2021 Season

Mens College Water Polo
Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2021 Season

Postby Justafan22 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:33 pm

WPhan wrote:The unsung hero of USC's win was grad transfer Wyatt Barker who drew 5 exclusions on the Bruins. I know Barker is getting his MBA at USC in Finance, but looks like he's already a "Cum Laude Graduate " of the Vlade Divac School of Flopping :-)

He is not quite there yet. Vlade was the master at it :lol:

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:55 pm

WPhan wrote:Thanks for elevating the conversation on this board from the typical twitter-length "flame fest" to insight about all things Water Polo. I especially liked your comments about the "talent pipeline" of emerging younger American players who would be possibilities for Team USA at the 2024 Olympics. I have an interest in that "pipeline" - who are those emerging players, who recruits and develops them and how you expand the pipeline at the junior and high school level.

Yes thank you Bay Boy for the unbiased post that added some value to the board. Maybe SCPhan will learn something from it on how to post on this board.

WPhan
How are you connected to water polo?: College Water Polo fan

Postby WPhan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:48 pm

I already know how to post on internet sports boards including the premium (paid) ones like The Athletic. As a quick refresher, here are the Athletic guidelines:
No %#!holes - Treat others with respect.
No Hate - No abuse or hateful conduct.
No Trolls - Leave the baiting for other social media platforms.
No Spam - Leave the self-promotion at the door.

All Code of Conduct violations are taken seriously and can result in a loss of community.

desertbeachkid
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby desertbeachkid » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Any thoughts on whether Stanford has to win MPSF to get into NCAAs?

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:51 pm

desertbeachkid wrote:Any thoughts on whether Stanford has to win MPSF to get into NCAAs?

They have no shot to win MPSF. But, they still have a chance. If UCLA loses to Cal next weekend, and finishes 4th at MPSF, it’s possible they jump UCLA. That’s the only path I see.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm

WPhan wrote:I already know how to post on internet sports boards including the premium (paid) ones like The Athletic. As a quick refresher, here are the Athletic guidelines:

All Code of Conduct violations are taken seriously and can result in a loss of community.

You forgot to mention that if you are an insufferable homer, then you get dunked on by other commenters.

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:00 pm

desertbeachkid wrote:Any thoughts on whether Stanford has to win MPSF to get into NCAAs?

I don’t think they do, but they’d need help from UCLA. UCLA would likely have to beat Cal in the semi’s. If Stanford doesn’t win MPSF’s, they’ll need to finish ahead of Cal for a chance at an at large bid. If Stanford loses to Cal in the championship I’m guessing Stanford’s out. If Stanford gets second and Cal gets 3rd or 4th or if Stanford beats Cal in the 3rd place game I could see Stanford getting in.

I could see it going several ways the more I think about it. But I think Stanford would benefit from UCLA beating Cal on the 13th and at MPSF’s. Stanford only being 0-1 vs Cal with the loss being in OT, Cal’s loss to Pepperdine, and Stanford being 0-2 vs UCLA makes me think it’d be easier for them to jump Cal than UCLA, but who knows.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:07 pm

H2Opolo10 wrote:

I don’t think they do, but they’d need help from UCLA. UCLA would likely have to beat Cal in the semi’s. If Stanford doesn’t win MPSF’s, they’ll need to finish ahead of Cal for a chance at an at large bid. If Stanford loses to Cal in the championship I’m guessing Stanford’s out. If Stanford gets second and Cal gets 3rd or 4th or if Stanford beats Cal in the 3rd place game I could see Stanford getting in.

I could see it going several ways the more I think about it. But I think Stanford would benefit from UCLA beating Cal on the 13th and at MPSF’s. Stanford only being 0-1 vs Cal with the loss being in OT, Cal’s loss to Pepperdine, and Stanford being 0-2 vs UCLA makes me think it’d be easier for them to jump Cal than UCLA, but who knows.

Cal has the only win vs USC though, which will carry a lot of weight. It’s a long shot for Stanford at this point.

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
H2Opolo10 wrote:

Cal has the only win vs USC though, which will carry a lot of weight. It’s a long shot for Stanford at this point.

True. In all likelihood Stanford finishes 4th. But if Stanford upsets SC in the semi’s and then SC beats the Cal/UCLA loser for 3rd, then Stanford would end up 1-2 vs SC and Cal would be 1-2 or UCLA would be 0-2 vs SC. If UCLA gets 4th and Stanford 2nd, I think UCLA’s 2-0 head to head record vs Stanford gets UCLA in. Lots of potential variables.

5150wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Son has played since U10. Now plays in college.

Postby 5150wpdad » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:58 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
WPhan wrote:I already know how to post on internet sports boards including the premium (paid) ones like The Athletic. As a quick refresher, here are the Athletic guidelines:

You forgot to mention that if you are an insufferable homer, then you get dunked on by other commenters.

Someone is living in your head rent free.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:39 pm

WPhan wrote:I'd announce the result from Uytentsu with #1 UCLA versus #2 USC but everyone knows what it is. Let's say the rankings and MPSF seedings will be altered.

The seedings for the MPSF tournament are based on MPSF conference records. Cal is 2-0 in MPSF conference play; USC is 2-1; UCLA is 1-1; and Stanford is 0-3. If Cal beats UCLA on Saturday, they will be the No. 1 seed in the MPSF tournament, USC will be the No. 2 seed, UCLA will be the No. 3 seed, and Stanford will be the No. 4 seed. If UCLA beats Cal on Saturday, there will be a three-way tie for first place in the MPSF. If so, the tie will be broken by "goal difference in the official conference games between the tied teams." If goal differential doesn't break the tie, the tie will be broken by determining which team scored the most goals "in the official conference games between the tied teams." If there is still a tie, the MPSF rules specify further tie-breaking procedures. Regardless of which team wins the Cal/UCLA game, Stanford will be the No. 4 seed in the MPSF tournament.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:45 pm

jeff wrote:
WPhan wrote:I'd announce the result from Uytentsu with #1 UCLA versus #2 USC but everyone knows what it is. Let's say the rankings and MPSF seedings will be altered.

The seedings for the MPSF tournament are based on MPSF conference records. Cal is 2-0 in MPSF conference play; USC is 2-1; UCLA is 1-1; and Stanford is 0-3. If Cal beats UCLA on Saturday, they will be the No. 1 seed in the MPSF tournament, USC will be the No. 2 seed, UCLA will be the No. 3 seed, and Stanford will be the No. 4 seed. If UCLA beats Cal on Saturday, there will be a three-way tie for first place in the MPSF. If so, the tie will be broken by "goal difference in the official conference games between the tied teams." If goal differential doesn't break the tie, the tie will be broken by determining which team scored the most goals "in the official conference games between the tied teams." If there is still a tie, the MPSF rules specify further tie-breaking procedures. Regardless of which team wins the Cal/UCLA game, Stanford will be the No. 4 seed in the MPSF tournament.

Great info as always Jeff. So if I am reading this correctly….Cal wins and they are 1. UCLA wins by 2 goals, and they get the 1 seed, with USC getting 2 and Cal 3. TBD if UCLA wins by 1 based on the final goal count?

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 pm

Yes, that's how I read the MPSF rules. If the teams are still tied after considering goal differential and which team scored the most goals among the three tied teams, here is the next tie-breaker:

"Tiebreaker D: Three Teams Tied in Goals Scored. If the three teams remained tied after comparing most goals scored, then the tiebreaker in order (W-L record, goal difference, and most goals scored) of each team shall be compared with the highest available seeded conference team outside of these tied teams [Stanford] and working down through the already established order of ties until the tie is broken. For example, if there is an unbroken three-way tie for first, the comparison shall be made to the fourth seed, the tie will be broken by considering which team scored the most goals between the three tied teams."
Last edited by jeff on Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:15 pm

Are the rules the same in the GCC? If so the seeding is already locked in I think. Which would give a finals schedule of:

Friday, Nov. 19, 2021
Game 1 UCSB vs. UCI 5:00 PM
Game 2 SJSU vs Pepperdine 7:00 PM

Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021
Game 3 Semifinal #1: Winner of Game 1 vs. Pacific 5:00 PM
Game 4 Semifinal #2: Winner of Game 2 vs. Long beach 7:00 PM

Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021
Game 5 Championship: Winner of Semifinal #1 vs. Winner of Semifinal #2

If that is the case then the final may well be LBSU vs UCSB or Pacific.

LBSU must be the favourites but much will depend on if UCSB can put 4 quarters in a row together, as this season they have so often had a poor 1st or 4th quarter, resulting in a number of 1 goal losses. It will be interesting to see how they go this weekend against Pepperdine as last weekend they dispatched SJSU 13-4 without breaking sweat.

studenbodyleft
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby studenbodyleft » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:07 am

Hi, anyone know where the NCAAs will be held? I see that they're in Los Angeles... is it UCLA?

How do we go about getting tickets?

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”