Mens College Water Polo
ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Re: Where in the World is Jovan?

Postby ole'gauchos » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
ole'gauchos wrote:
Dinosaur dad wrote:Everyone knew for years that USC was either gaming the system or cheating. How do you get so many recruits, foreigners included with only 4.5 equivalency spots a year. It made no economic sense for the kids to go there unless there was some support included. Other coaches couldn't figure it out either. But they had their suspicions. Things are coming to light - a bit. Remember - follow the money.
So true! Would love to hear "OCNatives" commentary on this thread (lol)

Well it's a little off topic, but that's what we do here at WPP. This morning in the OC Register, it said that a Freshman HS football player received an scholarship offer and committed to play Football at USC. It said the offer came from the defensive coach I believe. How do you offrer a kid, who does not even have his first HS report card out yet, a commitment to USC??? Nothing wrong done by the kid here, but the coaching staff at USC ?

Maybe Football functions a different way and coaches are allowed to contact Freshmen I guess, but come on now

It’s called the Lane Kiffin special

:lol:

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:17 pm

ole'gauchos wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
ole'gauchos wrote:
Dinosaur dad wrote:Everyone knew for years that USC was either gaming the system or cheating. How do you get so many recruits, foreigners included with only 4.5 equivalency spots a year. It made no economic sense for the kids to go there unless there was some support included. Other coaches couldn't figure it out either. But they had their suspicions. Things are coming to light - a bit. Remember - follow the money.
So true! Would love to hear "OCNatives" commentary on this thread (lol)

Well it's a little off topic, but that's what we do here at WPP. This morning in the OC Register, it said that a Freshman HS football player received an scholarship offer and committed to play Football at USC. It said the offer came from the defensive coach I believe. How do you offrer a kid, who does not even have his first HS report card out yet, a commitment to USC??? Nothing wrong done by the kid here, but the coaching staff at USC ?

Maybe Football functions a different way and coaches are allowed to contact Freshmen I guess, but come on now

Well he got the last laugh. He is making close to $5 mil coaching at Ole Miss right now :shock:

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:40 am

Justafan22 wrote:
ole'gauchos wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
ole'gauchos wrote:So true! Would love to hear "OCNatives" commentary on this thread (lol)

Well he got the last laugh. He is making close to $5 mil coaching at Ole Miss right now :shock:

Since you got the last laugh, maybe you can start a new thread indicating so. Just a suggestion. ;-)

stickman

Postby stickman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:31 pm

[quote="Dinosaur dad"]Everyone knew for years that USC was either gaming the system or cheating. How do you get so many recruits, foreigners included with only 4.5 equivalency spots a year. It made no economic sense for the kids to go there unless there was some support included. Other coaches couldn't figure it out either. But they had their suspicions. Things are coming to light - a bit. Remember - follow the money.[/quote]

Jovan/SC got caught, but Singers scam had been going on for over a decade. How did schools like Cal and UCLA have equally stacked rosters with the same 4.5 scholarships?

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:50 pm

stickman wrote:

Jovan/SC got caught, but Singers scam had been going on for over a decade. How did schools like Cal and UCLA have equally stacked rosters with the same 4.5 scholarships?

Of course, and there are and have been other "Singers" out there. We would be foolish to think he was the only one doing it. Some are probably just lower profile and are not going after the elite schools only. For sure there are other investigations going on, that we know nothing about yet, and will come out. All it takes is for a little birdie to sing, and the can of worms is open, and I hope more get busted and that all the scammers are not getting good nights of sleep these days

FastBreak
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby FastBreak » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:00 pm

Let me throw this out there and see what people think. I know it would not be perfect and maybe some sort of 'deal" like this could work, within certain parameters.

Let's say I am super loaded like some of these parents are and my kid is not quite Princeton material, but he has good grades and I went to Princeton and made a fortune for myself, and now want to 'give back" and also want him to go to my Alma Mater

In exchange for accepting my kid into your college, I will also offer a full scholarship, 100% full ride, for a kid that has good grades but could never afford to go go to Princeton and live on campus and all those things. And I will let Professor ....... make the decision along with admissions, on recommending a kid for this scholarship. But of course, my kid has to be accepted also.

This would not apply if your own kid is just somebody that barely made it through high school of course. Or offer two scholarships. There are people out there that have this kind on money and would pay for this, and now you are putting two additional kids through college and debt free. Idea is kinda crazy, but it does help more then it hurts. I think. And it would be done out in the open, and could put a lot of these Rick Singers and shady coaches out of business. KInda like legalizing Marijuana. It's still a drug, but now it's legal to seel under certain parameters

(I just picked Princeton as an example)

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:18 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Let me throw this out there and see what people think. I know it would not be perfect and maybe some sort of 'deal" like this could work, within certain parameters.

Let's say I am super loaded like some of these parents are and my kid is not quite Princeton material, but he has good grades and I went to Princeton and made a fortune for myself, and now want to 'give back" and also want him to go to my Alma Mater

In exchange for accepting my kid into your college, I will also offer a full scholarship, 100% full ride, for a kid that has good grades but could never afford to go go to Princeton and live on campus and all those things. And I will let Professor ....... make the decision along with admissions, on recommending a kid for this scholarship. But of course, my kid has to be accepted also.

This would not apply if your own kid is just somebody that barely made it through high school of course. Or offer two scholarships. There are people out there that have this kind on money and would pay for this, and now you are putting two additional kids through college and debt free. Idea is kinda crazy, but it does help more then it hurts. I think. And it would be done out in the open, and could put a lot of these Rick Singers and shady coaches out of business. KInda like legalizing Marijuana. It's still a drug, but now it's legal to seel under certain parameters

(I just picked Princeton as an example)

The Ivies don’t need anyone to fund 2 scholarships. Their endowments are so big, everyone who needs money will get it (based on parents income). The higher earning parents pay full boat. Now if you want to stroke a check for $5m, which I’ve heard is the minimum to get a kid in, then you are are funding much more than 2 scholarships. I once worked with a guy who sent his daughter to Princeton. He happened to be between jobs and his wife was a retired lawyer. They paid $12k a year for tuition.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:21 pm

I am not fully enlightened on the entire college admissions issue, but I think the problem has to do with admissions having to do with merit not privilege. Honestly, a few million dollars is a relative pittance to most Ivy League colleges.

With regards to endowments, last I looked (about 5 years ago), Harvard had the largest endowment fund at about $34B. I calculated the University could fully pay for every student's tuition for about 12 years without receiving a single dollar more during that time. I think they were receiving an average of $1B in donations every year... But, many donations come with 'strings attached', for example only for the law school, or for a science building, etc., etc. so they can't simply do whatever they want with the money without pissing off donors (and you never want to do that).

For whatever it is worth - non-profits (education, health care, finance, etc.) are among the most profitable of businesses in our country. Non-profit is a misnomer - it doesn't mean the company doesn't make a profit on products and services, it simply means they cannot distribute profits to the owners. They can own property, pay employees and pay large executive compensation packages just like a for-profit company.

Dinosaur dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former plater, enthusiast, dad

Postby Dinosaur dad » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:58 am

"Non-profit is a misnomer" - well said

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:57 pm

oldtimer wrote:I am not fully enlightened on the entire college admissions issue, but I think the problem has to do with admissions having to do with merit not privilege. Honestly, a few million dollars is a relative pittance to most Ivy League colleges.

With regards to endowments, last I looked (about 5 years ago), Harvard had the largest endowment fund at about $34B. I calculated the University could fully pay for every student's tuition for about 12 years without receiving a single dollar more during that time. I think they were receiving an average of $1B in donations every year... But, many donations come with 'strings attached', for example only for the law school, or for a science building, etc., etc. so they can't simply do whatever they want with the money without pissing off donors (and you never want to do that).

For whatever it is worth - non-profits (education, health care, finance, etc.) are among the most profitable of businesses in our country. Non-profit is a misnomer - it doesn't mean the company doesn't make a profit on products and services, it simply means they cannot distribute profits to the owners. They can own property, pay employees and pay large executive compensation packages just like a for-profit company.

So what is the point of having these large endowments in the bank? If I am some highroller and say I donate $5M to a University, I'm going to tell them that they have to use it. They can't just put it in the bank. I'm donating, but you have to spend it, otherwise I will donate it to somebody else, or keep it in my own bank account

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:36 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
oldtimer wrote:I am not fully enlightened on the entire college admissions issue, but I think the problem has to do with admissions having to do with merit not privilege. Honestly, a few million dollars is a relative pittance to most Ivy League colleges.

So what is the point of having these large endowments in the bank? If I am some highroller and say I donate $5M to a University, I'm going to tell them that they have to use it. They can't just put it in the bank. I'm donating, but you have to spend it, otherwise I will donate it to somebody else, or keep it in my own bank account

They spend it, don’t worry

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:17 am

It depends on what was stipulated at the time of the donation. Some very large donations are used to fund school expansion - like adding a science curriculum (I believe someone donated $400M to Harvard for such an expansion). Some are for grants, etc. for specific purposes and are only given if students qualify for them. Often, however, they sit in the bank and collect interest just like any endowment fund. The interest can be spent on anything the school wishes, of course.

Sure, the funds are spent *eventually* - but when a school collects $1B/year in donations, it takes a bit of time to grow it to $34B - so I'd say some, if not most, is not spent very quickly. It depends on the school, of course, and I use Harvard as an extreme example. Few other universities (other than the Ivies) have anything near that much piled up.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:37 am

"Most", have no clue how it works. I am thankful for that...as it should be. I am very well schooled when it comes to "non-profits". My favorite non-profits of all-time is the City of LA who contracts out to to "caring non-profit corporations" who help manage their homeless population....millions/billions of dollars of taxpayer money is then given to a select few in CEO salaries who then contribute handsomely to those in power. It's always amazing to me how few people know what's actually going on. Anyway, "non-profit" water polo clubs are not "part of the problem". ;-)

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:26 pm

Former USC Associate AD Donna Heinel pleads guilty.

Her plea deal with federal prosecutors will see her serve a prison sentence of up to 46 months. Sentencing was scheduled for March 11.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/11 ... s-scandal/

No mention of JV whom is innocent until proven guilty.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”