2021 Season

Mens College Water Polo
Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2021 Season

Postby Rational » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 pm

Justafan22 wrote:If you offer an incoming Freshmen a full scholarship, you would then be expected to offer it every year correct?

Sort of, the NCAA a few years ago made a change where you can only recruit/have contact with 11th and 12th graders... gone are the days of the 8th grade lacrosse prodigy signing with Duke. I think at the same time, the NCAA also made the change that coaches can offer multi-year scholarships, which they were effectively doing all along. While its now an option, it was/is rare for a kid to have their money reduced unless it was discussed upfront. Coaches don't want a bait-and-switch reputation and kids can't lose it for lack of production. Most scholarships are year-to-year but there is an understanding that it'll continue for the 4 (or 5) years you're on the team. If a coach cuts a kid's money down, or cuts a scholarshipped player from the team, the player can appeal to the school and cite a litany of reasons and likely win.

Justafan22 wrote:or is that 450% get refreshed/replenished, for every incoming class. In other words can you have 6 seniors, 6 juniors, 6 sophomores and 6 freshman on full rides at the same time?

No, you have 450% at any one time, so approx. one psuedo full ride per class. Covid and the associated extra year of eligibility threw a wrench in this and created a temporary blip that's too long to go into.

It's important to note that there are 2 kinds of scholarships, head count sports and everything else. The head count sports are Women's Volleyball, both basketballs, and Football (maybe more). These scholarships are a 'yes' or 'no', either you're on or you're not... if you're on a scholarship, you get 100% cost of attendance, there is no splitting up the scholarships to make them go farther. So a head count scholarship player at Cal has their tuition fees and books paid for, AND gets a check for $2500/month living expenses for 10 months a year (approximately from numbers prior).

ephpolo wrote:They may get support from "private organizations"

This is where we enter the muddy water, I suspect Jovan had control or at least a controlling say in some of these outside private organizations, effectively giving him more than his 450% worth of scholarships. Private schools have more leeway than public schools in opening the doors and offering discounts to foreign students... it just gets muddy when the school has a scholarship dedicated for "First generation students from former Yugoslavia" and it just so happens that every one of the last 10 recipients of that scholarship all played water polo. At what point do you say that the coach has more scholarships at his disposal than the 450% limit.

To further complicate this mess, every school is their own island of NCAA compliance and enforcement. Every school is independently calling balls and strikes on what is too far. Hence, the charge against USC for "Loss of institutional control"

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:59 pm

Rational wrote:It's important to note that there are 2 kinds of scholarships, head count sports and everything else. The head count sports are Women's Volleyball, both basketballs, and Football (maybe more). These scholarships are a 'yes' or 'no', either you're on or you're not... if you're on a scholarship, you get 100% cost of attendance, there is no splitting up the scholarships to make them go farther. So a head count scholarship player at Cal has their tuition fees and books paid for, AND gets a check for $2500/month living expenses for 10 months a year (approximately from numbers prior).

Women’s tennis and women’s gymnastics are head count sports also.

All others are equivalency sports.

ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Postby ole'gauchos » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:17 pm

Here is the link (if it works)).. to Triton Invite game schedule for this weekends Tournament at UCSD.. going to be some good ones! :D https://ucsdtritons.com/sports/2021/8/1 ... ional.aspx

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:20 pm

Rational wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:If you offer an incoming Freshmen a full scholarship, you would then be expected to offer it every year correct?

Sort of, the NCAA a few years ago made a change where you can only recruit/have contact with 11th and 12th graders... gone are the days of the 8th grade lacrosse prodigy signing with Duke. I think at the same time, the NCAA also made the change that coaches can offer multi-year scholarships, which they were effectively doing all along. While its now an option, it was/is rare for a kid to have their money reduced unless it was discussed upfront. Coaches don't want a bait-and-switch reputation and kids can't lose it for lack of production. Most scholarships are year-to-year but there is an understanding that it'll continue for the 4 (or 5) years you're on the team. If a coach cuts a kid's money down, or cuts a scholarshipped player from the team, the player can appeal to the school and cite a litany of reasons and likely win.

Justafan22 wrote:or is that 450% get refreshed/replenished, for every incoming class. In other words can you have 6 seniors, 6 juniors, 6 sophomores and 6 freshman on full rides at the same time?

No, you have 450% at any one time, so approx. one psuedo full ride per class. Covid and the associated extra year of eligibility threw a wrench in this and created a temporary blip that's too long to go into.

It's important to note that there are 2 kinds of scholarships, head count sports and everything else. The head count sports are Women's Volleyball, both basketballs, and Football (maybe more). These scholarships are a 'yes' or 'no', either you're on or you're not... if you're on a scholarship, you get 100% cost of attendance, there is no splitting up the scholarships to make them go farther. So a head count scholarship player at Cal has their tuition fees and books paid for, AND gets a check for $2500/month living expenses for 10 months a year (approximately from numbers prior).

ephpolo wrote:They may get support from "private organizations"

This is where we enter the muddy water, I suspect Jovan had control or at least a controlling say in some of these outside private organizations, effectively giving him more than his 450% worth of scholarships. Private schools have more leeway than public schools in opening the doors and offering discounts to foreign students... it just gets muddy when the school has a scholarship dedicated for "First generation students from former Yugoslavia" and it just so happens that every one of the last 10 recipients of that scholarship all played water polo. At what point do you say that the coach has more scholarships at his disposal than the 450% limit.

To further complicate this mess, every school is their own island of NCAA compliance and enforcement. Every school is independently calling balls and strikes on what is too far. Hence, the charge against USC for "Loss of institutional control"

So lets say I am a super rich guy, and want to give back to the college that I am an alumni of. I offer a scholarship of let's say $10,000 per year to be picked by a certain professor and the qualifications that I put were;
High School GPA of 3.5 or above
Student of financial need
Must study Chemical Engineering, because I did
Must play waterpolo because I also played at this school

Does that fly OK with NCAA and admissions?

Saveharts

Postby Saveharts » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:33 pm

ole'gauchos wrote:Here is the link (if it works)).. to Triton Invite game schedule for this weekends Tournament at UCSD.. going to be some good ones! :D https://ucsdtritons.com/sports/2021/8/1 ... ional.aspx

UCSB roster? Curious why it’s not posted on UCSB men’s water polo page.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Saveharts wrote:
ole'gauchos wrote:Here is the link (if it works)).. to Triton Invite game schedule for this weekends Tournament at UCSD.. going to be some good ones! :D https://ucsdtritons.com/sports/2021/8/1 ... ional.aspx

It looks updated to me but they didn’t change the year. Don’t expect much from UCSB on their website quality control.

ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Postby ole'gauchos » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Saveharts wrote:

It looks updated to me but they didn’t change the year. Don’t expect much from UCSB on their website quality control.

Rb is right, been staring at the same pics for what feels like 2 yrs lol.. I imagine someone will update before sat. (maybe)

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:09 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Saveharts wrote:

There are at least 2 players on there that I think have graduated so I don't think it has been updated.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:12 pm

If that is accurate it looks like only the UCSD games are being streamed.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:45 pm

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Saveharts wrote:

There are at least 2 players on there that I think have graduated so I don't think it has been updated.

Who? There are incoming freshman on there so it is at least partially updated.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Saveharts wrote:

Who? There are incoming freshman on there so it is at least partially updated.

I think that there are 3 players listed as either seniors or RS Juniors and I suspect that means some or all of them have graduated. That published roster seems like a mix of what would have been last year's roster with added Freshman for this year. Sawyer Rhodes also isn't listed yet and everyone seems to be hearing the same thing about him joining UCSB. I guess this week's Triton invitational may help to confirm their roster.

Rational

Postby Rational » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Justafan22 wrote:So lets say I am a super rich guy, and want to give back to the college that I am an alumni of. I offer a scholarship of let's say $10,000 per year to be picked by a certain professor and the qualifications that I put were;
High School GPA of 3.5 or above
Student of financial need
Must study Chemical Engineering, because I did
Must play waterpolo because I also played at this school

Does that fly OK with NCAA and admissions?

My understanding is that this would count as athletic based aid, and go against the 450%....essentially, you would be endowing a partial scholarship for the Athletics dept.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:39 pm

Sadly, and to the disappointment of fans of UCSB water polo, the school hasn't maintained its water polo website for some time. The schedule posted on the website is the schedule from the 2019 season. The players shown with pictures on the website are the players who would have played during the 2020 season. The players listed with no pictures were freshmen last year. The Class of 2021 recruits (for example, Will Clark from Miramonte and Brock Zamanian from Campolindo) aren't listed at all. The information shown for the players is also outdated. For example, if you read the information about Danny Roland, you wouldn't know he played for UCSB in 2019.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:48 pm

jeff wrote:Sadly, and to the disappointment of fans of UCSB water polo, the school hasn't maintained its water polo website for some time. The schedule posted on the website is the schedule from the 2019 season. The players shown with pictures on the website are the players who would have played during the 2020 season. The players listed with no pictures were freshmen last year. The Class of 2021 recruits (for example, Will Clark from Miramonte and Brock Zamanian from Campolindo) aren't listed at all. The information shown for the players is also outdated. For example, if you read the information about Danny Roland, you wouldn't know he played for UCSB in 2019.

UCSB's website is always a disaster. Hopefully it will get a much needed update soon.

stickman

Postby stickman » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:58 am

The Sports Information position at UCSB has been open for a while if you’re interested…

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=e4a ... &from=serp

Associate Athletic Director - Communications & Content
UCSB Athletics
Santa Barbara, CA
Job details

Job Type
Full-time
Full Job Description

Serve as communications contact for Intercollegiate Athletics and responsible for creating and implementing the overall digital communications strategies and initiatives for UCSB Athletics. Will work directly with all sports in the creation and implementation of a social media strategy and content production and will serve as communications / media relations contact for assigned sport(s) to include creation of communications plan, responding to media requests, media pitches, development of game notes and related content. Serve as a member of the marketing and communications team working to advance our brand and strategically communicate the stories of our student-athletes and teams.
Provide high-level management to assigned areas of responsibility and take initiative to lead research and develop projects and concepts that are designed to advance intercollegiate athletics programming and services.

All duties are to be performed in strict compliance with the rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big West Conference and the University.

Bachelor's degree in Communications from an accredited four-year institution, or a combination of education and experience.
Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a public/media relations capacity including serving as a media point of contact.
Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written and electronic forms.
Thorough knowledge of NCAA Constitution and Bylaws.
Understanding of the role of intercollegiate athletics within the overall academic mission of the University.
Minimum of two years of experience working with and creating digital content
Working knowledge of social media platforms, including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

NOTES:

Additional Salary Information: Dependent on experience and qualifications
Internal Number: 22366

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”