California Top 10

Boys High School Competition
baberuthbar
How are you connected to water polo?: FAN

California Top 10

Postby baberuthbar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:05 am

Now that the season has just finished, I thought I'd post a possible top 10 for California High School Water Polo (and probably top 10 nationally). No particular science to this other than looking at the season results including the end of the season tournaments. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the spots belong to CIF teams. Overlap with CIF, NCS and CCS teams is generally limited to the tournaments so it's obviously an inexact science. Here goes:

(1) Mater Dei (CIF D1 Champs)
(2) Harvard Westlake (CIF D1 2nd)
(3) Loyola (CIF D1 3/4)
(4) Huntington Beach (CIF D1 3/4)
(5) Foothill (CIF D2 Champs)
(6) Corona Del Mar (CIF D1 5/6)
(7) Sacred Heart Prep (CCS D2 Champs)
(8) OLU (CIF D1 5/6)
(9) Cathedral Catholic (San Diego Section Champs)
(10) Campolindo (NCS D1 Champs)

tonyazevedo99
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Re: California Top 10

Postby tonyazevedo99 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:27 pm

I think you should include Righetti in there as well. They are a top tier team and they have shown that they can easily be top 5 in D1, despite being a D4 team.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:18 pm

tonyazevedo99 wrote:I think you should include Righetti in there as well. They are a top tier team and they have shown that they can easily be top 5 in D1, despite being a D4 team.

Why aren't Righetti and Foothill in D1?

baberuthbar

Postby baberuthbar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Righetti had a great season but I don't see any wins against the Top 10 teams that would justify their inclusion. Drake in NCS only lost one game all season in the finals to Campo but also didn't play any SoCal or CCS teams during the season. They would also be in that 10-15 ranking.

Two of the top 10 are D2 schools: Foothill and SHP. I believe that CCS places the teams in divisions according to student enrollment so SHP doesn't have the option to move to D1 (despite winning D2 for six years in a row and beating the D1 champion many of those years). I think that Foothill is in a similar situation although I hear there are changes coming for 2016.

slickskip
How are you connected to water polo?: played for years, avid fan

Postby slickskip » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Campolindo does not belong on that list. It should be either Drake or Bellarmine instead.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:13 pm

tonyazevedo99 wrote:I think you should include Righetti in there as well. They are a top tier team and they have shown that they can easily be top 5 in D1, despite being a D4 team.

Now way should Righetti be on that list. "easily b top 5 in D1" - how do you figure?

baberuthbar

Postby baberuthbar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:26 pm

The Campo/Drake/Bellarmine debate is troublesome. The last game of the season, Campo beat Drake. Drake beat Campo earlier in the season. That said, Campo was entirely inconsistent during the regular season and did not have a top 10 team record. On the other hand, Drake had a great record but didn't play anyone in the top 10. I think the end of season match-ups weigh much more heavily on the rankings than early season results. Bellarmine won CCS D1 but, other than CCS-NCS tourney and a win against Coronado, didn't play great in North-South or their own tournament against SoCal schools and lost to some average teams toward the end of the season. That said, I think there is an argument that Drake or Bellarmine are more deserving of that #10 spot.

jinvta

Postby jinvta » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Dana Hills only lost to Foothill by 1 goal in 4 OT for the D2 Championship. In tournament play, Righetti lost to Santa Barbara who couldn't make it past the quarter-finals in D2.

tepcanman

Postby tepcanman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 pm

righetti beat cathedral catholic in sb tourney and split games with santa barbara, winning by 6 and losing by 1.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:17 pm

baberuthbar wrote:Now that the season has just finished, I thought I'd post a possible top 10 for California High School Water Polo (and probably top 10 nationally). No particular science to this other than looking at the season results including the end of the season tournaments. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the spots belong to CIF teams. Overlap with CIF, NCS and CCS teams is generally limited to the tournaments so it's obviously an inexact science. Here goes:

(3) Loyola (CIF D1 3/4)
(8) OLU (CIF D1 5/6)

baberuthbar wrote:Righetti had a great season but I don't see any wins against the Top 10 teams that would justify their inclusion. Drake in NCS only lost one game all season in the finals to Campo but also didn't play any SoCal or CCS teams during the season. They would also be in that 10-15 ranking.

Righetti beat Cathedral Catholic, Bishop's beat OLu, Coronado beat CdM, Cathedral beat both of them (and lost to both of them). OLu didn't get past Round 2 in the playoffs.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:40 pm

GoBears! wrote:
baberuthbar wrote:Now that the season has just finished, I thought I'd post a possible top 10 for California High School Water Polo (and probably top 10 nationally). No particular science to this other than looking at the season results including the end of the season tournaments. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the spots belong to CIF teams. Overlap with CIF, NCS and CCS teams is generally limited to the tournaments so it's obviously an inexact science. Here goes:

(3) Loyola (CIF D1 3/4)
(8) OLU (CIF D1 5/6)

baberuthbar wrote:Righetti had a great season but I don't see any wins against the Top 10 teams that would justify their inclusion. Drake in NCS only lost one game all season in the finals to Campo but also didn't play any SoCal or CCS teams during the season. They would also be in that 10-15 ranking.

Righetti beat Cathedral Catholic, Bishop's beat OLu, Coronado beat CdM, Cathedral beat both of them (and lost to both of them). OLu didn't get past Round 2 in the playoffs.

So you think Righetti is better than OLu?

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
GoBears! wrote:

(3) Loyola (CIF D1 3/4)
(8) OLU (CIF D1 5/6)

Maybe, maybe not, but there is a definite OC bias in the Top Ten and little attention paid to schools outside that little kingdom.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:21 pm

GoBears! wrote:Maybe, maybe not, but there is a definite OC bias in the Top Ten and little attention paid to schools outside that little kingdom.

The OP has 5 of the 10 teams from OC. I would say that is about right. Which of the 5 does not belong there and whom would you replace them with?

overthehill
How are you connected to water polo?: player/parent

Postby overthehill » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:40 pm

I agree with 1 through 5 but I would put OLu 6th since they beat Corona Del Mar at the Memorial Tourney. They also played Loyola twice and both games went to OT and one was triple OT. They played Huntington Beach in the quarter finals which also went to overtime. The majority of their starters are sophomores and with no seniors I think next year they will be in the top 4.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:46 pm

GoBears! wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
GoBears! wrote:

(3) Loyola (CIF D1 3/4)
(8) OLU (CIF D1 5/6)

Maybe, maybe not, but there is a definite OC bias in the Top Ten and little attention paid to schools outside that little kingdom.

IT will be interesting to see what division Righetti moves to. Probably D2. I think they would of been the 2 or 3 seed this year so they are around the level of Dana Hills. 11-15 sounds about right. Doesn't mean they couldn't beat one of the the teams in 7-10

Return to “High School BOYS”