2019 WWPA Championships

Mens College Water Polo
lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

2019 WWPA Championships

Postby lovethisgame » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:00 pm

They are being hosted at Cal Baptist this year, starting tomorrow morning. Top three seeds are:
1. UC Davis (10th in latest college poll)
2. UC San Diego (11)
3. Loyola Marymount (12)

Schedule and all seeds: http://www.thewwpa.com/article/572.php
CBU is live-streaming all the matches here: https://www.youtube.com/cbulancers
Live stats on The Fosh

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: 2019 WWPA Championships

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 pm

LMU loses to Santa Clara in OT 10:11. Santa Clara equalized with one second left in regulation to force the overtime.

bardownbro
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby bardownbro » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:15 am

wpolo93 wrote:LMU loses to Santa Clara in OT 10:11. Santa Clara equalized with one second left in regulation to force the overtime.

Was watching the game and it was an absolute thriller. My son plays for FPU but games like this is why I love the sport. Santa Clara did a great job shutting down the euros on LMU, Carrasco and Mitrovic. Last time they played it was over by halftime and Carrasco put away 7 goals abusing Santa Clara on the counter attack. This time around SCUs 1/2 attackers, Kirk and Werner, did a very good job facilitating and controlling the pace at which Carrasco was playing. Carey and Mitrovic were going back on forth on the offensive end with Mitrovic(WWPA player of the year) putting in 3 but Carey outplayed him and put up 5 including a buzzer beater to send the game to overtime. Overall it was a great team effort from the Broncos and huge upset for them, the second win against the 12th team in the country in the past week. After the game it appeared the LMU players were very upset, Carrasco didn't even get out of the pool to shake hands and swam away and Mitrovic was jawing off at the refs forcing his coach to yell at him to back off.
Last edited by bardownbro on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bardownbro

Postby bardownbro » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:22 am

Other scores around the conference from today
#1 UCD 21-3 #8 FPU
#4 CBU 12-6 #5 CUI
#2 UCSD 14-10 #7 AF

Go Birds!
Last edited by bardownbro on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 am

I couldn’t believe the Santa Clara/LMU result when I saw it; thanks for providing the background! Wow. Good for Santa Clara. That’s why you play the games, whatever the rankings are. Could be a gift-wrapped semi for San Diego, or maybe Santa Clara is peaking at the right time and it could be very interesting. Love this time of year!

bardownbro

Postby bardownbro » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 am

lovethisgame wrote:I couldn’t believe the Santa Clara/LMU result when I saw it; thanks for providing the background! Wow. Good for Santa Clara. That’s why you play the games, whatever the rankings are. Could be a gift-wrapped semi for San Diego, or maybe Santa Clara is peaking at the right time and it could be very interesting. Love this time of year!

From the look of it Santa Clara is in peak form. They beat a very solid San Jose State team last week who was ranked #12 and then beat LMU who moved into the #12 ranking because Santa Clara upset San Jose. Also looking back at Santa Clara's last game with UCSD, they nearly upset the Tritons only losing by 2. I think we should expect to see a very good game tomorrow. Hopefully Cal Baptist can give UC Davis a close one as well!

As Always,
Go Birds!
Last edited by bardownbro on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovethisgame

Postby lovethisgame » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Davis vs CBU was more exciting than the score looks. CBU took advantage of a great home crowd and a lot of energy to give Davis a great game. Davis vs winner of UCSD or Santa Clara tomorrow at noon for the championship and NCAA berth.

A lot of swirl around CTL from San Diego and what is actually happening there. Anyone have facts?

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:29 pm

UCSD beat Santa Clara by one in a very close game. No #11 in the lineup for San Diego. Tomorrow, UC Davis plays UCSD for the NCAA berth.

bardownbro

Postby bardownbro » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Amazing that Santa Clara was almost able to upset the 2 seed as well. The fosh had it at 4-4 going into the fourth. Glad both the semifinal games were close! Can't wait for tomorrow!

As Always,
Go Birds!
Last edited by bardownbro on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FlyEaglesFly
How are you connected to water polo?: Super Fan of Concordia polo. Played at Stanford in the 80’s

Postby FlyEaglesFly » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:17 am

Crazy slate of games today at WWPAs. Unfortunately the Eagles lost a wire to wire game against the Lions, but the semis lived up to the hype. CBU had a good game against Davis but weren’t able to slow the counter in the 4th. The Santa Clara vs San Diego game was an instant classic. Hopefully the finals will be close as well as the third place. Watch out because the eagles are comin for the chip’ in 2020.

As always,

Fly eagles fly 8)
Last edited by FlyEaglesFly on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornershot
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Cornershot » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:08 am

wpolo93 wrote:Based on what a certain four-nick (is it more now?) Newport persona has written on WPP over several years, it is hard to feel sorry for the expelled kid. A very good player though.

Skyler is a great player and is the best player on that team.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:18 am

I am not going to argue who is a better player, 2 otr 11. Both are very good smart players. 11 has a much better shot, 2 is faster, no?

bardownbro

Postby bardownbro » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:22 am

wpolo93 wrote:I am not going to argue who is a better player, 2 otr 11. Both are very good smart players. 11 has a much better shot, 2 is faster, no?

From watching them both play I would say #2 Skylar Munatones is the better overall player. Usually he plays the 4/5 side where he facilitates the offense for the Tritons pushing the counterattack with his speed and making some beautiful passes. Defensively he uses that speed and quickness to guard some very good players. #11 Connor Turnbow Lindenstat on the other hand definitely has a nice shot and plays the 1/2 side where he takes the bulk of the shots for the Tritons. Some would say he takes too many shots but being their go to scorer its hard to argue sometimes. Defensively he jumps for any steal and will leave to counter early for the easy goals though sometimes leaving his defense very vulnerable. That is just my impression of both players obviously they are both very good and have had/ are having great careers.

As Always,
Go Birds!

SocalPoloDude667
How are you connected to water polo?: Father to a young 14 year old whose life revolves around water polo!

Postby SocalPoloDude667 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:01 pm

wpolo93 wrote:I am not going to argue who is a better player, 2 otr 11. Both are very good smart players. 11 has a much better shot, 2 is faster, no?

Skylar does appear to be the better overall player. He plays calm, composed and collected in all aspects of the game. Took my son to watch the WWPA semifinal SCU vs UCSD. Skylar put the Broncos away on an outside shot with 22 seconds left in the game. Not well versed on this CTL player, but haven’t heard respectable things. Hoping things work out well for him in the real world.
Congrats to the Tritons on a good win. UCD-UCSD should be interesting.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Again, to be completely honest, I do not feel bad that #11 has finished his college water polo career. But, to be fair, his defence has somewhat improved over the last 2+ years and he is a deadly shooter. #11 got more all- conference, all- tournament accolades than #2 during his freshman and sophomore season. Still, if I had to choose, I would rather #2 over #11 on my team. Intangibles...

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”