2020 Season Likelihood

Mens College Water Polo
2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 2020 Season Likelihood

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:46 pm

There isn't going to be a fall season folks...to speak of anyway. Better find another hobby.

desertbeachkid
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby desertbeachkid » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:35 pm

There could still be water polo, but only at schools with money making football: Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, and San Jose State. That said, since that's a pretty small group, I can easily see the scenario where those schools agree not to have a water polo season. So, my bet is no water polo this fall.

Jollygreenfifteen
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Jollygreenfifteen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Athletic programs that depend on D1 football for 75%+ of their revenue will be challenged across all sports without a football season, whereas schools that don’t depend on football revenue may not be affected much

kna
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby kna » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:45 pm

desertbeachkid
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby desertbeachkid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:33 pm

All the dominos are about to start falling. It's just a question of whether the football-water-polo schools will have some kind of season this fall. Hopefully things improve enough by the spring so these players can have a mini season.

Presidio
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby Presidio » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:38 pm

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 pm

The Ivy League just cancelled all fall sports.

How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby 3470 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:26 pm

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Postby dadonthedeck » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:02 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:The Ivy League just cancelled all fall sports.

Everyone will be undefeated!

madone
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, enthusiast

Postby madone » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:47 am

there won't be a fall season or a spring season if our government continues it's every man for himself pandemic policy. I don't care what your politics are, there is no way that schools or cities can tackle this on their own. It will literally mean the end of widespread public life in the us, especially since recent research indicates that herd immunity is not possible against covid without a vaccine. We haven't taken this seriously and the cost to our athletes will be significant.

The long-term impacts of having no national policy could have major long-term impacts on sports across the entire society. When the Ohio State AD says he's concerned about not playing football and they stop football practices, that's the red flag. “We’re not in a good place. I would have a hard time doing something different than the (Centers for Disease Control) guidelines — if we’re able to have fans in the stands. Two months ago I was cautiously optimistic, but I’ve lost that.”

I hope people start wearing masks and engaging this thing as real. If for no other reason that our youth need the same opportunities we had to play the sport we all love!

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09 pm

madone wrote:there won't be a fall season or a spring season if our government continues it's every man for himself pandemic policy. I don't care what your politics are, there is no way that schools or cities can tackle this on their own. It will literally mean the end of widespread public life in the us, especially since recent research indicates that herd immunity is not possible against covid without a vaccine. We haven't taken this seriously and the cost to our athletes will be significant.

The long-term impacts of having no national policy could have major long-term impacts on sports across the entire society. When the Ohio State AD says he's concerned about not playing football and they stop football practices, that's the red flag. “We’re not in a good place. I would have a hard time doing something different than the (Centers for Disease Control) guidelines — if we’re able to have fans in the stands. Two months ago I was cautiously optimistic, but I’ve lost that.”

I hope people start wearing masks and engaging this thing as real. If for no other reason that our youth need the same opportunities we had to play the sport we all love!

Well said. Agree 1000%!

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:57 pm

madone wrote:I don't care what your politics are, there is no way that schools or cities can tackle this on their own.

Agree.

Polodad

Postby Polodad » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:20 pm

madone wrote:there won't be a fall season or a spring season if our government continues it's every man for himself pandemic policy. I don't care what your politics are, there is no way that schools or cities can tackle this on their own. It will literally mean the end of widespread public life in the us, especially since recent research indicates that herd immunity is not possible against covid without a vaccine. We haven't taken this seriously and the cost to our athletes will be significant.

Thanks for the post. I agree completely. I think the older cohort (that's me)may be housebound for another 12 to 18 months. We just rolled back restaurant openings with physical distance in Alameda county as cases start to rise again.

stickman

Postby stickman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Several more schools announced this week they will not be participating in Fall sports. Has anyone heard of any colleges that are still planning to play or practice?

HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 pm

From the SCIAC, the only schools who have not said anything about participation this Fall are Cal Lutheran, Redlands, Chapman, LaVerne, and CalTech.

CMS, Occidental, Pomona-Pitzer, and Whittier are the only ones who have elected not to participate. I haven't heard anything about the aforementioned teams actively practicing though

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”