CIF PLAYOFFS

Boys High School Competition
seaB
How are you connected to water polo?: water fan

Re: CIF PLAYOFFS

Postby seaB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:42 pm

MD defeats HW, 9-8 with a lock down defense in the fourth, IMO, HW's head coach outcoached by MD's head coach.
...very hard to beat a team of equal talent three consecutive times in a row, I'm actually a little surprised MD did it.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Congratulations to MD. They did a great job of containing Hallock. I did not think that they would be able to. Good job boys.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:26 pm

seaB wrote:MD defeats HW, 9-8 with a lock down defense in the fourth, IMO, HW's head coach outcoached by MD's head coach.
...very hard to beat a team of equal talent three consecutive times in a row, I'm actually a little surprised MD did it.

Totally agree. Flacks made no adjustments

Thersites
How are you connected to water polo?: Reknown Waterman. Grew up with the Legends of the Game.

Postby Thersites » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Predictions for next year? Foothill losing 4 or 5 starters... Dana losing Williams and Zachary their 2 most valuable players. MD losing 4 starters, HW losing Hallock.
Young teams, HB, Newport, OLU, return the majority of their starters.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:35 am

Way too early to start predictions. Lots can happen between now and next summer. Simply going by who's losing who might be an indicator of things to come,…but it's best not to count your chickens before they hatch.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:50 am

Too early, but for fun, a top 5

1. Mater Dei (could start another string of championships)
2. HW (still a great starting group w/o #6, still no depth)
3. HB (darkhorse for finals)
4. OLu (more experienced)
5. Loyola (loses a lot of seniors, Vavic is back and will reload)

polobythesea
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby polobythesea » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:25 am

Exciting season and a great game played by MD!

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Defense…the "most important" (albeit the most boring) part of any game. MD's coach is a mad scientist.

unskilled
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby unskilled » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:49 pm

I'd like to see hallock get D1 player of the year despite the loss. He's the best high school polo player and there's no if's, and's, or but's about it.

ebb&flow
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, parent, rec player

Postby ebb&flow » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:25 pm

While Hallock is an amazing player, I think CIF POY will go to Dunstan. He is a true utility player - sprinter - attacker - setter - defender and a lefty to top it off. If HW had more wins against MD (3-1), Hallock may have gotten the votes to put him ahead of Dunstan. I'm also guessing Segesman will get Coach of Year again.

yolopolo
How are you connected to water polo?: An avid player and fan

Postby yolopolo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:14 pm

The POY should definitely go to hallock. Mater dei had to structure their entire offense around hallock, hw definitely did not structure their offense around dunstan. Was dunstan an amazing player, yes but hallock was on his own level this year. HW would be not have made finals if it was not for him, not only does hallock score goals but he draws alot of attention which opens up more space for players like felix and henriksson to put points up

wombat
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wombat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:32 pm

I think it is pretty simple, if you were starting a team, who would you pick first? That is the POY.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Um…it's pretty simple. POY usually goes to the player that is also from the "winning team". Also, Dunstan consistently draws just as many exclusions per game (and he's not even a center)...draws just as much attention on offense,…is better defensively, is faster…plus, he never whines and complains like Hallock does. But, none of this really matters since they'll be teammates together on the Senior National Team. Perhaps they both should be "Co-POY".

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm guessing co-poy. All comes down to which coach is the better politician. I lean towards POY being from the winning team though.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:33 pm

I'd still like someone to explain to me why you would run a double post offense against a drop defense? MD collapsed everyone on the weak side and left 1/4/5 open. MD put their hands up and eliminated anything but a perfect shot from outside. I couldn't even count how many field blocks they had. #6 started playing on the wing for several possessions and did nothing from there. Why not spread out a bit and create more of a lane for your outside shooters? I'm not a coach though so what do I know.

Return to “High School BOYS”