Where in the World is Jovan?

Mens College Water Polo
Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Re: Where in the World is Jovan?

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:06 pm

desertbeachkid wrote:You can't compare USC to Yale and Georgetown. Facts are different. Those coaches were only enriching themselves. Vavic was enriching not just himself and his family but also (if I recall the facts correctly) enriching his program by funneling money to players/recruits (his kids), coaches and programs with the help of an AD. It's been awhile since I read the indictments so I could be wrong, but there's a much stronger case for lack of institutional control at USC, which would form the basis for NCAA sanctions. Just imagine if Singer were a booster and paying private high school tuition for a USC recruit and paying coaches as well. Do you really think the NCAA wouldn't care?

Singer was paying private high school tuition fees for 2 USC water polo recruits.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:16 pm

GoBears! wrote:If money was all it took then the program with the most money would win every year. It does work out that way, you have to have the players or coaching and staying overnight won't help.

The 4 wealthiest programs do win every year. The next best teams often can't even fund their 4.5 allowed scholarships.

GoBears! wrote:It might be morally bankrupt, but it should be between USC and their employees, not a federal case.

Why bother with laws at all?

GoBears! wrote:If it isn't that hard, then list them.

Off the top of my head,

Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Iceland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korean. There are many many more.

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:There is ample evidence of highly qualified students being denied admission to elite universities, while less qualified and even unqualified students are admitted.

That isn't equitable or ethical but it also isn't corrupt or criminal. And if there are no limits to enrolment how come they turn anyone qualified away? I'd be guessing because they only have the capacity to teach so many students.
Last edited by Cal Polo Enthusiast on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:
desertbeachkid wrote:You can't compare USC to Yale and Georgetown. Facts are different. Those coaches were only enriching themselves. Vavic was enriching not just himself and his family but also (if I recall the facts correctly) enriching his program by funneling money to players/recruits (his kids), coaches and programs with the help of an AD. It's been awhile since I read the indictments so I could be wrong, but there's a much stronger case for lack of institutional control at USC, which would form the basis for NCAA sanctions. Just imagine if Singer were a booster and paying private high school tuition for a USC recruit and paying coaches as well. Do you really think the NCAA wouldn't care?

Singer was paying private high school tuition fees for 2 USC water polo recruits.

You are referring to his kids. Not saying there is anything wrong with this, but said school got to play their homes games at said University. I believe they no longer play their home games there but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:52 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:

You are referring to his kids. Not saying there is anything wrong with this, but said school got to play their homes games at said University. I believe they no longer play their home games there but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I am and I'd be surprised if the NCAA will consider that any differently than they would any other sporting recruit getting their school fees paid to encourage them to go to USC even if they were almost certainly going there anyway.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:41 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:

I am and I'd be surprised if the NCAA will consider that any differently than they would any other sporting recruit getting their school fees paid to encourage them to go to USC even if they were almost certainly going there anyway.

Now, let's take a minute to try to wrap our heads around what must be going on, behind the scenes, in the big money making,NCAA football programs across the country :shock:

Dinosaur dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former plater, enthusiast, dad

Postby Dinosaur dad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:14 am

stickman wrote:While the USC water polo program definitely benefited from Vavics actions there will not be any penalties against the school, dept, or team.

The cases involving the tennis program at Yale, soccer program at UCLA, and sailing program at Stanford are long closed and no action was taken by the NCAA. USC water polo wont be treated any differently.

Hate Vavic and SC all you want, he gamed the system and benefitted from it, but remember; Singer was running this scam for over 20 years. It goes back to the 90’s. The only people busted were the ones involved in the last few years. Other prominent schools/coaches were involved. Have you ever wondered how the Big 4 became the Big 4? College water polo wasn’t always like it is now.

Well duh....as I previously noted
Everyone knew for years that USC was either gaming the system or cheating. How do you get so many recruits, foreigners included with only 4.5 equivalency spots a year. It made no economic sense for the kids to go there unless there was some support included. Other coaches couldn't figure it out either. But they had their suspicions. Things are coming to light - a bit. Remember - follow the money.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Dinosaur dad wrote:
stickman wrote:While the USC water polo program definitely benefited from Vavics actions there will not be any penalties against the school, dept, or team.

The cases involving the tennis program at Yale, soccer program at UCLA, and sailing program at Stanford are long closed and no action was taken by the NCAA. USC water polo wont be treated any differently.

Hate Vavic and SC all you want, he gamed the system and benefitted from it, but remember; Singer was running this scam for over 20 years. It goes back to the 90’s. The only people busted were the ones involved in the last few years. Other prominent schools/coaches were involved. Have you ever wondered how the Big 4 became the Big 4? College water polo wasn’t always like it is now.

Well duh....as I previously noted
Everyone knew for years that USC was either gaming the system or cheating. How do you get so many recruits, foreigners included with only 4.5 equivalency spots a year. It made no economic sense for the kids to go there unless there was some support included. Other coaches couldn't figure it out either. But they had their suspicions. Things are coming to light - a bit. Remember - follow the money.

Well as in most cases. Criminals always end up getting caught because they don't know when to stop. Like the guy who robs a bank and gets away with it. He will think "well that was easy, I think I'll do it again" And then again and again and then what happens, you get caught eventually.

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:50 am

stickman wrote:I’m not saying they shouldn’t be punished.
Just pointing out the fact that they haven’t been punished and it doesn’t look like their are going to be punished. And there’s certainly a lot of schools/coaches that got away with this scam for a long time and none of them will ever be punished…and thats the real tragedy.

I can think of other ways to punish USC MPSF needs to take away any hosting for them of the MPSF tournament and the NCAA should take away any hosting for the NCAA tournament. They could do this for ten years and that would be an interesting and somewhat justified.

stickman

Postby stickman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:01 pm

[quote="-32H20polo"][quote="stickman"]I’m not saying they shouldn’t be punished.
Just pointing out the fact that they haven’t been punished and it doesn’t look like their are going to be punished. And there’s certainly a lot of schools/coaches that got away with this scam for a long time and none of them will ever be punished…and thats the real tragedy.[/quote]
I can think of other ways to punish USC MPSF needs to take away any hosting for them of the MPSF tournament and the NCAA should take away any hosting for the NCAA tournament. They could do this for ten years and that would be an interesting and somewhat justified.[/quote]

Yes it would be interesting and justified, but it’s not going to happen.

Texas tennis coach
UCLA soccer coach
Stanford sailing coach
USD basketball coach
USC soccer coach
USC rowing coach
Wake Forest volleyball coach
Georgetown Tennis coach

All these cases have been done for over a year. Coaches fired, fined, etc…Zero involvement from NCAA. And these are just the cases from the 2018 FBI investigation. This has been going on since the 90’s…zero investigation by the NCAA.

It’s a huge can of worms and the NCAA doesnt want to touch it. It seems…as far as they’re concerned, let the courts punish the individuals that were caught and that’s the end of it.

So yes, Jovan will gets whats coming to him but the water polo program will continue unabated.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:19 pm

stickman wrote:
-32H20polo wrote:
stickman wrote:I’m not saying they shouldn’t be punished.
Just pointing out the fact that they haven’t been punished and it doesn’t look like their are going to be punished. And there’s certainly a lot of schools/coaches that got away with this scam for a long time and none of them will ever be punished…and thats the real tragedy.

I can think of other ways to punish USC MPSF needs to take away any hosting for them of the MPSF tournament and the NCAA should take away any hosting for the NCAA tournament. They could do this for ten years and that would be an interesting and somewhat justified.

Yes it would be interesting and justified, but it’s not going to happen.

Texas tennis coach
UCLA soccer coach
Stanford sailing coach
USD basketball coach
USC soccer coach
USC rowing coach
Wake Forest volleyball coach
Georgetown Tennis coach

All these cases have been done for over a year. Coaches fired, fined, etc…Zero involvement from NCAA. And these are just the cases from the 2018 FBI investigation. This has been going on since the 90’s…zero investigation by the NCAA.

It’s a huge can of worms and the NCAA doesnt want to touch it. It seems…as far as they’re concerned, let the courts punish the individuals that were caught and that’s the end of it.

So yes, Jovan will gets whats coming to him but the water polo program will continue unabated.

I think Jovan is different from most of these cases but I won’t get into it too deeply. I actually think the program benefited from it more than Jovan did (Loyola tuition aside). So I’m not a big believer he should go to jail. But I do think the program benefited and will get punished. There is a reason why Marko has not played since his fathers arrest. Someone is telling USC they could have to forfeit games if he plays. Which also puts that 2018 championship in jeopardy.

stickman

Postby stickman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:44 pm

Excellent point RB...that one of the individuals who benefitted was his son (who was also a player) could jeopardize any games he appeared in.
But I also recall reading that some money was used to fund the assistant coaching positions. Both of those assistants are now head coaches in the program...why would SC hire them to take over, but keep Marko out of the pool?

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:16 am

The NCAA has been neutered....essentially, their balls have been willingly cut-off. I no longer think justice will prevail. The world is upside-down,....pretty much anything goes. Good luck to all.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:15 pm

stickman wrote:Excellent point RB...that one of the individuals who benefitted was his son (who was also a player) could jeopardize any games he appeared in.
But I also recall reading that some money was used to fund the assistant coaching positions. Both of those assistants are now head coaches in the program...why would SC hire them to take over, but keep Marko out of the pool?

I don't think the indictment ever said who the assistants were. I wouldn't assume it was Pinta and Casey, who would be salaried employees of USC. There were assistants below them that may not of been officially paid assistants.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:14 pm

I believe that money went to volunteer assistants. For years you could only have 1 paid coach on deck.

Swearengen
How are you connected to water polo?: mayor

Postby Swearengen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:10 pm

One of their assistants bailed immediately after the news came out. Like, immediately.
"I'm declaring myself conductor of this meeting as I have the bribe sheet." - Al Swearengen

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”