2021 Season

Mens College Water Polo
UberPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Taxi service, bank, cheering section, occasional coach.
Oh... and parent.

Re: 2021 Season

Postby UberPolo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Comeback of the year

BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - love watching the game, from youth to masters.

Postby BayBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Weinberg 17 saves.
1 UCSB goal after halftime.
Papanikolaou 5 goals on 5 shots with 10 dex. Wow.

OCWaterpolofan29
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:41 pm

BayBoy wrote:Weinberg 17 saves.

Papanikolaou is the best player in college I think this definitely solidifies it.

Presidio
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby Presidio » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:06 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:At some point you have to win to be considered a good coach. Even in 2019 when they played the best they have in years, they couldn’t pull off winning the GCC tournament. He makes some nice Kap7 videos though.

UCSB gives up 12-7 halftime lead and loses 14-13 to Cal.

Life is a little too easy at the beach in Santa Barbara, not much grit up there unless you’re talking about their homeless problem.

Is the Fosh right, 13-1 Stanford over Davis today? Ouch!

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Horse585 wrote:Wolf read 2ply’s dislike of him on this message board at halftime against Cal and it all fell apart from there.

Ha! Good one....you never know. Also, some kind of energy zapping nematodes are in the water up there.

UberPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Taxi service, bank, cheering section, occasional coach.
Oh... and parent.

Postby UberPolo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:40 pm

Beast!

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 pm

OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:

Papanikolaou is the best player in college I think this definitely solidifies it.

Agree. He was the best player last year also.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:38 am

SwimCoach wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:

Yea, I'm jumping in on the congratulatory piling-on as well. Just when you think he's down for the count, he rises to the occasion....again, and again. I know quality when I see it.

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:

Yea, I'm jumping in on the congratulatory piling-on as well. Just when you think he's down for the count, he rises to the occasion....again, and again. I know quality when I see it.

Also just won MPSF player of the week. I would be surprised if he doesn’t win MPSF player of the year and the cutino. I think it might be a one man race at this point.

UberPolo
Oh... and parent.

Postby UberPolo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 pm

Def Cutino material

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:43 pm

OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:

Also just won MPSF player of the week. I would be surprised if he doesn’t win MPSF player of the year and the cutino. I think it might be a one man race at this point.

It’s definitely a one man race. Of the pre season favorites, Porter is the only other one worthy of votes.

butterybarin10
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby butterybarin10 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:Papanikolaou is the best player in college I think this definitely solidifies it.

It’s definitely a one man race. Of the pre season favorites, Porter is the only other one worthy of votes.

The only others I could see possibly being Cutino award finalists are Saviljic, Abramson, and Mercep but it would probably take a NCAA championship for them to get a nod over Papanikolaou. Porter, Weinberg, and Maurizi have all played great this season for goalies but I think Porter deserves it with him being a senior and the way he’s played the last 4 years.

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 pm

butterybarin10 wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:

The only others I could see possibly being Cutino award finalists are Saviljic, Abramson, and Mercep but it would probably take a NCAA championship for them to get a nod over Papanikolaou. Porter, Weinberg, and Maurizi have all played great this season for goalies but I think Porter deserves it with him being a senior and the way he’s played the last 4 years.

There’s 3 USA guys and 5 euros scoring 90 % of all goals at Cal. The entire bench 9 thru 20 whatever has 58 goals . Papa alone has 50 That’s 2 subs and a starting line running team. Sure he’s looking good no one else is playing to score. The team is not deep and relies on him to make it happen. Who ever wins the ncaa wins the Catino not the player that scored the most to lose. You have to win to win

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Nohorsepolo wrote:
There’s 3 USA guys and 5 euros scoring 90 % of all goals at Cal. The entire bench 9 thru 20 whatever has 58 goals . Papa alone has 50 That’s 2 subs and a starting line running team. Sure he’s looking good no one else is playing to score. The team is not deep and relies on him to make it happen. Who ever wins the ncaa wins the Catino not the player that scored the most to lose. You have to win to win

A male water polo player has won the Cutino Award 22 times. Ten of the 22 winners didn't play for the team that won the NCAA championship in the year in question, including seven of the ten winners from 2010 through 2019.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Nohorsepolo wrote:
butterybarin10 wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:Yea, I'm jumping in on the congratulatory piling-on as well. Just when you think he's down for the count, he rises to the occasion....again, and again. I know quality when I see it.

Sounds a lot like the offense Stanford used with Ben Hallock. Feed the beast over and over and over. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I think Cal has a lot of turnovers trying to make stuff happen at center that isn’t always there. Nothing wrong with leaning on a player like that. It can cost you when it counts though if it’s too big of a crutch.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”