Likelihood of winter season?

Boys High School Competition
DinsdalePiranha
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Likelihood of winter season?

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am

I’ve asked before and I’ll ask again,

how many people have or have had COVID?
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

Presidio
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby Presidio » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 am

In my family (parents and my bro’s family) 10 out of 12 caught it. One of my sons and my brothers son both escaped it. The symptoms in the other 4 kids ranged from asymptotic to a month later still suffering from fatigue. Both my sister in law and and my wife handled it ok, which for me was surprising since my wife is a cancer survivor and has immune problems. My brother and I missed three weeks of work. I thought after four days I had it beat and then I didn’t. I’m mid fifties with no underlying conditions. I walk, swim or ride a bike close to ten hours a week with some time in the gym. I had my physical last February and all my stats were in the good to excellent range. My weight ranges from 210 to 225 and I’m 6’5”. Week two nearly broke me, the headache was intense for five days. Urgent care gave me shot for it with no effect. It still comes and goes and I’m at 31 days since my positive result. My bro had similar path as me, but no headaches, but the cough in both of us (him worse) was bad. Gasping for air bad. My O2 sensor had me at 94 one day, I was close to going to the hospital. My 78 year old mom with a host of underlying health issues did better than my wife, which was way better than me. My 78 year father who had a pacemaker, but other than that was in good health didn’t make it. He was an active man that played golf once a week and walked regularly. He was a person that got sick seasonally, but it never left him struggling. The way this virus attacked and held on to him was intense and to watch him break down in the CCU was heartbreaking. His hospital let my mother and my brother visit him.

I don’t know what the path forward is, my second son is jonesing to play ball and I desperately want him too. However, on the other hand you don’t know how this is going to affect your family. Ten of us had it and we all suffered differently. Even the two boys that didn’t get it suffered in isolation for 14 days as they waited the rest of us out. One of them is so angry for my fathers death. My parents went to a social event where a sick person was at. A Covid denyer. He got tested two days after being in contact with my parents and was positive. For us and our small sample size the mortality rate was 10%.

Sometimes I wish those that are loudest in denying this virus would catch it like we did, but I don’t really because the cost is too high. My dad wasn’t ready to go. He enjoyed watching his grandkids play polo. He was looking forward to seeing his grandson start his collegiate career.

Like I said I don’t know the answer, even after suffering like we have. I will say I hope the vaccine comes or I hope I have immunity longer than 90 days because a second round with the virus is not something I look forward too.

pietro michele
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach

Postby pietro michele » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 am

So now that we know it just isn’t anything to worry about meaningfully, how do the fear mongerers feel about their affect on everyone?

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:12 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:I’ve asked before and I’ll ask again,

how many people have or have had COVID?

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:45 pm

I am on the other end of the spectrum where no family nor friends have been physically effected. However, my family and I are vigilant as we have a 84 year old mother with diabetes whom also is a breast cancer survivor. My job requires me constant contact with people, up to 15 people daily. But I practice proper and thorough hygiene (good PPE provided by my company) and have been fortunate thus far. Though I do not see the physical impact of this, I do see the outcomes of the disease working at food distribution sites; friends who work in the mental health field, and other friends who have been laid off . Presidio, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your father, and its impact on your family.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:00 pm

Presidio,

I am very sorry to hear about your family's ordeal. It is horrible.

Currently, we are somewhat lucky that California has the 10th lowest positivity rate in the country.
On the other hand, according to recent media reports, the state has the third highest unemployment rate.
Cannot wait for the release of the vaccine.

packman
How are you connected to water polo?: fandad

Postby packman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Presidio wrote:In my family (parents and my bro’s family) 10 out of 12 caught it. One of my sons and my brothers son both escaped it. The symptoms in the other 4 kids ranged from asymptotic to a month later still suffering from fatigue. Both my sister in law and and my wife handled it ok, which for me was surprising since my wife is a cancer survivor and has immune problems. My brother and I missed three weeks of work. I thought after four days I had it beat and then I didn’t. I’m mid fifties with no underlying conditions. I walk, swim or ride a bike close to ten hours a week with some time in the gym. I had my physical last February and all my stats were in the good to excellent range. My weight ranges from 210 to 225 and I’m 6’5”. Week two nearly broke me, the headache was intense for five days. Urgent care gave me shot for it with no effect. It still comes and goes and I’m at 31 days since my positive result. My bro had similar path as me, but no headaches, but the cough in both of us (him worse) was bad. Gasping for air bad. My O2 sensor had me at 94 one day, I was close to going to the hospital. My 78 year old mom with a host of underlying health issues did better than my wife, which was way better than me. My 78 year father who had a pacemaker, but other than that was in good health didn’t make it. He was an active man that played golf once a week and walked regularly. He was a person that got sick seasonally, but it never left him struggling. The way this virus attacked and held on to him was intense and to watch him break down in the CCU was heartbreaking. His hospital let my mother and my brother visit him.

I don’t know what the path forward is, my second son is jonesing to play ball and I desperately want him too. However, on the other hand you don’t know how this is going to affect your family. Ten of us had it and we all suffered differently. Even the two boys that didn’t get it suffered in isolation for 14 days as they waited the rest of us out. One of them is so angry for my fathers death. My parents went to a social event where a sick person was at. A Covid denyer. He got tested two days after being in contact with my parents and was positive. For us and our small sample size the mortality rate was 10%.

Sometimes I wish those that are loudest in denying this virus would catch it like we did, but I don’t really because the cost is too high. My dad wasn’t ready to go. He enjoyed watching his grandkids play polo. He was looking forward to seeing his grandson start his collegiate career.

Like I said I don’t know the answer, even after suffering like we have. I will say I hope the vaccine comes or I hope I have immunity longer than 90 days because a second round with the virus is not something I look forward too.

so sorry to hear about your family's struggles and losses... I hope there's clear sailing right ahead for your family

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:55 pm

Presidio, and all others who have had people suffer from this disease, my condolences and I hope you get them from even those who think this is all 'fake' or we've overreacted.

I said this very early on in this 'debate'. Those who advocate for just allowing the virus to spread are those who don't believe they are personally at risk. In other words, everyone is more than willing to risk the lives of others - what a noble attitude.

I have two relatives that have contracted this, and know of no other friends/family/acquaintances personally. One had very mild symptoms, the other is in the hospital and may not make it. The one in the hospital initially seemed to have recovered, but then had serious respiratory symptoms appear. Both are over 65 and were in good health (no underlying conditions). Both live in Montana. I have 3rd person knowledge of a few other cases, some that said they had no real issues and some that said there was quite a bit of difficulty.

There still seem to be a lot of people who have trouble with facts and data, and would rather rely on anecdotal evidence to make decisions. The actual data shows that the death rate in the U.S. remains above 2% (8.7M infected, 225K deaths), and some unknown percentage of people who have had lingering difficulties long after 'recovering'. There are those who continue to cling to the idea that there have been 10 times as many infections as have been reported - without any actual evidence. A few small studies in communities that had significant infections implied this, but there have been no follow ups to determine those who showed antibodies subsequently contracted it. We have also heard that there have been a few confirmed cases of people contracting it twice. Which brings into question the entire 'herd immunity' concept with regards to this virus.

For those who have paid attention instead of just grasping for anything that would confirm their own desires, at the very beginning of this outbreak there were questions whether we could, in fact, achieve any real immunity to this disease. The 'common cold' was used as an example, which is itself a strain of coronavirus. Humans only remain 'immune' after contracting what is called the common cold for 1-2 years, after which they are susceptible again. It is beginning to appear that there are similar issues with this strain.

Also recall that the reason for lockdown was to avoid overloading hospitals. The death rate in New York was very high, in part because hospitals were unable to treat everyone effectively. Some states that have seen recent outbreaks are also reporting that hospital capacities are becoming a concern. If we just allow the disease to spread unchecked, it becomes a very distinct possibility that more people die simply due to lack of treatment. In this case, vaccines and restrictions are intended to prevent such an overload. But, of course I do realize that those who believe they are somehow not at risk don't care - after all, it's someone else (or someone else's loved ones) that will die.

225K+ deaths. Is there any political argument you subscribe to (abortion, gun control, war, vaccines, high priced drugs, national security/immigration, etc.) where you use the argument that it is immoral to allow people to die or suffer debilitating injury? If so, why not this one?

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:37 pm

I read the word “actual” in regard to the death rate. What’s the denominator?
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

Uswjnr05

Postby Uswjnr05 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:01 pm

So if people are catching this two times, the immunity factor cannot last 1-2 years like a cold unless the outbreak started two years ago and went undetected. Say it is only six months, herd immunity is unrealistic and a vaccine and restrictions are just a delaying factors, the end sum of your scenario is what?

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:19 pm

oldtimer wrote:Presidio, and all others who have had people suffer from this disease, my condolences and I hope you get them from even those who think this is all 'fake' or we've overreacted.

I said this very early on in this 'debate'. Those who advocate for just allowing the virus to spread are those who don't believe they are personally at risk. In other words, everyone is more than willing to risk the lives of others - what a noble attitude.

I have two relatives that have contracted this, and know of no other friends/family/acquaintances personally. One had very mild symptoms, the other is in the hospital and may not make it. The one in the hospital initially seemed to have recovered, but then had serious respiratory symptoms appear. Both are over 65 and were in good health (no underlying conditions). Both live in Montana. I have 3rd person knowledge of a few other cases, some that said they had no real issues and some that said there was quite a bit of difficulty.

There still seem to be a lot of people who have trouble with facts and data, and would rather rely on anecdotal evidence to make decisions. The actual data shows that the death rate in the U.S. remains above 2% (8.7M infected, 225K deaths), and some unknown percentage of people who have had lingering difficulties long after 'recovering'. There are those who continue to cling to the idea that there have been 10 times as many infections as have been reported - without any actual evidence. A few small studies in communities that had significant infections implied this, but there have been no follow ups to determine those who showed antibodies subsequently contracted it. We have also heard that there have been a few confirmed cases of people contracting it twice. Which brings into question the entire 'herd immunity' concept with regards to this virus.

For those who have paid attention instead of just grasping for anything that would confirm their own desires, at the very beginning of this outbreak there were questions whether we could, in fact, achieve any real immunity to this disease. The 'common cold' was used as an example, which is itself a strain of coronavirus. Humans only remain 'immune' after contracting what is called the common cold for 1-2 years, after which they are susceptible again. It is beginning to appear that there are similar issues with this strain.

Also recall that the reason for lockdown was to avoid overloading hospitals. The death rate in New York was very high, in part because hospitals were unable to treat everyone effectively. Some states that have seen recent outbreaks are also reporting that hospital capacities are becoming a concern. If we just allow the disease to spread unchecked, it becomes a very distinct possibility that more people die simply due to lack of treatment. In this case, vaccines and restrictions are intended to prevent such an overload. But, of course I do realize that those who believe they are somehow not at risk don't care - after all, it's someone else (or someone else's loved ones) that will die.

225K+ deaths. Is there any political argument you subscribe to (abortion, gun control, war, vaccines, high priced drugs, national security/immigration, etc.) where you use the argument that it is immoral to allow people to die or suffer debilitating injury? If so, why not this one?

People will cry about your stats, but the reality is that even if the case rate IS 10x higher than reported, that still leaves upwards of 80% of Americans who still haven't had it yet. If you need 80% for herd immunity, that means 60% of America still needs to get it. So we're looking at hundreds of thousands more dead before herd immunity, if that's even possible. So YAY!

Presidio
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby Presidio » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

5150wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Son has played since U10. Now plays in college.

Postby 5150wpdad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Eternal optimist here...anyone have insight on whether CIF will release southern section wp season preview? It was due in October...

https://cifss.org/sports/boys-water-polo/

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:32 pm

6 weeks until full practices and 8 weeks until games of all sports. Crickets from the governor and CIF, other than LAUSD saying they won’t be starting we have heard nothing.

With case counts rising again, no testing protocol in place, no plan for a return to games from CIF, I think it’s getting harder and harder to think this is gonna happen.

IpayBar

Postby IpayBar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:27 pm

retiredguy wrote:6 weeks until full practices and 8 weeks until games of all sports. Crickets from the governor and CIF, other than LAUSD saying they won’t be starting we have heard nothing.

With case counts rising again, no testing protocol in place, no plan for a return to games from CIF, I think it’s getting harder and harder to think this is gonna happen.

Usually a glass half full person but sadly think retired guy is spot on. This is all botched up with red tape directly from the governor and trickling down to the rest of government minions. Nobody has a spine or willing to stick their necks on the line for sports to happen. Very doubtful in government in this state to move forward with anything related to school or sports.

Out of state tournaments should pave the way in our sport. Perhaps get groups of 20 to 36 teams in different age categories for girls and boys organized. Maybe even make them college showcase events for older groups. This is lame

Return to “High School BOYS”