Thoughts on CCS Open Division

Boys High School Competition
Whitehorse
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Thoughts on CCS Open Division

Postby Whitehorse » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Wondering what people thought of the new CCS Open Division structure?

Overall, I thought it was good and fair seeding. But in no way should a 5th ranking WCAL Team (Serra) have had to play in the Open Division. I think in the future, the 1st and/or 2nd place Teams from the various Leagues should HAVE to play in the Open Division. (Leland, Gunn, possibly Santa Cruz area, etc.) If your team has the GLORY of winning Leagues, then you've earned the priviledge of playing in the Open Division.

Allstar21
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Re: Thoughts on CCS Open Division

Postby Allstar21 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Are you sure that Serra isn't better than Leland/Gunn/Santa Cruz Teams? From what I see, They beat Leland, MA, and they also beat Santa Cruz in a much less tightly played game than you might think. Furthermore, they also beat SI, the eventual CCS D2 champions. Seems to me that they belonged in open division. To be completely honest, a 5th place team in WCAL is still most likely better than the winner of most other league in the area (Menlo excluded). You must remember that Open division is supposed to be the best 8 teams, not just the teams that won their leagues. Not all leagues are equal.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Whitehorse wrote:Wondering what people thought of the new CCS Open Division structure?

Overall, I thought it was good and fair seeding. But in no way should a 5th ranking WCAL Team (Serra) have had to play in the Open Division. I think in the future, the 1st and/or 2nd place Teams from the various Leagues should HAVE to play in the Open Division. (Leland, Gunn, possibly Santa Cruz area, etc.) If your team has the GLORY of winning Leagues, then you've earned the priviledge of playing in the Open Division.

It is no great honor to get crushed by a much better team because you are in a division for the playoffs way over your ability.

The Open Division should be for the top teams, regardless of where they finish in their league. If a league has three of the top five ranked teams in the CIF CCS, then they should be placed in the Open playoffs.

Leland, Gunn, St Ignatius etc are better off competing for a CIF title in their Division than getting creamed by BCP or SHP.

Allstar21
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby Allstar21 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Who do we think will be MVP, 1st Team etc. ?

Return to “High School BOYS”