Top Ten Boys High School San Diego 2021-2022

Boys High School Competition
topten
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Top Ten Boys High School San Diego 2021-2022

Postby topten » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Water Polo San Diego 2021-2022 High School Boy's season Top Ten & a half
Let’s get the conversation started
Looks like practice starts next week for many High School teams, many never stop practicing.

Top Ten San Diego Fall 2021 High School Boy's Water Polo
==============================================
Cathedral
La Jolla
Bishop's
Carlsbad
Grossmont
Poway
Valhalla
Torrey Pines
Canyon Crest Academy
Westview
Mar Vista
Patrick Henry

WPDAD13

Re: Top Ten Boys High School San Diego 2021-2022

Postby WPDAD13 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:25 pm

To me, cathedral is the HEAVY HEAVY favorite. I would be very surprised if they didn't win it all.

topten

Postby topten » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:54 pm

I concur.

topten

Postby topten » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:48 am

I watched the Draz Classic today and I witnessed a few surprises. The one that drastically changed the ranking was Valhalla.

Cathedral
La Jolla
Bishop's
Valhalla
Carlsbad
Poway
Grossmont
Canyon Crest Academy
Westview
Torrey Pines

http://www.cifsds.org/boys-water-polo.html

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:02 pm

topten wrote:Water Polo San Diego 2021-2022 High School Boy's season Top Ten & a half

Cathedral, La Jolla, Bishop's, Carlsbad, Grossmont, Poway, Valhalla, Torrey Pines, Canyon Crest Academy, Westview, Mar Vista, Patrick Henry

Coronado won't be better than Westview, Mar Vista, Patrick Henry or Grossmont?

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby WaPoSaD » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Coronado will be just fine; one bad scrimmage at Draz does not a season make. For example, yesterday, Coronado only lost to Poway by 1 goal. I suspect that 'Nado will end the season at that always-tough Open/D1 cut line. (After, admittedly, losing all their league games by a bunch; it'll be a rough October for the Islanders.)

The Rancho Bernardo Invitational takes place this upcoming weekend, and that'll give us some early-season insight into some of the likely 5-10 teams. Poway, Mar Vista, Torrey Pines, Canyon Crest, and others are playing.

WPDAD13

Postby WPDAD13 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:45 pm

I heard that poway lucked out and got a Hungarian foreign exchange student that plays water polo.

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Postby JackBurton » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 pm

WPDAD13 wrote:I heard that poway lucked out and got a Hungarian foreign exchange student that plays water polo.

Is there such a thing as a Hungarian who doesn’t play water polo? :D

WaPoSaD

Postby WaPoSaD » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:22 pm

The season's in full swing, various scores have been posted, some league games have been played (with many more to come soon), so the top teams in San Diego are starting to shake out. Here's how I see it at present, with the caveat that there are many, many omissions in scores on the CIF web site (and team water polo pages in San Diego are almost invariably super incomplete):

1. Bishop's & Cathedral (tied). I'd have put Cathedral a fair piece over Bishop's at the outset of the season, but that's not the way the games have played out, at least thus far. They haven't played each other, but both teams have played several top ten teams nationally (and with some common opponents), so you can get at least a clue of where they respectively stand. Bishop's beat Orange Lutheran 12-10, whereas Cathedral lost to OLu twice, 11-14 and 14-15. Plus Bishop's lost to Mater Dei -- perhaps the top team in the country -- in overtime, which is impressive. On Cathedral's side, though, the Dons only lost to JSerra by 1 (7-8), whereas Bishop's lost to 'em by 5 (10-15). Arguably size of loss doesn't always matter much, since things can be a bit different once you're down (7 field players, playing subs, etc.), but still. You'd objectively give Bishop's the nod given the OLu results, but I'm not yet convinced, so I'll keep 'em tied for now.

3. La Jolla. Lots of wins, by a fair margin, against various San Diego schools. Lost to JSerra 6-19, albeit see the comments about margin of loss above. Hasn't played many tough teams, though beat Valhalla handily (16-7). Was only able to squeak out a one-goal win against Menlo, which barely ranks in the top 20 nationally, but still, a win's a win. I think LJ's a clear No. 3, though I also think they can be competitive against Bishop's and Cathedral.

4. Valhalla. The next group of four or five teams is tough to untangle. I went ahead and gave Valhalla the No. 4 slot (for now) even though there's not much to go on. They lost to La Jolla 8-17, but stayed close with Coronado despite losing 8-9 (and I'll discuss 'Nado below). Valhalla hasn't played many super competitive teams, though they beat Santana 12-8. I suspect Valhalla will fall in the rankings as the season progresses, but for now I'll place them at roughly the same level as Coronado (given their close one-goal game) and await further scores.

5. Coronado. I know, I know: this is not the Coronado team of a decade or two ago. But it's got some good players, and remains super competitive. Coronado has some quality wins -- though admittedly often close ones -- against good San Diego teams, several in the top ten (or close thereto) themselves. Notably, 'Nado beat Valhalla 9-8, Vista 11-10 and Santana 10-7. I nonetheless popped Valhalla over Coronado, notwithstanding the one-goal loss by the Norsemen, because Coronado lost to Poway (10-11) and, surprisingly, Torrey Pines (8-9). You've got to be able to beat teams like Torrey Pines if you want to be ranked highly in San Diego, IMHO: though TP's a good team, this season, they've lost to Eastlake, San Marcos, Helix, Classical, Santana, Patrick Henry, etc. I get it; some days things just don't go right, or players are absent, or what have you. But those losses still put 'Nado under Valhalla.

[Parenthetical addition: Since 'Nado lost to Poway 10-11, I'd normally assume that Poway goes somewhere in here, and also personally think they're a very good team. But I literally don't know how to explain Poway's season, or at least the scores they've posted. Poway only lost to JSerra by two goals (9-11), which indicates that the team should be awesome; indeed, potentially in the top three or four in San Diego. But at the same time, the CIF website shows Poway only beating Fallbrook by 1 (14-13), splitting games with Mt. Carmel (winning 8-7 and then losing later in the season 9-11), losing to Mar Vista 8-9, and then (most crazily) getting crushed by Francis Parker 6-16. I understand that a team can have a bad tournament, and I can imagine that there might be some explanation for those results -- or maybe some/all are simply wrong -- but as it stands, I can't put Poway in the top ten with a record like that. I suspect they'll eventually prove themselves and get placed where they properly belong, but for now, until they get better (or at least more consistent) posted results, they're out.]

6. Vista. Beat Poway 12-9 (though this only shows up on Vista's scores, not Poway's) and Grossmont 12-10, so those scores tell you roughly where Vista stands. Lost to Coronado 10-11, which is largely why I put Vista right under 'Nado in the rankings. Predictably lost to La Jolla and JSerra by a bunch (5-12 and 4-21, respectively).

7. Grossmont. Most of Grossmont's scores make sense. Lost to Vista 10-12, so it's one spot under Vista. Beat Carlsbad 16-14, which is why it's a tiny bit over CBad. Lost to La Jolla 7-12 and to Bishop's 5-20, but no shame there. The inexplicable outlier is Grossmont getting crushed by Rancho Bernardo 10-21. (RB in turn has lost to Westview, Granite Hills, Clairemont, Fallbrook, etc.) But I'll put Grossmont at No. 7 regardless.

8. Mar Vista. I suspect that Mar Vista will move up in the rankings as the season progresses, and will be particularly interested in their games against La Jolla (next week) and Valhalla (near the end of the season). As far as the CIF website reflects, Mar Vista is currently undefeated, with wins against Poway (twice, once 13-4 and more recently 9-8). Canyon Crest (16-4). Torrey Pines (8-3) and assorted others. The close game against Patrick Henry a couple of weeks ago (10-8) gives me some pause, but I'm at last very comfortable putting MV at No. 8.

9. Carlsbad. Unusually, has mostly played Orange County and Northern California teams, and has lost pretty much all of those games. Indeed, CIF only lists two wins all season for Carlsbad; a win over Rancho Bernardo early and a one-goal victory over Garces Memorial. But Carlsbad hasn't seen fit to enter its scores from the AFC tournament last weekend, so I know there's more there. For now, I'm putting Carlsbad at No. 9 given its two-goal loss to No. 7 Grossmont.

10. Mount Carmel. Yes, Mt. Carmel. I know it's not a traditional powerhouse, but at least according to the CIF, they've only lost one game all season: a one-goal loss to Poway (8-9). Convincing wins against teams like Canyon Crest (18-8) and Rancho Bernardo (12-6). Sure, Mt. Carmel's only a D2 school, and doesn't play anyone particularly tough for the rest of the season, so I'm not sure we'll learn anything more about the squad from here on out. And, yes, maybe the close game against Poway was an outlier; as I said above, so far, this year, Poway's a riddle wrapped in mystery and inside an enigma. But I'll still put Mt. Carmel at No. 10 until some other team proves they deserve to be there.

Again: It's early in the season, not all scores are posted, and some of the results are -- frankly -- bizarre. Perhaps fitting for the continuing COVID era. But, for now, that's how I see things in sunny and wonderful San Diego.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:16 am

WaPoSaD wrote:The season's in full swing, various scores have been posted, some league games have been played (with many more to come soon), so the top teams in San Diego are starting to shake out. Here's how I see it at present, with the caveat that there are many, many omissions in scores on the CIF web site (and team water polo pages in San Diego are almost invariably super incomplete):

1. Bishop's & Cathedral (tied). I'd have put Cathedral a fair piece over Bishop's at the outset of the season, but that's not the way the games have played out, at least thus far. They haven't played each other, but both teams have played several top ten teams nationally (and with some common opponents), so you can get at least a clue of where they respectively stand. Bishop's beat Orange Lutheran 12-10, whereas Cathedral lost to OLu twice, 11-14 and 14-15. Plus Bishop's lost to Mater Dei -- perhaps the top team in the country -- in overtime, which is impressive. On Cathedral's side, though, the Dons only lost to JSerra by 1 (7-8), whereas Bishop's lost to 'em by 5 (10-15). Arguably size of loss doesn't always matter much, since things can be a bit different once you're down (7 field players, playing subs, etc.), but still. You'd objectively give Bishop's the nod given the OLu results, but I'm not yet convinced, so I'll keep 'em tied for now.

3. La Jolla. Lots of wins, by a fair margin, against various San Diego schools. Lost to JSerra 6-19, albeit see the comments about margin of loss above. Hasn't played many tough teams, though beat Valhalla handily (16-7). Was only able to squeak out a one-goal win against Menlo, which barely ranks in the top 20 nationally, but still, a win's a win. I think LJ's a clear No. 3, though I also think they can be competitive against Bishop's and Cathedral.

4. Valhalla. The next group of four or five teams is tough to untangle. I went ahead and gave Valhalla the No. 4 slot (for now) even though there's not much to go on. They lost to La Jolla 8-17, but stayed close with Coronado despite losing 8-9 (and I'll discuss 'Nado below). Valhalla hasn't played many super competitive teams, though they beat Santana 12-8. I suspect Valhalla will fall in the rankings as the season progresses, but for now I'll place them at roughly the same level as Coronado (given their close one-goal game) and await further scores.

5. Coronado. I know, I know: this is not the Coronado team of a decade or two ago. But it's got some good players, and remains super competitive. Coronado has some quality wins -- though admittedly often close ones -- against good San Diego teams, several in the top ten (or close thereto) themselves. Notably, 'Nado beat Valhalla 9-8, Vista 11-10 and Santana 10-7. I nonetheless popped Valhalla over Coronado, notwithstanding the one-goal loss by the Norsemen, because Coronado lost to Poway (10-11) and, surprisingly, Torrey Pines (8-9). You've got to be able to beat teams like Torrey Pines if you want to be ranked highly in San Diego, IMHO: though TP's a good team, this season, they've lost to Eastlake, San Marcos, Helix, Classical, Santana, Patrick Henry, etc. I get it; some days things just don't go right, or players are absent, or what have you. But those losses still put 'Nado under Valhalla.

[Parenthetical addition: Since 'Nado lost to Poway 10-11, I'd normally assume that Poway goes somewhere in here, and also personally think they're a very good team. But I literally don't know how to explain Poway's season, or at least the scores they've posted. Poway only lost to JSerra by two goals (9-11), which indicates that the team should be awesome; indeed, potentially in the top three or four in San Diego. But at the same time, the CIF website shows Poway only beating Fallbrook by 1 (14-13), splitting games with Mt. Carmel (winning 8-7 and then losing later in the season 9-11), losing to Mar Vista 8-9, and then (most crazily) getting crushed by Francis Parker 6-16. I understand that a team can have a bad tournament, and I can imagine that there might be some explanation for those results -- or maybe some/all are simply wrong -- but as it stands, I can't put Poway in the top ten with a record like that. I suspect they'll eventually prove themselves and get placed where they properly belong, but for now, until they get better (or at least more consistent) posted results, they're out.]

6. Vista. Beat Poway 12-9 (though this only shows up on Vista's scores, not Poway's) and Grossmont 12-10, so those scores tell you roughly where Vista stands. Lost to Coronado 10-11, which is largely why I put Vista right under 'Nado in the rankings. Predictably lost to La Jolla and JSerra by a bunch (5-12 and 4-21, respectively).

7. Grossmont. Most of Grossmont's scores make sense. Lost to Vista 10-12, so it's one spot under Vista. Beat Carlsbad 16-14, which is why it's a tiny bit over CBad. Lost to La Jolla 7-12 and to Bishop's 5-20, but no shame there. The inexplicable outlier is Grossmont getting crushed by Rancho Bernardo 10-21. (RB in turn has lost to Westview, Granite Hills, Clairemont, Fallbrook, etc.) But I'll put Grossmont at No. 7 regardless.

8. Mar Vista. I suspect that Mar Vista will move up in the rankings as the season progresses, and will be particularly interested in their games against La Jolla (next week) and Valhalla (near the end of the season). As far as the CIF website reflects, Mar Vista is currently undefeated, with wins against Poway (twice, once 13-4 and more recently 9-8). Canyon Crest (16-4). Torrey Pines (8-3) and assorted others. The close game against Patrick Henry a couple of weeks ago (10-8) gives me some pause, but I'm at last very comfortable putting MV at No. 8.

9. Carlsbad. Unusually, has mostly played Orange County and Northern California teams, and has lost pretty much all of those games. Indeed, CIF only lists two wins all season for Carlsbad; a win over Rancho Bernardo early and a one-goal victory over Garces Memorial. But Carlsbad hasn't seen fit to enter its scores from the AFC tournament last weekend, so I know there's more there. For now, I'm putting Carlsbad at No. 9 given its two-goal loss to No. 7 Grossmont.

10. Mount Carmel. Yes, Mt. Carmel. I know it's not a traditional powerhouse, but at least according to the CIF, they've only lost one game all season: a one-goal loss to Poway (8-9). Convincing wins against teams like Canyon Crest (18-8) and Rancho Bernardo (12-6). Sure, Mt. Carmel's only a D2 school, and doesn't play anyone particularly tough for the rest of the season, so I'm not sure we'll learn anything more about the squad from here on out. And, yes, maybe the close game against Poway was an outlier; as I said above, so far, this year, Poway's a riddle wrapped in mystery and inside an enigma. But I'll still put Mt. Carmel at No. 10 until some other team proves they deserve to be there.

Again: It's early in the season, not all scores are posted, and some of the results are -- frankly -- bizarre. Perhaps fitting for the continuing COVID era. But, for now, that's how I see things in sunny and wonderful San Diego.

For many years now I consistently have trouble on getting a handle on what's going-on down south in SD. I really appreciate your insight...Thanks.

H2Opolo10
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, ref, fan

Postby H2Opolo10 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:02 am

WaPoSaD wrote:The season's in full swing, various scores have been posted, some league games have been played (with many more to come soon), so the top teams in San Diego are starting to shake out. Here's how I see it at present, with the caveat that there are many, many omissions in scores on the CIF web site (and team water polo pages in San Diego are almost invariably super incomplete):

WaPoSaD,

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time on it. Just to clarify, Poway lost to JSerra’s JV team at the AFC tournament.

Gobama
How are you connected to water polo?: Yes

Postby Gobama » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:20 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:The season's in full swing....

I believe Poways loss to Parker is due to that game being on the afternoon of their homecoming and having a skeleton squad available fwiw.

I think you have Valhalla too high and Vista too low, but good starting point and great work compiling it all! Thanks!! Heres my $.02

I would go
1 CCHS (i know the common opponents say otherwise but they have the most talent)
2 Bishops (young, but the best coaching staff in SD)
3 La Jolla (fast, strong, and they ALWAYS give Bishops trouble)

(huge gap)

4 Coronado (surprised they have been this successful, a testament to the job Laslos done holding it together)
5 Vista (only one true stud, but in true vista fashion they have a bunch of big guys who battle)
6 Grossmont
7 Valhalla
8 Mar Vista
9 Carlsbad
10 Poway

D2
1 Mt Carmel
2 Clairemont
3 Granite

D3
1 SDA
2 LCC
3 San Marcos

topten

Postby topten » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:43 pm

With the San Diego High School Boys water polo season about half completed, not much has changed in the rankings.

San Diego Open Division Playoffs
The Top three teams too close to call.
Then there is a sizable gap with the remaining San Diego teams that are fighting for the last five positions in the Open Division.

Looks like it's going to result in who is injured & which players get the most game time action,

INJURIES: Top three teams (I understand La Jolla is the only team in the top three with no game sidelining injuries). Cathedral Catholic has a couple kids that should be out for the season, but might play anyway.

COACHES: The strategy this year is much different than in past years some coaches this year are NOT playing the impact players as starters. Some impact players have not seen much game time at all yet; looks like that may change this weekend at the elite-8 / 12 tournament.

It would be nice to see the most competitive six field players in the water at the same time for ALL teams! It's good for the sport not to mention the fans in attendance.

San Diego
Top three (I understand La Jolla is the only team in the top three with no injuries). Cathedral Catholic has a couple kids that should be out for the season, but might play anyway (not playing @ 100%)
Then there are eight teams fighting for the last five spots in the Open Division. You could add a few to this list.

Rankings
1 Bishops
2 Cathedral Catholic
3 La Jolla

4 Vista
5 Grossmont
6 Carlsbad
7 Coronado
8 Valhalla
9 Mar Vista
10 Santana
11 Poway

FYI
S&R 12 (formally S&R Elite 8 ) hosted by Harvard-Westlake and Oaks Christian:
------------------------------------------
Participating Teams:
------------------------------------------
Sacred Heart
Harvard-Westlake
Newport Harbor
Jserra Catholic
Bishops
Orange Lutheran
Cathedral Catholic
Loyola
Oaks Christian
Santa Barbara
Miramonte
Buchanan

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - love watching the game, from youth to masters.

Postby BayBoy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:16 am

Great posts here. How was the Cathedral - Bishop's game last night?

Can Coronado make the Top 4?

Thanks

WaPoSaD

Postby WaPoSaD » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:13 pm

It was a fun rivalry match at a Cathedral, which had its always-boisterous football team cheering on its water polo team from the stands (a Cathedral tradition). Bishop’s led from one to three goals all game, but Cathedral tied it up with 1:47 left in the match. Bishop’s ultimately won in “sudden victory” overtime with a backhand goal by senior driver Mark Stone. It was a hard-fought, fairly clean (given the stakes) contest. Bishop’s goalies played particularly well.

Return to “High School BOYS”