2021 CIFSS All CIF

Boys High School Competition
sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

2021 CIFSS All CIF

Postby sbdad » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:40 pm

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Re: 2021 CIFSS All CIF

Postby jeff » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 pm

Some notable omissions from this list, including Nathan Tauscher, MD (goalie, 2023), Ryder Dodd, HB (attacker, 2024), and Will Schneider, JSerra (center, 2024).

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:54 am

jeff wrote:Some notable omissions from this list, including Nathan Tauscher, MD (goalie, 2023), Ryder Dodd, HB (attacker, 2024), and Will Schneider, JSerra (center, 2024).

Yea, can't stand these lists. Tausher, Dodd and Scheider, all amazing players. But we all know here on WWP, that only those who "score the most goals"...inevitably get the most accolades.

LandLubber
How are you connected to water polo?: New fan.

Postby LandLubber » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:06 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
jeff wrote:Some notable omissions from this list, including Nathan Tauscher, MD (goalie, 2023), Ryder Dodd, HB (attacker, 2024), and Will Schneider, JSerra (center, 2024).

Yea, can't stand these lists. Tausher, Dodd and Scheider, all amazing players. But we all know here on WWP, that only those who "score the most goals"...inevitably get the most accolades.

Agreed. Also missing are Jack Matos (2022) Foothill and Spencer Averitt (2023). It’s my understanding that teams are given a number of spots on the lists based on how they finished and some coaches list kids based on seniority and some choose not to list kids at all if they don’t have sufficient spots so it’s hard to tell the true story with these lists. Fortunately, colleges seem to know this so these lists are more for the parents anyway.

Are there lists for 2nd teams, 3rd teams, etc?

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:56 am

LandLubber wrote:Are there lists for 2nd teams, 3rd teams, etc?

Yes, but I do not think that they are released by CIF. Coaches should have access to them though.

McKlintock
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby McKlintock » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:39 pm

LandLubber wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

Agreed. Also missing are Jack Matos (2022) Foothill and Spencer Averitt (2023). It’s my understanding that teams are given a number of spots on the lists based on how they finished and some coaches list kids based on seniority and some choose not to list kids at all if they don’t have sufficient spots so it’s hard to tell the true story with these lists. Fortunately, colleges seem to know this so these lists are more for the parents anyway.

This is all based upon the coaches choice for the number of spots that coach was allocated based upon team placement. For instance, it is safe to assume that the SM coach choose their goalie over your favorite player. Or that the Foothill coach picked his other player instead of Matos. As such, there are often choices that are head scratchers for those on the outside (I would have made a few different picks for sure), but I am sure the coach has his own criteria.

LandLubber
How are you connected to water polo?: New fan.

Postby LandLubber » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:32 pm

McKlintock wrote:
LandLubber wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

This is all based upon the coaches choice for the number of spots that coach was allocated based upon team placement. For instance, it is safe to assume that the SM coach choose their goalie over your favorite player. Or that the Foothill coach picked his other player instead of Matos. As such, there are often choices that are head scratchers for those on the outside (I would have made a few different picks for sure), but I am sure the coach has his own criteria.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Yes, I do think Spencer Averitt is a great young player. I also like the play of Will Schneider and Ryder Dodd equally - I just have not had as many chances to see them play given where my granddaughter went to high school.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 pm

McKlintock wrote:This is all based upon the coaches choice for the number of spots that coach was allocated based upon team placement. For instance, it is safe to assume that the SM coach choose their goalie over your favorite player. Or that the Foothill coach picked his other player instead of Matos. As such, there are often choices that are head scratchers for those on the outside (I would have made a few different picks for sure), but I am sure the coach has his own criteria.

I always understood that the All-CIF awards were voted on by all of the coaches that made the playoffs and not just the picks of each teams' coaches. Also, any team can nominate players, but just playoff teams can vote.

Also, do all the Open Division teams get a predetermined allocation? If so, shouldn't JSerra have had a player on the team?

Ewater
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, fan, played in high school and college, parent

Postby Ewater » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:46 am

I was told first hand that Ormsby didn’t show up for the All-CIF call, nor the All Trinity league call. I don’t know what they did about league, but that has to be why his player(s) aren’t represented here.

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:15 am

SwimCoach wrote:
McKlintock wrote:This is all based upon the coaches choice for the number of spots that coach was allocated based upon team placement. For instance, it is safe to assume that the SM coach choose their goalie over your favorite player. Or that the Foothill coach picked his other player instead of Matos. As such, there are often choices that are head scratchers for those on the outside (I would have made a few different picks for sure), but I am sure the coach has his own criteria.

I always understood that the All-CIF awards were voted on by all of the coaches that made the playoffs and not just the picks of each teams' coaches. Also, any team can nominate players, but just playoff teams can vote.

Also, do all the Open Division teams get a predetermined allocation? If so, shouldn't JSerra have had a player on the team?

In almost every case, the head coach just picks the players he wants for his allocated spots. The exceptions are typically just when a coach doesn't show up.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:31 am

McKlintock wrote:In almost every case, the head coach just picks the players he wants for his allocated spots. The exceptions are typically just when a coach doesn't show up.

Thanks for the explanation. Since Ormaby did not nominate anyone from his team, who got JSerra’s spot?

How is the POY determined?

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:26 am

McKlintock wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:

In almost every case, the head coach just picks the players he wants for his allocated spots. The exceptions are typically just when a coach doesn't show up.

Exactly. The coaches don’t want to challenge each other’s opinion on their own players.

topten
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby topten » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:29 am

Well stated

DJGavin9
How are you connected to water polo?: By love

Postby DJGavin9 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:06 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
McKlintock wrote:In almost every case, the head coach just picks the players he wants for his allocated spots. The exceptions are typically just when a coach doesn't show up.

Thanks for the explanation. Since Ormaby did not nominate anyone from his team, who got JSerra’s spot?

How is the POY determined?

Ormbsy did not show up for CIF meeting.

arbolado

Postby arbolado » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:18 pm

Ewater wrote:I was told first hand that Ormsby didn’t show up for the All-CIF call, nor the All Trinity league call. I don’t know what they did about league, but that has to be why his player(s) aren’t represented here.

What? Ormsby skipped out on the meetings to nominate his kids? What a bummer for his players, I can’t imagine that will be good for his recruiting efforts?

Return to “High School BOYS”