Vargas Announces Retirement

Mens College Water Polo
2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: Vargas Announces Retirement

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:24 am

HawkinsPolo4 wrote:
jeff wrote:
Rational wrote:What else can be said - they posted the announcement, a bunch of potential names came out. Then Stanford said they wanted 5 years collegiate coaching experience so that took out Flacks and Ormsby. People on WPP seem to have it narrowed down to:
Litvak - Princeton
Leyson - UC Davis
Graham - UOP
Arroyo - Long Beach
Krikorian - I don't think that has a chance, I bet he stays with the National team until 2028 for the Olympics at home.

I wonder if some coach doing double duty like Klatt or Wright would put in for this - more money, only one program, enough pool space at Avery to meet everyone's needs, not arguing with facilities over investing in seating or a media board for the pool, etc.

The homebuying assistance / Faculty housing really opens up the talent pool - I'm glad Stanford has that.

Don't forget Brian Kreutzkamp, Tony Azevedo, Ted Minnis, and Wolf Wigo.

What about Rodriguez? The Claremont Colleges (especially Pomona) are selective like Stanford. Not to mention if the job posting says 5 years collegiate experience, he's been in the college game for almost 2 decades. At this point, he's made PP Division III in name only, just look at the men's non-conference schedule from 2021. Not to mention winning D3 Nationals and having National Team experience doesn't hurt either.

Please no. He's a good coach but A-Rod is just another Dejan...which equates to nothingness.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:37 am

Sctrojanje wrote:
Princeton is a safety school for Stanford students...don't compare

Really ? : )

Whatever...

But on a second thought, sure. California is the center of the universe, right? : )

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:46 am

wpolo93 wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:

Whatever...

But on a second thought, sure. California is the center of the universe, right? : )

To some (as evidenced above)...Stanford "IS" the center of the college universe.

Thankfully, (in reality) it's just another "hard" school to get into. Heck, it's hard to get into USC nowadays...go figure!

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:20 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
wpolo93 wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:

Whatever...

To some (as evidenced above)...Stanford "IS" the center of the college universe.

Thankfully, (in reality) it's just another "hard" school to get into. Heck, it's hard to get into USC nowadays...go figure!

Not hard to get in if you are an athlete.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:28 am

Justafan22 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
wpolo93 wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:

Whatever...

I would argue it's' harder to get into Princeton than it is Stanford (if you're an athlete)...I speak from experience. Stanford loves athletes more than Princeton does.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:20 pm

Per Maggie Steffens:

While applying to Stanford, I wanted to make it as hard as possible for them to NOT accept me - Stanford has extremely high standards, even for athletes. Most other schools did not require me to even apply due to water polo.

Basically, I would just have to sign a piece of paper and that was it - I would be in. Stanford was the opposite. I had to take the SAT three times in order to have a good enough score. I had take AP classes while training for the Olympics. I had to apply early and make sure it was as perfect as could be so they couldn’t turn me down. I didn’t have the highest SAT score, but I had a lot of drive and persistence to offer the school.

I personally enjoyed the challenge that the Stanford acceptance process presented me with. It made me feel like all my hard work and all the extra classes were all worth it - I was on the right path. This was when I truly realized Stanford wasn’t just trying to recruit the best athletes, they wanted the best scholar-athletes - people that strived to be the best in everything they did.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:21 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
wpolo93 wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:

Whatever...

I would argue it's' harder to get into Princeton than it is Stanford (if you're an athlete)...I speak from experience. Stanford loves athletes more than Princeton does.

Well, I meant USC

stickman

Postby stickman » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:54 pm

Nice post about Maggie.

So basically, per her experience…you don’t have to have an excellent SAT score to get admitted to Stanford, if your an athlete.

That’s definitely not the case at Princeton, no matter how much effort you put into your application.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:08 pm

stickman wrote:Nice post about Maggie.

So basically, per her experience…you don’t have to have an excellent SAT score to get admitted to Stanford, if your an athlete.

That’s definitely not the case at Princeton, no matter how much effort you put into your application.

I think that it really depends on the circumstances. There are lots of variables. I am familiar with a few Princeton athletes who had less than stellar test scores and were able to get in without much drama.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:17 pm

stickman wrote:Nice post about Maggie.

Question about Princeton. Really just a question not criticizing.
If you get accepted at Princeton because of excellent grades. I have read on WPP somewhere. ( I think) that the coaches will pretty much take any walk on as part of the team. You may not play much, but you will be part of Princeton WP.
Is that both on mens and womens?

I assume you need to
At least be a decent player ?

stickman

Postby stickman » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:53 am

I’d imagine thats the case at every non-scholarship school. Isn’t that essentially what every non-scholarship athlete is, a walk-on.
Some are recruited to walk-on, some come out of the woodwork.

I know the Ivy coaches can ‘tag’ recruits to assist their application. And sometimes that helps, but none are getting athletic scholarships.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:59 am

stickman wrote:I’d imagine thats the case at every non-scholarship school. Isn’t that essentially what every non-scholarship athlete is, a walk-on.

I know the Ivy coaches can ‘tag’ recruits to assist their application. And sometimes that helps, but none are getting athletic scholarships.

Yep...No athletic scholarships awarded at Princeton.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:43 am

stickman wrote:I’d imagine thats the case at every non-scholarship school. Isn’t that essentially what every non-scholarship athlete is, a walk-on.

Yes, there are no athletic scholarships at all any of the Ivy League schools, but they do have some of the best need-based programs out there.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:41 am

Back on topic, has anyone heard if they have started interviews?

Seems to me that they would want this settled fairly quickly — I’m sure they figured out the actual candidates as fast as those on this board.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:24 am

retiredguy wrote:Back on topic, has anyone heard if they have started interviews?

Seems to me that they would want this settled fairly quickly — I’m sure they figured out the actual candidates as fast as those on this board.

Multiple sources report that the process is well underway. In no particular order, I predict the person selected will come from this group: Brian Kreutzkamp, Tony Azevedo, Brain Flacks, and Dan Leyson. If no consensus is reached on one of these candidates, Ted Minnis could be a compromise candidate. The person selected to be the head coach of Stanford's men's water polo program will also be the Executive Director of the Stanford Water Polo Club, which has underachieved in recent years (particularly on the girls' side). I don't how and to what extent the club duties will be considered in the hiring process.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”