likelihood of 2020 fall HS season?

Boys High School Competition
oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Re: likelihood of 2020 fall HS season?

Postby oldtimer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:57 pm

SkipShot101 wrote:I guess Stickman, capefear, old timer, Davis WP, etc were right. Our kids are at risk of dying from covid 19.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/na ... =196805384

So sad...

I have been away from the idiocracy that seems to have taken over this site for a few months, and I come back to this.

So let me get this straight. You are making the argument that one kid that committed suicide due to, at least in part, the stress of this situation is a justification for putting thousands at risk. In other words, you have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for those kids who have died from the virus (and yes, there have been kids die from it), but for your own ideological reasons think one person's death is more tragic? Is that what kind of critical thinking you learned in college? I suggest you get your money back.

For those who might recall (of which SkipShot101 is not one because he seems to lack a certain number of functioning brain cells), I asked a simple question of 2PlyBathingSuit back in March when he was totally opposed to the lock down: Would you feel bad if the death toll turned out to be over 200,000? Clearly for some, the answer is 'no'. These people only care about one kid who satisfies their own personal agenda.

For whatever it is worth, my initial postings on this issue with regards to the lock down were in support because I made the incorrect assumption that people would be smart and follow the guidelines, and if they did we would be reopened by July. Go back and read - if you have the intellectual honesty to. I maintained that line of argument into June. Only after realizing that the most self-centered and narrow minded were going to screw us all over did I capitulate. We are in this situation *because* of those who refused to wear masks, refused to socially distance and thought they were smarter than a PhD epidemiologist who has spend literally his entire life studying infectious diseases - but you folks, who perhaps took a biology class once, know more than him - because Sean Hannity told you so.

Regardless, hopefully there is a vaccine by year end and until then people have decided to follow rules. I know that our high school is allowing some conditioning with very strict guidelines in place. And even then, about 20% of the students refuse to participate for fear of catching the virus.

Anyone know someone personally who has contracted it? I do. A cousin in Montana, some friends in the Bay area and several acquaintances in the local area. All have said it is a very, very nasty virus (for them). Fortunately, none have died but several may have lasting complications. I also know a number of doctors, since I live in a medical community - and they say this is no joke, and it does not discriminate based on demographics and that, yes, kids are also affected - and may have lasting medical issues as a result.

If you want to call that fear mongering because you prefer to stick your head in the sand and pretend that everything is 'normal', that is up to you - just don't put other people at risk. Wear a mask in public, observe social distancing guidelines and respect other people's health. What you do with YOUR body is your own concern - but telling others they should put themselves at risk to satisfy your political leanings is the ultimate in self-importance.

Nothing left on this site of value, since the inmates seem to have taken over the asylum...

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm

badboy wrote:Kids don't kill themselves in a vacuum. While COVID certainly could have exacerbated things....

OK. How about this. People do not die in a vacuum- most COVID victims had pre-existing conditions...

As for oldtimer's newest rant, nothing has changed. People are stupid, oldtimer is smart. This all could be very well true, but I just hope that people with such mindset do not get to power- 20th century had a lot of cautionary stories.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 pm

wpolo93 wrote:
badboy wrote:Kids don't kill themselves in a vacuum. While COVID certainly could have exacerbated things....

OK. How about this. People do not die in a vacuum- most COVID victims had pre-existing conditions...

As for oldtimer's newest rant, nothing has changed. People are stupid, oldtimer is smart. This all could be very well true, but I just hope that people with such mindset do not get to power- 20th century had a lot of cautionary stories.

Well, I think that's all correct. The problem is that upwards of 40% of American adults have one of those pre-existing conditions, and many have more than just one.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:27 pm

In the USA, 7.1% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.4 million) have diagnosed anxiety. 3.2% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 1.9 million) have diagnosed depression. How many are undiagnosed we do not know...

Also, I am afraid that current teenagers are more mentally affected by switch to remote than well functioning adults.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 pm

wpolo93 wrote:In the USA, 7.1% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.4 million) have diagnosed anxiety. 3.2% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 1.9 million) have diagnosed depression. How many are undiagnosed we do not know...

Also, I am afraid that current teenagers are more mentally affected by switch to remote than well functioning adults.

All true and all concerning. But 3.2% of children isn't the same as 40% of the adult population, and covid isolation isn't the same as a virus that's proven to be highly lethal to those with pre-existing conditions.

I'd also note that while your stats are compelling, anxiety doesn't generally lead to suicide. In fact, I many kids with social anxiety are thriving in lockdown. It's the ADD/hyper social and truly depressed who are faring less well.

Don't get me wrong, covid's been tough on everyone. I'm for more normalcy for kids, but the school thing is tough since you can't have the kids there without the adults. Also, at this stage, most kids have figured out a way to hang with friends, exercise and play their sports, even if just in practice. The idea that we're "locked down" is simply false.

Engine9
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and player

Postby Engine9 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:28 am

Check out PA!

https://www.totalwaterpolo.com/2020/09/ ... tdoor-fix/

Great things happening again in our sport!

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 am

If you want to discuss numbers thenone should assume that the actual number of K-12 students with depression (if one counts both diagnosed and undiagnosed) is close to 10%.

As for pre-existing conditions, the number is probably less than 40%:
"About one in four Americans (24%) report that they personally (15%) or they and a member of their household (9%) "have a long-term medical condition, illness or disease that would be considered a 'preexisting' condition by a health insurance company." Factoring in the additional 19% who say another family member has such an illness or disease, the total percentage of U.S. households in which at least one member reports having a preexisting condition is 43%."
https://news.gallup.com/poll/269003/hou ... tions.aspx

Anyway, some group will be significantly affected no matter what course is chosen....

badboy wrote: Also, at this stage, most kids have figured out a way to hang with friends, exercise and play their sports, even if just in practice. .

I have no illusion about say college kids who live in dorms. Some colleges use single occupancy for double/ triple rooms. Guess what- it might be counterproductive as it makes easier to invite a horde of friends to a room without roommates...

I worry more about mental health of kids who live at home with vulnerable relatives (and thus might be somewhat limited in their social interactions) and study online. I think Sacramento school district schools will start re-opening in two weeks. We will see how it goes.

Return to “High School BOYS”