Class of 2022 commits

Boys High School Competition
jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Re: Class of 2022 commits

Postby jeff » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:45 pm

West Temkin, Campolindo and CC United, Princeton.

Princeton has a top 5 or 6 recruiting class.

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:23 pm

jeff wrote:West Temkin, Campolindo and CC United, Princeton.

Princeton has a top 5 or 6 recruiting class.

Jeff,

In your opinion, how would you rank the recruiting classes so far?

Just based off of the first post in this thread and the recent posts over the last month, I’d rank it:

1. Cal
2. USC
3. UCLA
4. Princeton
5. Stanford (I could see UCSB making a case for 5)

Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks.

jeff

Postby jeff » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:00 pm

At this point in the recruiting cycle, most of the top American high school players have announced where they intend to go to college. Orange Lutheran's Reed Pantaleon, Newport’s Gage Verdegaal, Mater Dei’s Vince Merk (21.45 in the 50), and Sacred Heart's Gavin West (West is taking a gap year) are among the top players who haven’t committed. We have heard very little about the international recruits. However, official announcements about international recruits often come very late in the recruiting cycle. With that caveat, this is how I would rank the 2022 college recruiting classes:

1. Cal. Marci Szatmary, a LH attacker from Cathedral Catholic, reminds me of Tyler Abramson. Szatmary isn’t as fast or strong as Abramson was at the same age, but he has a strong perimeter shot and could flourish in Cal’s offense as other teams focus on Papanikolaou, Deely, Valera, and Casabella. William Kelly, an attacker from Laguna Beach, had a great senior season and could start for Cal in a few years. Nikola Mirkovic (21.39 in the 50), an attacker from Huntington Beach, also has the potential to start in a few years. Cal wanted West Temkin, a goalie from Campolindo, but he chose to go to Princeton.

2. USC. I give a slight edge to USC over UCLA for the No. 2 spot. Although this is Marko Pintaric’s best recruiting class, he still hasn’t recruited an elite international player. USC’s incoming class includes two LH attackers, Jack Vort (6’4” and an excellent passer) from Sacred Heart and Charlie Saunders (22.41 in the 50) from De La Salle. USC needs a center. Therefore, Zac Crenshaw, a center from Long Beach Wilson, could receive a lot of playing time as a freshman. From a distance, it also appears that USC could use another goalie. Temkin would have been a great addition to USC’s class.

3. UCLA. As usual, Adam Wright has a solid class, but UCLA could use another LH attacker.

4. Princeton. This may be Dusty Litvak’s best recruiting class at Princeton. West Temkin has senior national team potential. Mater Dei’s Logan McCarroll is a very good attacker. Luke Johnston is an underrated center from Sacred Heart. If he stays healthy, he will help Princeton try to make up for the loss of Wyatt Benson.

5. Stanford. Goalie Griffen Price from Sacred Heart has senior national team potential and could be a 4-year starter at Stanford. As Rb notes elsewhere in this website, Stanford will have a very strong group of goalies in the fall. It will be interesting to see if one of them elects to transfer to another college.

6. UCSB

7. Harvard. Harvard’s incoming class includes Huntington Beach’s James Rozolis-Hill, probably the best center in the Class of 2022, and 2MD Mason Hunt, a key member of Newport’s 2021 championship team.

8. U.C. Davis

JFranpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Water polo scout for USA water polo....ODP program

Postby JFranpolo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:55 am

Long Beach State's class has added some players over the last couple of weeks and added a nice get tonight with the commitment of center/defender Reed Pantaleon (Orange Lutheran).

Commits

Reed Pantaleon (Orange Lutheran)
Caleb Francisco (Los Alamitos)
Alex Makshanoff (JSerra0
Gabriel Haddad (Huntington Beach)

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:31 am

Still,....Lots of HS Seniors still "hanging" in the balance. Rough year for them.

LandLubber
How are you connected to water polo?: New fan.

Postby LandLubber » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:51 pm

For sure. Seems like COVID really screwed up college recruiting (among other things). Schools seem way behind in their historic processes. Will be interesting to see if things pick up this Spring.

OCWaterpolofan29
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:35 pm

Waylon Fox (Jserra/SoCal)- UC Davis

ruin4life
How are you connected to water polo?: water polo parent and fan of the sport

Postby ruin4life » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:35 pm

JFranpolo wrote:Long Beach State's class has added some players over the last couple of weeks and added a nice get tonight with the commitment of center/defender Reed Pantaleon (Orange Lutheran).

Commits

Reed Pantaleon (Orange Lutheran)
Caleb Francisco (Los Alamitos)
Alex Makshanoff (JSerra0
Gabriel Haddad (Huntington Beach)

Great get for the Beach. It addresses their need in the middle. Top 5/6 in my book.

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:54 pm

Gage Verdegaal, Newport to UCI (but first a gap year)

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:30 pm

Vinnie Merk (Vanguard, Mater Dei HS)- UCLA

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:19 am

OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:Vinnie Merk (Vanguard, Mater Dei HS)- UCLA

Iv'e watched this guy....he has talent. Wish him well at UCLA

jeff

Postby jeff » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:00 am

Will Stryker, Miramonte and Lamorinda, U.C. Davis

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:13 pm

Ilias Stothart (Harvard Westlake)- Brown University

Return to “High School BOYS”