Referees and Spectator Behavior

Mens College Water Polo
ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Referees and Spectator Behavior

Postby ephpolo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:27 pm

A few weeks back, there was considerable discussion about fan (or red shirt player) behavior at a game. Guidance below was posted to Arbiter ( an NCAA sports officiating website) today. I don't think the link will work for non-Arbiter-members, so here's the take from Dave Alberstein (Rules Secretary for the NCAA) and Amber Drury (NCAA Supervisor of Officials).

Spectator Control
There have been a couple instances this season, and in other sports, that have warranted
referee intervention. With that in mind, please take the time to read this through so you are
prepared and comfortable with the rules and tools available in such situations.
Possible scenarios that require referee intervention for spectator control include:
• Profanity or abusive language
• Excessive taunting of persons involved in the game including coaches, players & referees
• Altercation in the stands
• Throwing of objects onto the deck or into the pool
• Encroachment by fans into referee workspace
Fan or spectator involvement in a game can be a fun and collegial part of the game when
boundaries are set and maintained. The key is being able to discern what is acceptable fan
behavior and what behaviors cross over into excessive or abusive acts which deserve and
require removal from the venue.
I strongly encourage you to use event management personnel or security when dealing with
any spectator issues. Rarely does referee intervention sufficiently control the situation.
Applicable Rules to Assist the Referees:
Rule 3, Section 6. Referees—Control Over Conduct
Art. 1. It is recommended the host institution assign a representative to handle game
management issues, as requested by a referee.
Rule 3, Section 7. Removal from Pool
The referees shall have the power to order the removal from the precincts of the pool any
player, substitute, spectator, coach or other team official whose behavior prevents the referees
from carrying out their duties in a proper and impartial manner. The referee will also award a
red card to that individual (with the exception of a disruptive spectator).
Rule 3, Section 8. Abandonment of Game
The referees shall have the power to abandon the game at any time if, in their opinion, the
behavior of the players or spectators or other circumstances prevent it from being brought to a
proper conclusion.
Tools
The stoppage of game until the issue is addressed by event personnel is the best tool. In the
absence of a designated school event management representative, the coaching staff will be
requested to take on this role. The game should not be resumed until the issue is satisfactorily
addressed.
§ Request the public address announcer remind the spectators of
sportsmanship and their possible removal for lack of adherence to the
conference or NCAA policy
§ Removal of individual spectator
• If you know exactly who it is, have the event staff remove them from
the venue.
§ Removal of a section of spectators
• If you are unsure as to the individual, or if there are multiple
individuals involved, ask for the section to be removed (often peer
pressure will assist you in removing only the individuals involved).
§ Removal of all spectators
• Spectators are not a required element in the game.
o As a last resort, request the removal all spectators so the
game can be finished.
*If you encounter such a situation, please email a summary of the events to the Supervisor of
Officials for the host school. It is important that they are aware of what took place and how it
was handled.
Again, please utilize event management personnel to deal with spectator issues. If they are not
successful in quelling the situation, involve the coaching staff. Be confident in your rules
knowledge and what avenues are available to you to remedy any situation.
Dave Alberstein – NCAA Secretary Rules Editor for Water Polo
Amber Drury – NCAA National Coordinator of Water Polo Officials

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Re: Referees and Spectator Behavior

Postby sbdad » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:49 pm

At UCSB VS CAL on Sunday the ref kicked out a section of the bleachers, mostly the redshirt kids and non playing team members. In reading the above he was reacting to them taunting one or two players constantly and using foul language. Hope they get the rules from the coach, it was nothing abnormal (until now) so I think they were shocked that they got the boot. They will have to find a way to be as effective (debatable) but not cross the line and get kicked out. Will be nice to be able to bring the family to a game or two now.

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Postby sbdad » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:54 pm

I must add that one Cal fan should have been removed as well, he stood up while the kids were being told to leave, took a sign from one of the kids and tore it in half right in front of the security guard and the UCSB fans. The sign had no foul language on it.

ephpolo

Postby ephpolo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:58 pm

Well, working from the (perhaps outdated) assumption that college coaches are supposed to teach sportsmanship and character along with winning games and championships, it's a sad statement if those red-shirt players are not already getting the message from their coach that being a dickhead in the stands is unacceptable behavior. I don't hold the coach accountable for behavior of random fans, but the behavior of red shirt players reflects on the program.

And the profanity is the least of the problems with the behavior you are describing.

LonnyJ
How are you connected to water polo?: Old time player, fan, parent.

Postby LonnyJ » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:09 pm

This guidance is probably overdue. The redshirts sitting in the stands shooting off their mouths seems to be a weird recent phenomenon. They’re probably better served if the coaches make them sit near the benches where they can schlep water bottles and dirty towels for the kids actually getting minutes. For some of them that might be the top of their bounce for their college water polo careers.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:16 pm

LonnyJ wrote:This guidance is probably overdue. The redshirts sitting in the stands shooting off their mouths seems to be a weird recent phenomenon. They’re probably better served if the coaches make them sit near the benches where they can schlep water bottles and dirty towels for the kids actually getting minutes. For some of them that might be the top of their bounce for their college water polo careers.

It is not a new phenomenon. It’s been a problem since the beginning of sport. 18-23 year old males are jerks when you put them together at a sporting event. It’s not all redshirts either. Some of the worst offenders are the players who quit the team.

LonnyJ

Postby LonnyJ » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:05 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
LonnyJ wrote:This guidance is probably overdue. The redshirts sitting in the stands shooting off their mouths seems to be a weird recent phenomenon. They’re probably better served if the coaches make them sit near the benches where they can schlep water bottles and dirty towels for the kids actually getting minutes. For some of them that might be the top of their bounce for their college water polo careers.

It is not a new phenomenon. It’s been a problem since the beginning of sport. 18-23 year old males are jerks when you put them together at a sporting event. It’s not all redshirts either. Some of the worst offenders are the players who quit the team.

You sound as though you speak from a unique position of expertise.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:51 pm

LonnyJ wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:

I’ve witnessed plenty in my life. Been that jerk and have witnessed many a jerk. Particularly at UCLA and USC’s pools, but it’s not just a water polo problem. Boys are dopes at that age

LonnyJ

Postby LonnyJ » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:23 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
LonnyJ wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:

I’ve witnessed plenty in my life. Been that jerk and have witnessed many a jerk. Particularly at UCLA and USC’s pools, but it’s not just a water polo problem. Boys are dopes at that age

Rb, I'm not challenging the notion that college-aged spectators are capable of acting like total punks at sporting events, or that you were probably an excitable d-bag of a fan in the stands at that age. What I am highlighting is that redshirt players are part of the team, and that TEAM members are not prone to hurl loud personal insults and profanity at opposing players and coaches throughout the game. Especially during timeouts, changes in quarters, and halftime when the pool deck is basically quiet ... and EVERYONE can hear the stupid comments. This is something you simply don't see often in any sport, even in the most heated rivalries. I was embarrassed as a UCLA fan when I witnessed it. It was as annoying as watching a couple of those little yappy miniature poodles bark'squeek the entire game. And I'm not picking on these kids because they were short in stature and looked like they'd get demolished in the pool ... I'm picking on them because they were short on sportsmanship and respect for the game.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:40 pm

LonnyJ wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
LonnyJ wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:

Rb, I'm not challenging the notion that college-aged spectators are capable of acting like total punks at sporting events, or that you were probably an excitable d-bag of a fan in the stands at that age. What I am highlighting is that redshirt players are part of the team, and that TEAM members are not prone to hurl loud personal insults and profanity at opposing players and coaches throughout the game. Especially during timeouts, changes in quarters, and halftime when the pool deck is basically quiet ... and EVERYONE can hear the stupid comments. This is something you simply don't see often in any sport, even in the most heated rivalries. I was embarrassed as a UCLA fan when I witnessed it. It was as annoying as watching a couple of those little yappy miniature poodles bark'squeek the entire game. And I'm not picking on these kids because they were short in stature and looked like they'd get demolished in the pool ... I'm picking on them because they were short on sportsmanship and respect for the game.

Like I said, I’ve seen it for years from the redshirts and castoffs. The only way it will stop is if enough people complain to the athletic directors and that may not even do it.

ephpolo

Postby ephpolo » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:10 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Like I said, I’ve seen it for years from the redshirts and castoffs. The only way it will stop is if enough people complain to the athletic directors and that may not even do it.

Here's hoping some of the folks who witness these shenanigans will contact the coaches and AD's. A bit of cell phone video with sound wouldn't hurt.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”