CIF Regional Water Polo Championships

Boys High School Competition
BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - love watching the game, from youth to masters.

Re: CIF Regional Water Polo Championships

Postby BayBoy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:52 pm

GoBears! wrote:
jeff wrote:Newport 9, HW 8
MD 12, HB 11

While I think most people here agree the Regional Title in Div 1 isn't as well regarded as the SS Open Division Title, I guarantee you Newport in no way wants to lose to MD and I guarantee you MD would feel a sense of vindication if they won; just like Newport did when they lost to HW in the CIF SS Final, but beat HW in the Regional Final.

I'll stick with Newport.

Makes sense. A NHHS parent texted me that the idea that the athletes really don't care about regionals is over the top. The evidence he used was actually not that 2018 final but the 2019 OT game where HW defended its title. Newport is playing so well it appears they are on the same track.

Actually with three semifinal games yesterday coming down to the last shot, all teams obviously competed really hard. Really impressive top group this year.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:06 pm

BayBoy wrote:
GoBears! wrote:
MD 12, HB 11

While I think most people here agree the Regional Title in Div 1 isn't as well regarded as the SS Open Division Title, I guarantee you Newport in no way wants to lose to MD and I guarantee you MD would feel a sense of vindication if they won; just like Newport did when they lost to HW in the CIF SS Final, but beat HW in the Regional Final.

I'll stick with Newport.

Makes sense. A NHHS parent texted me that the idea that the athletes really don't care about regionals is over the top. The evidence he used was actually not that 2018 final but the 2019 OT game where HW defended its title. Newport is playing so well it appears they are on the same track.

Actually with three semifinal games yesterday coming down to the last shot, all teams obviously competed really hard. Really impressive top group this year.

Agree 100 percent that the mentality behind the regionals has completely changed since its inception — similar to the CIF State Swimming championships — athletes and coaches are absolutely giving their all to win these now. The idea that a team would play their underclassmen only is dead and while it may have happened years ago, it isn’t going to happen anymore.

McKlintock
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby McKlintock » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:57 pm

retiredguy wrote:
BayBoy wrote:
GoBears! wrote:
MD 12, HB 11

I'll stick with Newport.

Agree 100 percent that the mentality behind the regionals has completely changed since its inception — similar to the CIF State Swimming championships — athletes and coaches are absolutely giving their all to win these now. The idea that a team would play their underclassmen only is dead and while it may have happened years ago, it isn’t going to happen anymore.

I don't think it is that simple really. I think the boys will play to win when they are in the pool...all of the players are competitive for sure. However, there is definitely a let down after CIFSS. No way are regionals as highly regarded as CIFSS playoffs. Everyone remembers the winner of CIFSS as the champions. After what is ultimately a long season for any team making it to the top 4 of CIFSS, I bet many coaches would prefer not to even have regionals if it isn't a full state championship. All that said, I am sure the game tomorrow will be entertaining and everyone on both sides will be trying to win.

BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - love watching the game, from youth to masters.

Postby BayBoy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:54 pm

Now that the final results are in, this is one of those years where it is really unfortunate not to have the north face the south in a final national championship game. Other sports have solved logistics. This year the top 5 teams are so good, but especially SHP and Newport.

CIF should revisit a state championship.
Last edited by BayBoy on Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:49 am

Newport Harbor puts its final stamp on the season, beating Mater Dei 10-6 in the Regional Final.

So who is the National Champion? Newport lost to Sacred Heart by 1, but beat them by 4. Sacred Heart's other losses were to HW, but they also beat HW, 1 goal difference in each game, same with Mater Dei, they beat them one by 2 and lost to them by 2.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:57 am

GoBears! wrote:Yorba Linda's great season came to an end against REV, 6-8 and Oaks Christian beat Alta Loma 15-10 in the other. This final is a real toss up to me. Oaks has been all over the place this season. I'll pick them anyway.

Oaks Christian ended the year with a nice run and is now Regional Champs as, beating REV 8-7 in the Division II Final.

sbdad wrote:Carpinteria (D5 SS champ) 11 San Diguito Acadamy (SDS D3 champ) 3.
Palisades (city section champ) 11 Long Beach Poly (SS D4 Champ) 10
Carpinteria vs Palisades in Final. (Carp beat Pali by 1 earlier this year). Should be a good game.

Pali High came through in the Division III Finals, beating Carpinteria 9-5.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:13 am

GoBears! wrote:
GoBears! wrote:Yorba Linda's great season came to an end against REV, 6-8 and Oaks Christian beat Alta Loma 15-10 in the other. This final is a real toss up to me. Oaks has been all over the place this season. I'll pick them anyway.

Oaks Christian ended the year with a nice run and is now Regional Champs as, beating REV 8-7 in the Division II Final.

Carpinteria vs Palisades in Final. (Carp beat Pali by 1 earlier this year). Should be a good game.

Oaks won by 1 goal??? Lol

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:04 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
GoBears! wrote:

Tragic!

GoBears!

Postby GoBears! » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
GoBears! wrote:

Tragic!

Has anyone ever seen 2plyBathingSuit and Rbpolo0414 in a room at the same time??

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Postby JackBurton » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:26 pm

GoBears! wrote:Oaks won by 1 goal??? Lol

Tragic![/quote]
Has anyone ever seen 2plyBathingSuit and Rbpolo0414 in a room at the same time??[/quote]

Lol!! No, but I know who RB is and he is not 2ply.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:21 pm

JackBurton wrote:
GoBears! wrote:Oaks won by 1 goal??? Lol

Tragic!

Has anyone ever seen 2plyBathingSuit and Rbpolo0414 in a room at the same time??[/quote]

Lol!! No, but I know who RB is and he is not 2ply.[/quote]

I wish

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:29 pm

GoBears! wrote:Has anyone ever seen 2plyBathingSuit and Rbpolo0414 in a room at the same time??

I wish I was Rb...I am sure he concurs. ;-)

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:13 pm

This serious and very troubling question has to be investigated deeper. Even if we trust Jack Burton and assume that Rb is not 2fly how we can be sure that 2fly is not Rb?
Also, has anybody seen Burton and Rb in the same room?

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 pm

wpolo93 wrote:This serious and very troubling question has to be investigated deeper. Even if we trust Jack Burton and assume that Rb is not 2fly how we can be sure that 2fly is not Rb?

Now wait a minute...misspelling my name once might be considered a typo...but twice, is considered to be on purpose. I'm offended.

I have not seen Jack or Rob in the same room together.

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Postby JackBurton » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 pm

wpolo93 wrote:This serious and very troubling question has to be investigated deeper. Even if we trust Jack Burton and assume that Rb is not 2fly how we can be sure that 2fly is not Rb?

Room together? Nope. We have been in the same pool together.

Return to “High School BOYS”