2019 NCAA Championships

Mens College Water Polo
retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

2019 NCAA Championships

Postby retiredguy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Alright we’ve talked about who got it and who didn’t...now let’s talk about the actual games. Here are the major questions in my mind:

1) Can undefeated Harvard give USC a game? The magic of Jovan is definitely missing from USC and we have seen them lose some games they never lost in the past.

2) Will UC Davis upset Pepperdine and maybe even Pacific? The Aggies rolled through everyone at the WWPA tourney and Leyson is a fantastic game day coach.

3) Can Vargas and Stanford get over the hump and win the big one? It’s been forever with a number of finals appearances. USC in the semi is going to be a tester that will wear them out for Sunday.

4) Will the home pool advantage mean anything for Pacific? They looked horrible at the GCC tourney, inept defensively. In 2013 they also had a terrible conference tourney performance and rebounded to an epic final.

poloshark

Re: 2019 NCAA Championships

Postby poloshark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:14 pm

1. Harvard just is not battle tested enough to challenge USC... USC Big 14-8

2. Davis is a great squad but I don't think they will be able to stop Dillworth. Pepp 13- Davis 11 in a close battle

3. Going with the best player in the pool in the Stanford vs USC game. Ben with a big game 12-11 Stanford wins

4. OK, If you tried to get tickets on Sunday for the NCAA's you were out of luck they were all gone. I have friends from USC that tried all day Monday to get them, they are being told that they are sold out. Tickets went on sale in September, but who is going to by them before you get in? UOP that is who, I think they were flat this weekend because they already knew they were in. Heck word on the Deck at the GCC's was they were staying an extra night to go to Disneyland on Monday to Celebrate.

If you have been to UOP, it is not a large venue, it is sad that if the parents of teams that come up can not get in to see there kids play but hey they can watch from the Big Screen that James sets up in the Parking lot... So Yes Home Pool advantage will matter at this NCAA more than any that has been before.

For this reason, UOP has to be the Favorite.

stickman

Postby stickman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm

I stopped making predictions a few years ago because I’m so bad at it, but I cant resist.

1. USC wont make the final for the first time since 2004.

2. I’m putting the over/under at 27 and taking the over. The most goals scored in a final is 26, (2018: USC-14 Stanford-12). Before that it was 25, twice (1988: Cal-14 UCLA-11 and 1976: Stanford-13 UCLA-12).

3. Stanford-16 Pacific-14

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Great kick-off questions retiredguy. Here's my 1.3 cents:

1. I think Harvard goes down hard to USC. Harvard's schedule this year was just too soft, and USC is going to have a chip on their shoulder.
2. I could see Davis upsetting Pepperdine for exactly the reason you mention: Leyson. Two upsets in a row would be a tall order, but I think that the Davis/Pepperdine game is going to be great.
3. My money is on Stanford for the tournament; I think Hallock pushes them over the line.
4. I think home pool will be meaningful for Pacific; it's a tough place to play for visiting teams. And Jeff Graham, like Leyson, is a great tactician. I don't see them looking like they did in the GCC tournament.

Bonus question: If USC wins the whole thing (which I am not ruling out with that much talent), will it be...weird? Everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop from the scandal, and many have noted that abdicating championships and/or a postseason ban are potential outcomes. I assumed the NCAA or USC would have done something by now. Maybe this group's accomplishments are left untouched because they are post-Jovan?

Unrelated to all of the above: does the NCAA have an online rulebook/guide for the championships that covers things like OT format, roster sizes, etc.?

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Also confirming: I just called the Pacific box office and tickets for the weekend games are already sold out. They are selling the tickets as a full weekend pass for $40, and they are gone. If there end up being parents of a kid in the final who can't watch their own son play...that sucks. I don't know the seating capacity at Pacific, but I know it's not huge.

I suppose Pacific was picked because of an argument based on fairness, i.e. that the host school should rotate. That type of thinking is short-sighted and hurts growth and visibility. The national championship should be held at the largest possible venue with good travel access, then marketed like hell. Maybe the future USA Water Polo facility solves this problem and becomes a host. But until then...these types of decisions do not help our sport.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49 pm

lovethisgame wrote:Great kick-off questions retiredguy. Here's my 1.3 cents:

1. I think Harvard goes down hard to USC. Harvard's schedule this year was just too soft, and USC is going to have a chip on their shoulder.
2. I could see Davis upsetting Pepperdine for exactly the reason you mention: Leyson. Two upsets in a row would be a tall order, but I think that the Davis/Pepperdine game is going to be great.
3. My money is on Stanford for the tournament; I think Hallock pushes them over the line.
4. I think home pool will be meaningful for Pacific; it's a tough place to play for visiting teams. And Jeff Graham, like Leyson, is a great tactician. I don't see them looking like they did in the GCC tournament.

Bonus question: If USC wins the whole thing (which I am not ruling out with that much talent), will it be...weird? Everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop from the scandal, and many have noted that abdicating championships and/or a postseason ban are potential outcomes. I assumed the NCAA or USC would have done something by now. Maybe this group's accomplishments are left untouched because they are post-Jovan?

Unrelated to all of the above: does the NCAA have an online rulebook/guide for the championships that covers things like OT format, roster sizes, etc.?

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... Manual.pdf

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:56 pm

lovethisgame wrote:Also confirming: I just called the Pacific box office and tickets for the weekend games are already sold out. They are selling the tickets as a full weekend pass for $40, and they are gone. If there end up being parents of a kid in the final who can't watch their own son play...that sucks. I don't know the seating capacity at Pacific, but I know it's not huge.

I suppose Pacific was picked because of an argument based on fairness, i.e. that the host school should rotate. That type of thinking is short-sighted and hurts growth and visibility. The national championship should be held at the largest possible venue with good travel access, then marketed like hell. Maybe the future USA Water Polo facility solves this problem and becomes a host. But until then...these types of decisions do not help our sport.

I would be stunned if the schools aren’t given blocks of tickets for family and VIPs. UOP probably gets a bigger block so they can give free tickets to students.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:04 pm

RB,

Families calling on Monday were told there are not blocks for schools and they are sold out and no more will be released... That seems really fishy, and sad for all the other teams.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Not really that fishy, UCLA sold out in 2015 really fast too. Pacific has been marketing this event for the last year and I’d imagine a lot of youth and high school teams from the area will be attending.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:17 pm

They should still give blocks to schools that are coming. Yes UCLA sold out quick... places like UCLA, Pacific could not host, there facilities are just to small. USC, Stanford, Wollett, the new Facility that USA is building. I am not sure of the East Coast schools and how large they are.

Also if you can bring in stands, I know Long Beach Did when it hosted the MPSF... but you have to make it accessible to as many as we can get in there. That is how we grow our sport. Not a home crowd that gives one team an advantage.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:19 pm

poloshark wrote:RB,

Families calling on Monday were told there are not blocks for schools and they are sold out and no more will be released... That seems really fishy, and sad for all the other teams.

They should contact the UCLA parents who were smart enough to order them. That is pretty odd that the schools don’t get any blocks.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 pm

poloshark wrote:They should still give blocks to schools that are coming. Yes UCLA sold out quick... places like UCLA, Pacific could not host, there facilities are just to small. USC, Stanford, Wollett, the new Facility that USA is building. I am not sure of the East Coast schools and how large they are.

Also if you can bring in stands, I know Long Beach Did when it hosted the MPSF... but you have to make it accessible to as many as we can get in there. That is how we grow our sport. Not a home crowd that gives one team an advantage.

UCLA adds stands when they host. But I agree, Stanford is by far the best. USC is number 2. Didn’t it used to be at the old Belmont Plaza? I vaguely remember watching Wolf Wigo’s Stanford team win there in the 90’s. Wollett is way too small for the championship.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:Wollett is way too small for the championship.

Woollett is too small for Boys and Girls CIF D1 Championships! They need to add stands on the grassy side of the main pool. Some sort of shade would be great too.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Wollett is still larger than UOP and you can add stands to the hillside. Just saying UOP is not a place for a LARGE event... they do a great job on normal games but just very small. Does anyone one have a seat capacity for normal games and what was added for NCAA?

718BingBang

Postby 718BingBang » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm

They are expanding and adding seats for championships

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”