CIF Regional Water Polo Championships

Boys High School Competition
sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

CIF Regional Water Polo Championships

Postby sbdad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:33 pm

Does anyone care about the regional champs? Some first round games look rough.

https://www.cifstate.org/sports/waterpo ... 2021/index

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: CIF Regional Water Polo Championships

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:46 pm

sbdad wrote:Does anyone care about the regional champs? Some first round games look rough.

Not many will care until they get a true CIF State Championship.

I do not think that many of the coaches or players are that excited to be playing in a Regional Championship after CIF is over.

For now, the CIF Section Championship is every team’s goal.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby WaPoSaD » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:00 pm

I’m confident the players will play hard in-game, but yeah, it’s all a letdown after CIFs. Plus the coaches have like, what, one day of practice to prepare? Trying to motivate either one of the two teams that’s super elated or one of the dozen others whose players are still in active mourning? Good luck with that.

Last year there were some very close games (including but not limited to HW’s one-goal win over San Clemente in the first round), but with the sole exception of the first-day 4/5 pairing, the higher seed won every game. I think we’ll see more close games and a couple more “upsets” this year, but overall, while there will be some great games — and anyone who says the teams won’t try their best during the actual matches doesn’t appreciate the nature of competition — this will definitely not be the tournament that the kids look the most forward to.

Or even close.

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:38 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
sbdad wrote:Does anyone care about the regional champs? Some first round games look rough.

Not many will care until they get a true CIF State Championship.

I do not think that many of the coaches or players are that excited to be playing in a Regional Championship after CIF is over.

For now, the CIF Section Championship is every team’s goal.

I agree. If CIF makes a state championship tournament, then they should rethink the North V South Challenge and the S&R Cup or whatever those tournaments are called as we kinda already know who the state champions are via these tournaments.

I thought it was pretty cool to see a Connecticut team play at the SB Tournament. We need some more of that kind of intra-state competition.

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:39 pm

sbdad wrote:Does anyone care about the regional champs?

No.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:08 am

Not until they do. If Loyola beats HB, do you think it would be no big deal to them?

I think it has little benefit to the Top Seeds/Teams, but the underdogs, it is a chance at redemption.

In the lower divisions, especially DIII, for a lot of these teams, the success is newly found and when you are on a roll, you never want it to stop.

For Newport, HB, HW, Bishop's, MD, etc., they have been hard charging since January in their club teams that ended in the JOs at the end of July and then jumped into their first High School scrimmages about two weeks later. I am sure a lot of the boys would like to skip the regionals.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:20 am

Who can forget the 1st ever inaugural Regional, when Oaks Christian decided not to start (and hardly play) their best players in the final. Yea, that one, Kocur owns. A very fond memory indeed.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:44 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:Who can forget the 1st ever inaugural Regional, when Oaks Christian decided not to start (and hardly play) their best players in the final. Yea, that one, Kocur owns. A very fond memory indeed.

Oh yes. I enjoyed said star players father trying to justify it on this very board. I miss him.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:25 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:Who can forget the 1st ever inaugural Regional, when Oaks Christian decided not to start (and hardly play) their best players in the final. Yea, that one, Kocur owns. A very fond memory indeed.

Well after CIF finals, the season is basically over. I could see some coaches, just telling the seniors, hey guys good luck with the rest of your polo careers but now I'm starting to work on next year's team, and sorry seniors but you won't be playing in the regionas. I bet whoever did play, would bust their a$$ off

JFranpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Water polo scout for USA water polo....ODP program

Postby JFranpolo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:37 pm

The Regional championships are a bit of a letdown, but I remember the games a couple of seasons ago (pre-pandemic) were quite good. I've spoken to a few coaches and they will play many of their younger players more than during the season. It will be a good chance to see a glimpse of the future.

I plan on going to the Newport / La Jolla game. La Jolla has a couple of very good juniors in Finn Buggeli and Kiefer Black. I'm sure La Jolla will be fired up to play Newport.

Unfortunately, we will never have a state championship unless the NorCal girls' season moves to the winter (too cold) or the SoCal girls move to the fall (lack of pool space/officials?) may be the issue. Unfortunately, because of Title IX, a state championship for the boys is highly unlikely.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:23 pm

Fantastic! Let's have all coaches agree to not play their graduating seniors...better yet, make it a rule. That way regionals can be made whole again by making it competitive. I've been suggesting for years now that HS specific club teams "not" play any of their graduating seniors after the fall season ends. Makes for a tough-as-nails HS squad after playing all year together without the distraction of whiny graduating senior parents. Let them form their own team for J.O.'s. The seniors have had their say,...time for them to get out of the way.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:54 pm

All of the favorites won tonight. As expected, the HW/Cathedral Catholic matchup was the most competitive game, with HW winning 16-14. In the other games, Newport beat La Jolla 20-10, HB beat Loyola 20-8, and MD beat Bishop's 16-8.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:24 am

jeff wrote:All of the favorites won tonight. As expected, the HW/Cathedral Catholic matchup was the most competitive game, with HW winning 16-14. In the other games, Newport beat La Jolla 20-10, HB beat Loyola 20-8, and MD beat Bishop's 16-8.

Yea, no surprises...SD "county" simply isn't in the same ballpark as CIF-SS. It would be nice if they were.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:53 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
jeff wrote:All of the favorites won tonight. As expected, the HW/Cathedral Catholic matchup was the most competitive game, with HW winning 16-14. In the other games, Newport beat La Jolla 20-10, HB beat Loyola 20-8, and MD beat Bishop's 16-8.

Yea, no surprises...SD "county" simply isn't in the same ballpark as CIF-SS. It would be nice if they were.

So now we are down to the same 4 teams as last weekend. What should we do. Send the seniors home? Nope let's have the parents play instead. You know, all those parents that know more then the coaches and the refs and who keep yelling at their sons, from the stands as to what to do. Let's have them in the pool......and of course with no refs :D

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:32 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:Fantastic! Let's have all coaches agree to not play their graduating seniors...better yet, make it a rule. That way regionals can be made whole again by making it competitive. I've been suggesting for years now that HS specific club teams "not" play any of their graduating seniors after the fall season ends. Makes for a tough-as-nails HS squad after playing all year together without the distraction of whiny graduating senior parents. Let them form their own team for J.O.'s. The seniors have had their say,...time for them to get out of the way.

You have some super strange ideas. Maybe you never played club water polo. In some cases, kids feel more connected to their club team amd teammates than they do their high school program, especially where the club isn't a single school club.

If I've been playing for Newport (or So Cal,etc) since I was 10 years old why in Hades should I be "banned" from my club when I am still eligible by USA WP rules? When I am 18 and a graduated senior, that might be my best chance to win or medal in the JOs (depending on how high my club has finished before). The CIF Regionals are not a new season, it is the ending of the high school season.

If you are Newport, maybe the seniors want less playing time because they are tired, physically and emotionally, but I guarantee you not a single senior wants to lose to HW or whomever else wins the other side.

Justafan22 wrote:So now we are down to the same 4 teams as last weekend. What should we do. Send the seniors home? Nope let's have the parents play instead. You know, all those parents that know more then the coaches and the refs and who keep yelling at their sons, from the stands as to what to do. Let's have them in the pool......and of course with no refs :D

Same 4 teams, different semi-final games, Newport and HW, MD and HB. These 4 teams don't just "know each other well" as a sportscaster might say, the boys all know each other well and for the most part like each other. No one wants to lose to a friend because then you never hear the end of it. I am looking forward to watching this new mix of semis.

Return to “High School BOYS”