2021 Season

Mens College Water Polo
Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2021 Season

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 pm

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:Sounds good but I'd imagine there isn't any chance of the NCAA increasing the number of scholarships and even less chance of them funding them.

Good idea though it is wouldn't that actually increase the number of overseas players?

Of course it will never happen, but the question was asked about basketball, so I answered it. If those basketball players had to pay for 75% of their education the entire system would collapse.

5150wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Son has played since U10. Now plays in college.

Postby 5150wpdad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 pm

H2Opolo10 wrote:
5150wpdad wrote:
polo12345 wrote:The topic of discussion was foreign athletes on rosters. The teams still playing and number of foreign athletes;
USC----- 7
UCLA----3
Cal------8
Davis------ 3
LBST----- 7
Princeton-----6
Fordham -----8
total= 42

Your numbers are off. Cal has the most impact players/starters.

USC has 6
CAL has 9
LB has 8

Did you count Cal’s back up goalie as an “impact player/starter?” Because they have 9 foreigners total, including him haha

Absolutely, he was part of CAL’s get 2 Spaniards for the price of one. You asked.

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 pm

5150wpdad wrote:
H2Opolo10 wrote:
5150wpdad wrote:
polo12345 wrote:The topic of discussion was foreign athletes on rosters. The teams still playing and number of foreign athletes;
USC----- 7
UCLA----3
Cal------8
Davis------ 3
LBST----- 7
Princeton-----6
Fordham -----8
total= 42

USC has 6
CAL has 9
LB has 8

Did you count Cal’s back up goalie as an “impact player/starter?” Because they have 9 foreigners total, including him haha

Absolutely, he was part of CAL’s get 2 Spaniards for the price of one. You asked.

Got it. Interesting criteria.

Sounds like a great deal. Good for Cal and the Spaniards.

butterybarin10
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby butterybarin10 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:57 pm

5150wpdad wrote:
H2Opolo10 wrote:
5150wpdad wrote:
USC----- 7
UCLA----3
Cal------8
Davis------ 3
LBST----- 7
Princeton-----6
Fordham -----8
total= 42

USC has 6
CAL has 9
LB has 8

That CAL Spaniard goalie was a transfer from West Valley College. Started 2 years there taking the spot away from a really solid American goalie that could have used the exposure...

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:44 am

butterybarin10 wrote:That CAL Spaniard goalie was a transfer from West Valley College. Started 2 years there taking the spot away from a really solid American goalie that could have used the exposure...

Just like an American goalie could have come in and taken his spot away. I’m gonna assume everything the WV coach and Everist did to recruit the Casabella’s was legal. This two for one business sounds pretty shady. But assuming no one’s getting bribed or blackmailed, let’s consider that only one goalie plays at a time and most teams have multiple goalies on their roster, so there’s always someone who’s “taking the spot away” from someone else. That’s how sports work. No one is entitled to playing time. As has been noted, Stanford has a team of only Americans. So if an American kid doesn’t want competition from Euros, they can bust their ass in school and the pool and go play there if they earn it. Who wouldn’t want that? Though the incumbent goalie at Stanford will have a lot of pressure on him for the next several years with Harrison and Price coming in hot. Shame that two of them will have their spots taken, as they’re all great players and it would be fun to watch them all play all game, every game. If that’s too lofty then go to a school where you have a better chance to start. And even then, nothing’s guaranteed. The world’s not gonna be handed to you on a silver platter. Despite possibly coming off as harsh, I do hope that WV goalie is succeeding in whatever he’s doing. Bottom line for any athlete: go out and earn everything you can. And if you don’t get everything exactly as you wanted or hoped for, well, life’s full of tough lessons.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:02 am

H2Opolo10 wrote:
butterybarin10 wrote:That CAL Spaniard goalie was a transfer from West Valley College. Started 2 years there taking the spot away from a really solid American goalie that could have used the exposure...

Just like an American goalie could have come in and taken his spot away. I’m gonna assume everything the WV coach and Everist did to recruit the Casabella’s was legal. This two for one business sounds pretty shady. But assuming no one’s getting bribed or blackmailed, let’s consider that only one goalie plays at a time and most teams have multiple goalies on their roster, so there’s always someone who’s “taking the spot away” from someone else. That’s how sports work. No one is entitled to playing time. As has been noted, Stanford has a team of only Americans. So if an American kid doesn’t want competition from Euros, they can bust their ass in school and the pool and go play there if they earn it. Who wouldn’t want that? Though the incumbent goalie at Stanford will have a lot of pressure on him for the next several years with Harrison and Price coming in hot. Shame that two of them will have their spots taken, as they’re all great players and it would be fun to watch them all play all game, every game. If that’s too lofty then go to a school where you have a better chance to start. And even then, nothing’s guaranteed. The world’s not gonna be handed to you on a silver platter. Despite possibly coming off as harsh, I do hope that WV goalie is succeeding in whatever he’s doing. Bottom line for any athlete: go out and earn everything you can. And if you don’t get everything exactly as you wanted or hoped for, well, life’s full of tough lessons.

Well said

ruin4life
How are you connected to water polo?: water polo parent and fan of the sport

Postby ruin4life » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:29 am

H2Opolo10 wrote:

Price will start next year. He is too good to sit.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Nohorsepolo wrote:I don’t think the Princeton club team is going to get past Fordham. They have Greek Papa. Italians, Spaniards, euros then some Americans to back them up. It should be a good game.

17-8 final...Princeton over Fordham. It really wasn't that close.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 am

I'm surprised how little chatter there is about the upcoming championship...but then again, I'm not....how boring it must be because it's no surprise what the outcome will be amongst the top three. It must me nap time.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:35 pm

Nohorsepolo wrote:I don’t think the Princeton club team is going to get past Fordham. They have Greek Papa. Italians, Spaniards, euros then some Americans to back them up. It should be a good game.

Instead of playing games there should be a very straightforward counting system to determine the competition outcomes. Every Serbian on the roster brings 6 points. Every Greek brings 5 points except if his names starts with Papa (then he brings six points as well). Every Hungarian brings 4 points, every Catalonian 3 points, every Croatian 2 points, every Californian, Italian, Australian, Montenegrin brings 1 point, every US national from outside of California brings 1/2 points. Everybody else does not count. Every four years we change the counting system based on the most recent Olympics result. Sounds fair :)

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:42 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:

17-8 final...Princeton over Fordham. It really wasn't that close.

It was a little close until the shitty refs rolled the Fordham Italian. Why can’t a shitty ref take a little criticism from someone playing the game. When he’s wrong? It turns out the refs decided the outcome if not swayed the outcome from a little banter in the heat of battle. Can’t wait and see how Joe and Daniel screw up the playoff games with their lazy reffing and I am running the game attitude.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Nohorsepolo wrote:
It was a little close until the shitty refs rolled the Fordham Italian. Why can’t a shitty ref take a little criticism from someone playing the game. When he’s wrong? It turns out the refs decided the outcome if not swayed the outcome from a little banter in the heat of battle.

There is this thing called rules... But if a freshman wants to open his mouth why anybody should stop him, right?

Or maybe the whole mess was a much wider conspiracy when "filthy" refs worked together with coaches to put Fordham very low in rankings (#18?). One never knows ...

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:10 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Correct, we definitely do not want to lose any men's or women's WP programs, however if you limit roster size to say something like 25 for example, then a team like UCSB who currently has 40, would need to purge out 15 players, which would then move and take up other spots on weaker teams.

Move where? UCSB is a relatively inexpensive school. They can't move to one of the expensive schools like Redlands, Claremont, etc.

And you can't just create more programs unless you are willing to fund it and fund an additional woman's program to balance it. There is no excuse for Cal State Fullerton, San Diego State and Fresno State to not have Men's Water Polo as each is in a great water polo area, but with the realities of Title IX, Fresno couldn't even hang on to wrestling in the best wrestling section in the state.

And are those extra 15 players going to make an impact someplace? I say let kids walk-on where they want. Most of the "extra players" are choosing the school first, but want to stay with a sport they love. Why get in the middle of that?

Justafan22 wrote:That would definitely improve parity, but overall, would it reduce the amount of kids 'playing' water polo in college and take away those opportunities.

It would not improve parity, it would just deny kids the chance to be a part of a program.

Justafan22 wrote:I know this probably has something to do with scholarships, but I picked 10 college basketball programs at random, (UCLA, USC, Villanova, CBU, ect ect) Basically different size schools. And all of them has basketball rosters of on average 16/17 players. I think Arizona State had 21 and was the most I found. So how do they do it. Is it because so many colleges offer basketball programs, that they had to put limits on roster size ?

College basketball, with 5 players on the court at one time, get 13 full scholarships. Water polo with 7 players gets 4.5. A college basketball coach has the luxury of getting 13 quality players. He doesn't need more than 16 or 17. With only 4.5 full rides to give, a college water polo coach is happy to have more players to choose from to create a roster.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 pm

GoBears! wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:And are those extra 15 players going to make an impact someplace? I say let kids walk-on where they want. Most of the "extra players" are choosing the school first, but want to stay with a sport they love. Why get in the middle of that?

In this scenario the 15 players UCSB would drop would either stop playing to stay at UCSB or make zero real impact elsewhere.

Most US players who want to make a career out of water polo will play for the top 4, so teams not in the top 4 with large rosters aren't the problem. I doubt that there is a homegrown player currently playing for other than Cal, UCLA, USC or Stanford who will ever play for the senior national team or play professionally overseas and those are the players who would improve other teams.

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:19 pm

wpolo93 wrote:
Nohorsepolo wrote:
It was a little close until the shitty refs rolled the Fordham Italian. Why can’t a shitty ref take a little criticism from someone playing the game. When he’s wrong? It turns out the refs decided the outcome if not swayed the outcome from a little banter in the heat of battle.

There is this thing called rules... But if a freshman wants to open his mouth why anybody should stop him, right?

Or maybe the whole mess was a much wider conspiracy when "filthy" refs worked together with coaches to put Fordham very low in rankings (#18?). One never knows ...

Suck it up ref. These boys have played all year for this opportunity. You as a ref want to squeeze him out because you don’t like what he said to hurt your feelings. Give me a break. The refs an idiot and should be banned for his actions. Let the kids play and understand what they have been working towards. Too many refs think the game is about them it’s the biggest problem in water polo. Refs that hold up the game because they want to talk to someone in the stands. Refs that don’t travel the whole court but call goals they can’t really see. A lot like a government job with no supervision do whatever you want no one cares!!!

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”