2021 CIFSS D1 Thread

Boys High School Competition
Ewater
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, fan, played in high school and college, parent

Re: 2021 CIFSS D1 Thread

Postby Ewater » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:43 pm

Olu 7
Servite 3

Halftime

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:52 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:

I think that’s right but I don’t think HW can be in the clear separation group since they lost to OLu. But they have a high ceiling with just a slightly lower floor than the top 3.

The favorites: 1. Mater Dei 2. Newport 3. HB
The Hopefuls: 4. Harvard Westlake
The Dreamers: OLu, JSerra, Bishops, Cathedral, Foothill, Laguna
The Outsiders: Loyola, PV, Los Alamitos, Oaks, La Jolla, Mira Costa (I’m sure I’m missing some).
This is for SoCal only

It is a nice list for "So Cal", but since Bishops, Cathedral and La Jolla are from San Diego, aren't they "favorites"?

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:01 am

Justafan22 wrote:I would like to see Oaks, Mater Dei, OLU and HW on the loosing end always, and let Newport and HB battle it out in the CIF finals and send the private schools a VIP invite to the game, with reserved seats up close, but in the stands

I would like to see Oaks, Mater Dei, OLU, HW, NH, HB on the loosing end always, and let less advantaged school get a chance to battle it out send the elite schools to a VIP invite tournament in someplace like Cinque Terre. It's just not fair all the advantages schools like Newport have. :roll:

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:13 pm

HW 8, Newport 7

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:13 pm

jeff wrote:HW 8, Newport 7

They should call this the “battle of the unfair advantages.” Advantage Harvard Westlake :lol:

UberPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Taxi service, bank, cheering section, occasional coach.
Oh... and parent.

Postby UberPolo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:07 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
H20parent wrote:
JFranpolo wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
jeff wrote:HW 15, Los Alamitos 9
OLu 15, Cathedral Catholic 14

I haven't seen Olu play,....but based on the empirical evidence, I no longer think they pose any threat at all to any teams amongst the top 7.

OLU is very athletic and pretty deep to. They have size and speed and an athletic goalie that does a great job coming out and getting steals, although this is his 1st year in the cage. However, despite having the talent, OLU can be erratic /undisciplined with their offensive execution, but they are talented.

Curious as to your top 7. The top 4 teams have clear separation in my mind. Then 6 teams OLu, JSerra, Laguna, Bishops, and Cathedral, and Foothill come next.

I won’t bother handicapping the top four, I’ll leave that to the experts, but the next six all have a ceiling of 5th and a floor of 11th in my humble and often wrong opinion.

I think that’s right but I don’t think HW can be in the clear separation group since they lost to OLu. But they have a high ceiling with just a slightly lower floor than the top 3.

The favorites: 1. Mater Dei 2. Newport 3. HB

The Hopefuls: 4. Harvard Westlake

The Dreamers: OLu, JSerra, Bishops, Cathedral, Foothill, Laguna

The Outsiders: Loyola, PV, Los Alamitos, Oaks, La Jolla, Mira Costa (I’m sure I’m missing some).

This is for SoCal only

HW is always underestimated in this board.
Yet they always end up ...

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am

Based on my admittedly unvalidated 'power' scores (using flawed but heavily massaged CIF data), I have the top 4 as follows:

1T. Huntington Beach
1T. Mater Dei
3. Harvard-Westlake
4. Newport Harbor

Those are followed by:

5. Lutheran/Orange
6. Foothill/Santa Ana
7. Santa Barbara
8. JSerra Catholic
9. Laguna Beach
10T. Loyola
10T. Palos Verdes

LandLubber
How are you connected to water polo?: New fan.

Postby LandLubber » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:46 pm

JSerra over SM 13-5. Cadet National team player Spencer Averitt with 3 goals, 3 field blocks and 3 steals for the Eagles. Cadet National team player Will Schneider led the Lions with 3 goals. Zach Cwertnia with 16 saves for SM. A plot twist was Coach Johnson playing Averitt at Center rather than 2MD against the Lions. The kid looked good there despite the double team and drop. Drew Vangrin was a terror defensively on the perimeter for JSerra and caused a number of turnovers. SM looked better than I had anticipated with the posts here thus far. JSerra less so.

BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - love watching the game, from youth to masters.

Postby BayBoy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:01 pm

Mater Dei 8 OLU 7 according to Albano
Second 1 goal game between the two

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:14 pm

HB 15- Newport 11

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm

LandLubber wrote:JSerra over SM 13-5. SM looked better than I had anticipated with the posts here thus far. JSerra less so.

I am not following. JSerra crushed SM 13-5 and SM impressed you and JSerra did not? Was the score not indicative of how the teams played?

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
LandLubber wrote:JSerra over SM 13-5. SM looked better than I had anticipated with the posts here thus far. JSerra less so.

I am not following. JSerra crushed SM 13-5 and SM impressed you and JSerra did not? Was the score not indicative of how the teams played?

Agree that it was a pretty good beating, but Landlubber is a big fan of SM and one of their players in particular.

LandLubber
How are you connected to water polo?: New fan.

Postby LandLubber » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:39 pm

SwimCoach wrote:

I was expecting a much bigger blowout. 20-2 or something. It was 2-1 SM after 1st. JS 6-4 at half. Kudos to Brett for halftime adjustments, but I don’t think they will fare well vs MD, HB, HW, Newport, etc. They are young and will get better though.

arbolado

Postby arbolado » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 am

LandLubber wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:

I was expecting a much bigger blowout. 20-2 or something. It was 2-1 SM after 1st. JS 6-4 at half. Kudos to Brett for halftime adjustments, but I don’t think they will fare well vs MD, HB, HW, Newport, etc. They are young and will get better though.

Kinda seems like a beat down when you have to rely on your goalie to make 16 saves to keep it at 13-5. If only he had 24 saves then you would’ve had JSerra right where you want them.

I also heard a rumor SM had some new talent transfers that became eligible to play this week.

CoachMCH1
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan. Parent.

Postby CoachMCH1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:00 pm

HB 15-12 over Newport. Very well played game on both sides. NB went up early 2-0. HB tied it 2-2 at the end of 1st quarter. HB scored first to go up 3-2 and never trailed the rest of the game. 2nd quarter was back and forth, with teams trading goals to 6-6 at halftime. They traded goals to 8-8 with 3 minutes left in 3rd. HB extended the lead to 11-9 at the end of the 3rd and extended lead to 12-9 at beginning of the 4th. From there they held off NB for the win. Both teams played well and looking forward to the next matchup in 3 weeks. HB goalie came up with a couple nice saves in the 4th to preserve the victory. NB lefty combo shot the ball very well. HB used their depth and spread the scoring which caused some problems for the NB defense.

Return to “High School BOYS”