2021 Season

Mens College Water Polo
CPR

Re: 2021 Season

Postby CPR » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Keith Wilbur has been the coach at SCU for about 20 years. Good guy, good coach. He played at Princeton and I believe he was part of the Nat team in the mid-late 90’s. He coaches both the men’s and women’s team.

They’ve generally been a top 4 or 5 team in the WWPA but they have never won a conference title.

They’re a division I program, but I believe they only have 1 scholarship. (Not all D1 programs get the full allotment…as a matter of fact, most do not.)

The schools admit rate is significantly lower than their acceptance rate…primarily because of the high cost and limited financial support (unless you really know how to work the FAFSA system.)

I’d compare Santa Clara to a Bucknell U or George Washington U. Comparable academic standards, cost and depending on the year, similar level of water polo programs.

They’re a perfect example of how competitive a team with limited scholarships and no foreign players can be in todays water polo climate.
Coach/Player/Ref

Dinosaur dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former plater, enthusiast, dad

Postby Dinosaur dad » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:55 pm

P0L0 wrote:
MattsDad wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
MattsDad wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Just an FYI...it's not a nightmare when so much money is coming their way,...regardless. It's a nice place to be...believe me.

SCU has a lovely campus in the middle of Silicon Valley. Graduates are exposed to everything the Valley has to offer. Undergrad enrollment is 5500-6000. Small class sizes. The school is quite generous with grants( based on personal experience). The school is not a water polo destination but it is great for preparing for life after water polo.

Yes agreed. Like the next 50 yrs after Waterpolo is over with :-)

I believe they are Div 1 in sports, and the women's soccer team did win the NCAA championship last year, so in some sports they may be strong.
Probably do not push waterpolo too hard, which also means their players may not have to put as much time training as other top programs.

I just don't see how some kids do it. Going to a tough academic school and playing for a strong sport, where they sometimes practice two a day, and spend so much time in the pool, or field or gym, and still do their academic work. It's crazy. I played a club sport in college and that was a real nice happy medium for me. I was not good enough to play on the school team anyways. So no coach yelling at me. No 6;00 am practices :lol:

SCU does not have a football program to fund the other NCAA sports. Their famous sports alumni are Steve Nash and Julie Ertz.

Given its proximity to Silicon Valley, SCU has some of the best paid graduates in the country.

https://www.payscale.com/college-salary ... /bachelors

That is impressive company in the top 10!

"If you can afford that school, in many cases, you've probably already got some means, connections and privilege already set up.

Here's how the Santa Clara recruiting conversation goes:

"So you didn't get into Cal or Stanford, but you don't want to tell your Family and Friends that you're settling for a Cal State - well then have I got a school for you!!

P.S. - your parents drive a Range Rover, right?""

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:03 am

CPR wrote:Keith Wilbur has been the coach at SCU for about 20 years. Good guy, good coach. He played at Princeton and I believe he was part of the Nat team in the mid-late 90’s. He coaches both the men’s and women’s team.

They’ve generally been a top 4 or 5 team in the WWPA but they have never won a conference title.

They’re a division I program, but I believe they only have 1 scholarship. (Not all D1 programs get the full allotment…as a matter of fact, most do not.)

The schools admit rate is significantly lower than their acceptance rate…primarily because of the high cost and limited financial support (unless you really know how to work the FAFSA system.)

I’d compare Santa Clara to a Bucknell U or George Washington U. Comparable academic standards, cost and depending on the year, similar level of water polo programs.

They’re a perfect example of how competitive a team with limited scholarships and no foreign players can be in todays water polo climate.

This is an example of a perfect descriptive...thanks CPR.

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:41 am

MattsDad wrote:SCU does not have a football program to fund the other NCAA sports. Their famous sports alumni are Steve Nash and Julie Ertz.

Let’s not also forget SF 49ers Tight End, Brent Jones (Leland High-San Jose) and Los Angeles Lakers Forward, Kurt Rambis (Cupertino High)

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:31 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
CPR wrote:Keith Wilbur has been the coach at SCU for about 20 years. Good guy, good coach. He played at Princeton and I believe he was part of the Nat team in the mid-late 90’s. He coaches both the men’s and women’s team.

This is an example of a perfect descriptive...thanks CPR.

They actually list a woman as head coach of the women's team now. Maybe Wilbur is just coaching the men's now

wpviewer
How are you connected to water polo?: supporter

Postby wpviewer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:53 pm

Water-Polo-Fan wrote:
MattsDad wrote:SCU does not have a football program to fund the other NCAA sports. Their famous sports alumni are Steve Nash and Julie Ertz.

Let’s not also forget SF 49ers Tight End, Brent Jones (Leland High-San Jose) and Los Angeles Lakers Forward, Kurt Rambis (Cupertino High)

Most famous sports bra exhibitor of all time - Brandi Chastain

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 am

wpviewer wrote:Most famous sports bra exhibitor of all time - Brandi Chastain

Well played, Sir. :D

butterybarin10
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby butterybarin10 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Looks like pacific beat uscb after losing to them by 8 goals less then a month ago! Is UOP getting better or is UCSB playing worse ?

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 am

butterybarin10 wrote:Looks like pacific beat uscb after losing to them by 8 goals less then a month ago! Is UOP getting better or is UCSB playing worse ?

I watched todays match-up. UCSB had nothin' going on at center,...and worse, I believe they were 1 for 10 on man-up. Pretty tough to win any game with such a dreadful 6v5 percentage.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:02 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
butterybarin10 wrote:Looks like pacific beat uscb after losing to them by 8 goals less then a month ago! Is UOP getting better or is UCSB playing worse ?

I watched todays match-up. UCSB had nothin' going on at center,...and worse, I believe they were 1 for 10 on man-up. Pretty tough to win any game with such a dreadful 6v5 percentage.

UOP have improved and UCSB haven't been playing well for a couple of weeks.

UOP started well and UCSB were very poor in the first half. Tough to come back from 5-1 down especially when failing to convert so many powerplays. No idea why they passed in to the hole so infrequently when Nangle was by far their most dangerous player with 3 goals from 5 shots. The other Australian in the pool was UOP's best player.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:43 am

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

UOP started well and UCSB were very poor in the first half. Tough to come back from 5-1 down especially when failing to convert so many powerplays. No idea why they passed in to the hole so infrequently when Nangle was by far their most dangerous player with 3 goals from 5 shots. The other Australian in the pool was UOP's best player.

Never liked Wigo.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:29 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

Never liked Wigo.

Why? I don't know him but he seems like a good coach.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:40 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

Never liked Wigo.

Why? I don't know him but he seems like a good coach.

At some point you have to win to be considered a good coach. Even in 2019 when they played the best they have in years, they couldn’t pull off winning the GCC tournament. He makes some nice Kap7 videos though.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:At some point you have to win to be considered a good coach. Even in 2019 when they played the best they have in years, they couldn’t pull off winning the GCC tournament. He makes some nice Kap7 videos though.

UCSB gives up 12-7 halftime lead and loses 14-13 to Cal.

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:48 pm

Wolf read 2ply’s dislike of him on this message board at halftime against Cal and it all fell apart from there.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”