2022 Season

Boys High School Competition
gumby12300
How are you connected to water polo?: coach, i live and breath water polo

2022 Season

Postby gumby12300 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:52 pm

Since there hasn’t been much high school talk for a while now, I’m interested to see who everyone thinks the best teams are going into next fall season.

This is not an official ranking! These are only my thoughts and would love to hear about anything I’m missing.

JSerra

After a strong season in 2021, this is a team that has all the tools to win a CIF title and be the top team in the nation. Being led by mainly juniors and sophomores last season, things understandably look good for the future of this program. Will have good senior leadership out of Gabe Guinane (LH), Drew Vangrin, Mason Presley and Johann Thrall. The 2024 class is loaded with talent with arguably the best center in the JR class in Will Schneider, and of course with the addition of HB transfer Ryder Dodd will make these two a very tough combination to guard. Also in the class of 2024 you have Bode Brinkema who has an absolute cannon, as well as Maddox Arlett and Alex Nguyen to round off the JR squad. Sophomore Colt Bradley looks promising as well. The Lions will have 3 options in the cage with both Jack Farnell (2024) and Jack Helfer returning as well as Servite transfer Joey Kent (2024).

Harvard Westlake

The big question is who is going to replace Brian Flacks? HW certainly has the fire power and numbers to have a shot at a title this fall, but who is going to put all of the pieces together? The incoming senior class is locked and loaded with several returners in Jeff Koretz, Daniel Matsakanian, Jaxson Tierney, Chris Arakelian and Jack Burghardt. LH attacker Dean Strauser (2024) will also be key for the Wolverines and Connor Kim (2025) will see meaningful playing time. Harvard Westlake has two options in the net, Baxter Chelsom and James Peace (2024). Will HW keep its reputation of being one of the top programs in the nation over the next few years? Only time will tell…

Mater Dei

The Monarchs lose a chunk of talent from last season, but return more than enough to stay competitive amongst the top teams in the nation. Carter Loth returns as one of the top centers in the country, Gavin Karnick is a big center that should receive a lot of minutes as a back up 2m player. Juniors Nathan Banos and Alexander Oprea will load up the 4/5 side as formidable lefties. Other player that will look to make an impact are seniors Landon Akerstrom, Jack & Nick Bryant, Charlie McHenry and Chasen Corlett. Nathan Tauscher is one of the best goalies in HS and will be huge in net this fall.

Newport Harbor

After a very successful championship season last fall, the Sailors look to reload and be right back in the CIF title game. Newport will be lead by senior Ben Liechty (LH), the CIF player of the year last fall. Along side him will be seniors Finn Genc, Finn LaSieur and Cooper Mathisrud in cage. Peter Castillo (2024) is one of the better JR centers in HS polo. One interesting part about last season was Newport’s JV team finishing up there with some of the better teams in the country at the south coast tournament. They even beat LB Wilson who had two big time D1 recruits playing for them at the time. A big part of Newport’s success next fall will be how the younger guys play.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2022 Season

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:15 pm

HW would of been the favorite but I don’t think that is the case anymore. If they hire the assistant, it will help. I think Newport and J Serra make the finals.

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:29 pm

Here's what I think all of the teams next year will stack up based on who they lose, incoming freshmen, and transfers, and coaching changes. I will not go indepth for the top 4 since it will just be repeated information.

Top 4
1. JSerra: Jserra seems to be the early favorite, and for good reason. Orsmby has done a wonderful job building a strong team in the short time that he has been there so far. Transfer Ryder Dodd adds firepower to an already very good team.

2. Newport Harbor: Newport always seems to be a good team that plays good team water polo, and with the player of the year and one of the best coaches I think this Newport team can compete for another championship.

3. Harvard-Westlake: With the resignation of Flacks I don't think this team will live up to its potential. Although they still have lots of talent it will be up to the next coach to maximize it.

4. Mater Dei: Although Mater Dei loses a majority of their starters they replace them with lots of capable and talented players. Center Carter Loth and goalie Nathan Tauscher provide a strong foundation for their offense and defense. This team will be one of the deepest and well rounded teams of any in southern section.

The Next Tier

After the top 4 teams in my eyes, it gets increasingly harder to rank the teams and I think the gap between each of these teams is very close.

5. Foothill: With the retirement of Jim Brumm, the success of Foothill could very well depend on the who will take up the reigns. Foothill will have one of the best goalies in the nation in Riley Clansen, along with a supposed transfer or two who I consider one of the best players in his class on top of existing transfers Bronson Birdsall and James Yan who are solid players. They also have junior William Grizwold who is one of the beter players in his age group. Again the success of Foothill will rely on this transfer, their goalie, and who their coach will be next year.

6. Loyola: Loyola is always a competitive team and this year will be no exception. They only lose 2 starters from last year and return William Sanchez an explosive attacker. Erik Healy is one of the best coaches in the country and as long as he is there I do not see Loyola missing the open division. I'm not sure what their goalie position is looking like, so goalie play may be a potential issue.

7. Huntington Beach: Even with the loss of Dodd, I believe that HB is still a top 8 team. They lose a lot of talent, but luckily the Vanguard pipeline is very strong. They will be lead by senior Zach Bettino who will be a top player next year, along with Tas Palcza, Ethan Spoon, Hammonds and goalie Jay Pyle. I expect this team to compete and potentially even upset some better teams as well. With Dodd this would've been a top 4 team easily.

Fringe Open/Division1 Teams

8. Palos Verdes: Palos Verdes has numerous solid players, led by standouts Aiden Olson, and Taj Whitehead I expect them to compete for a spot in the Open Division. One question mark for them would be their depth and goalie play. I also like their coach Zach Graper.

9. Los Alamitos: Similarly to PV, the biggest question for Los Al will be their goalie play and depth. They graduate two starting seniors including Caleb Francisco, but expect Nick Keane a savvy offensive player and his little brother Cole Francisco to step up.

10. Oaks Christian: Oaks Christian was a really young team last year only graduating one senior last year to my knowledge. OC has a very good goalie, and Kocur should be able to have his team make a deep run in the D1 playoffs.

11. Corona Del Mar: CDM graduated virtually no starters from their previous season so I can only expect them to improve. I think they are a year removed from making a serious run at a title in Division 1. Camren Simoncelli is a good center who should have a strong junior year.

12. Orange Lutheran: OLU graduated a number of impactful seniors, the biggest question for them will be goalie play. They will be led by lefty Wade Sherlock and attacker Matthew Mai-Prasarnsuk.

topten
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby topten » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:40 pm

If we add San Diego County to the mix

1 JSerra
2 Harvard Westlake
3 La Jolla
4 Mater Dei
5 Newport Harbor
6 The Bishop's School
7 Foothill
8 Cathedral Catholic
9 Loyola
10 Huntington Beach
11 Palos Verdes
12 Coronado
13 Los Alamitos
14 Oaks Christian
15 Corona Del Mar
16 Orange Lutheran

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 La Jolla (Strong team & play as a team)
Kameron Warren (Goalie), Kiefer Black, Finn Bugelli, Jax Espinosa, West Gartland, Weston Bancroft

# 6 The Bishop's School (very deep roster (Lot's of Seniors) & many planned plays)
Oliver Price (Goalie), Yuto Fraley, Chase Landa, Caspar Lightner, Ethan Marquez, Justin Stone, Jackson Woolfolk, Alexander Zarcu,,,,

#8 Cathedral Catholic (well coached, aggressive, good defense & play as a team)
Gavin Conant, Aiden Day, Maddox Garrahy, Richard Lundh,

#12 Coronado
Maximo Diaz, Thatcher Lytel

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:13 am

OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:Here's what I think all of the teams next year will stack up based on who they lose, incoming freshmen, and transfers, and coaching changes. I will not go indepth for the top 4 since it will just be repeated information.

Top 4
1. JSerra: Jserra seems to be the early favorite, and for good reason. Orsmby has done a wonderful job building a strong team in the short time that he has been there so far. Transfer Ryder Dodd adds firepower to an already very good team.

2. Newport Harbor: Newport always seems to be a good team that plays good team water polo, and with the player of the year and one of the best coaches I think this Newport team can compete for another championship.

3. Harvard-Westlake: With the resignation of Flacks I don't think this team will live up to its potential. Although they still have lots of talent it will be up to the next coach to maximize it.

4. Mater Dei: Although Mater Dei loses a majority of their starters they replace them with lots of capable and talented players. Center Carter Loth and goalie Nathan Tauscher provide a strong foundation for their offense and defense. This team will be one of the deepest and well rounded teams of any in southern section.

The Next Tier

After the top 4 teams in my eyes, it gets increasingly harder to rank the teams and I think the gap between each of these teams is very close.

5. Foothill: With the retirement of Jim Brumm, the success of Foothill could very well depend on the who will take up the reigns. Foothill will have one of the best goalies in the nation in Riley Clansen, along with a supposed transfer or two who I consider one of the best players in his class on top of existing transfers Bronson Birdsall and James Yan who are solid players. They also have junior William Grizwold who is one of the beter players in his age group. Again the success of Foothill will rely on this transfer, their goalie, and who their coach will be next year.

6. Loyola: Loyola is always a competitive team and this year will be no exception. They only lose 2 starters from last year and return William Sanchez an explosive attacker. Erik Healy is one of the best coaches in the country and as long as he is there I do not see Loyola missing the open division. I'm not sure what their goalie position is looking like, so goalie play may be a potential issue.

7. Huntington Beach: Even with the loss of Dodd, I believe that HB is still a top 8 team. They lose a lot of talent, but luckily the Vanguard pipeline is very strong. They will be lead by senior Zach Bettino who will be a top player next year, along with Tas Palcza, Ethan Spoon, Hammonds and goalie Jay Pyle. I expect this team to compete and potentially even upset some better teams as well. With Dodd this would've been a top 4 team easily.

8. Palos Verdes: Palos Verdes has numerous solid players, led by standouts Aiden Olson, and Taj Whitehead I expect them to compete for a spot in the Open Division. One question mark for them would be their depth and goalie play. I also like their coach Zach Graper.

9. Los Alamitos: Similarly to PV, the biggest question for Los Al will be their goalie play and depth. They graduate two starting seniors including Caleb Francisco, but expect Nick Keane a savvy offensive player and his little brother Cole Francisco to step up.

10. Oaks Christian: Oaks Christian was a really young team last year only graduating one senior last year to my knowledge. OC has a very good goalie, and Kocur should be able to have his team make a deep run in the D1 playoffs.

11. Corona Del Mar: CDM graduated virtually no starters from their previous season so I can only expect them to improve. I think they are a year removed from making a serious run at a title in Division 1. Camren Simoncelli is a good center who should have a strong junior year.

12. Orange Lutheran: OLU graduated a number of impactful seniors, the biggest question for them will be goalie play. They will be led by lefty Wade Sherlock and attacker Matthew Mai-Prasarnsuk.

Its in the best interest of some of these schools on your list to find and name their coaches soon.

HW does not want to be loosing potential incoming players to Oaks or even Loyola, because their new coach is not secured yet, or has he/she?

Foothill, not sure why a player would consider transferring in, without knowing who will be the coach. Same situation at Mater Dei, or has coach been named there? Sorry been away on vacay for a while.
THese situations bode well for JSerra right now.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:07 am

J-Serra..(1St place) favorite HS coach by a long shot...will win CIF-SS Div-1 Championship in 2022. HW, still in the mix for now (2nd place?). Mater Dei will no longer be "in the equation'...unless things change....which I doubt will happen. (Third place). Newport?...Ross needs to coach somewhere else. Imo,... simply because I believe he's a good coach...sort of (UCSD) would have been a great move for him. HB...who cares...they never win anyway.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 am

Justafan22 wrote: Foothill, not sure why a player would consider transferring in, without knowing who will be the coach. Same situation at Mater Dei, or has coach been named there? Sorry been away on vacay for a while.

That must have been some "vacay" - Brian Anderson has been the head coach at Mater Dei since fall of 2018.

OCWaterpolofan29

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:00 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:Here's what I think all of the teams next year will stack up based on who they lose, incoming freshmen, and transfers, and coaching changes. I will not go indepth for the top 4 since it will just be repeated information.

Top 4

The Next Tier

Its in the best interest of some of these schools on your list to find and name their coaches soon.

HW does not want to be loosing potential incoming players to Oaks or even Loyola, because their new coach is not secured yet, or has he/she?

Foothill, not sure why a player would consider transferring in, without knowing who will be the coach. Same situation at Mater Dei, or has coach been named there? Sorry been away on vacay for a while.
THese situations bode well for JSerra right now.

Brian Anderson is the coach at Mater Dei for the boys. The girls team for Mater Dei is still looking for a coach. But yes it definitely looks like JSerra’s year.

gumby12300

Postby gumby12300 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:12 pm

Bellarmine

After only losing one key senior to graduation last fall, the Bells are looking for some redemption after losing the past two CCS title matches to SHP. Bellarmine has 2 big centers to choose from in Jacob Backus and Razvan Alistar (2024). Alex Hegeman is a huge presence in the cage and has been for the past few seasons. Returning juniors Phillip Long, Blake Wilson and Tyler Roller will make a big impact in the field. Seniors Ryan Boschken, Chase Barman (LH) and Jackson Boettner (2025) will be key contributers. I feel like a big difference maker will be how the other rising seniors will find a roll on this team.

Sacred Heart Prep

It goes without saying that losing your Stanford bound goalie and a couple of D1 bound field players hurts a lot. However like the water polo factory Sacred Heart is, 2022 is simply put not a rebuilding year but a reloading year for the Gators. As of very recently SHP acquired a huge piece to making everything work, in goalie Murdock Baker-Matsuoka (2026). Jake Tsotadze and Will Swart return as 4 year starters, Harrison Rohlen and Luke Bachler were the first off the bench last fall, and Hassan Hove will provide depth at the 2m position. Rising Juniors Tyler Hogan, Andrew Spencer, Redmond Averbuck and Zane Tanabe will receive big minutes. Nelson Harris (2025) and Oliver Marcin (2026) will also get time off the bench.

De La Salle

Only one key senior graduates from last years team. 2022 could very well be the year the Spartans break through and win Norcal’s. Carsten Peters (LH), Jack Richards, Tyler Laymon and Dominic Brown (LH) bring veteran experience to an already loaded roster. Rising junior Jason Hubbard (LH) saw meaningful playing time last fall. The incoming sophomore class has no shortage of talent, including players like Davidka Skov, Michael Peeff, Breydon Congo, Donovan Swann, Lukas Peters and Jed Johnson. In goal the Spartans have two options, Ben Gronbach and incoming freshmen William Corr. I also heard that a majority if not all Diablo 14U A players are coming to DLS next fall.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:17 pm

OCWaterpolofan29 wrote:Brian Anderson is the coach at Mater Dei for the boys. The girls team for Mater Dei is still looking for a coach. But yes it definitely looks like JSerra’s year.

Why are we talking about the MD girls team on a High School Boys thread?

Btw, the JSerra bandwagon is getting pretty crowded. And yet something tells me most of you haven't really watched them or any of the other top boys teams play much water polo this winter/spring. JFran gave the most accurate snapshot of where things stood a few weeks ago on a different thread, but that was before Flacks took the Stanford job. Long story short - it is still very early and a lot can and will change.

gumby12300

Postby gumby12300 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:04 pm

More NorCal action…

Miramonte

This team peaked at the right time last year, however there’s a good chunk of talent graduating from that season. There is a handful of talent still leftover in players like Charlie and Henry (2024) Engs, who are going to be the main combo on this team to look out for in 2022. Matteo Petty, Oliver Sherwood (2024), Grant Kurtz (2024) and Patrick Stice (2025) are going to be huge contributors for the Matadors next fall. The mystery here is the depth of the Miramonte bench and who the starting goalie will be. May have a slow start to the season but should be battle ready by NCS.

San Ramon Valley

Another public school that always stays in the mix with the top teams from NorCal. Sort of like Miramonte, SRV loses a few players to graduation that made a huge impact on this squad for the past few years. But players like Tim Kerr, Nickey Borden, Daniel Davis and GK Trevor Alamillo stick around to really bring this team up a few notches. A big difference maker will be how the good JV players last year develop. Perhaps a few of the rising seniors will also find their role on the team this year.

Redwood

2014 was the last year Redwood had a break thru season. 2022 may end up being similar if not even better. Yes Redwood has been consistently strong over the past few seasons but this year in particular they have the talent to not only beat Archie Williams (Drake) but also make a case for the NCS title. Rising senior goalie Charlie Mills is arguably the top keeper in NorCal. William Zech returns after scoring over 100 goals his JR season. Other rising seniors Max Matthews and Preston Page played key minutes last season. Redwood is a senior heavy team and will look to go far in NCS, they should have no issues making open division this time around.

JFranpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Water polo scout for USA water polo....ODP program

Postby JFranpolo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:54 pm

topten wrote:If we add San Diego County to the mix

1 JSerra
2 Harvard Westlake
3 La Jolla
4 Mater Dei
5 Newport Harbor
6 The Bishop's School
7 Foothill
8 Cathedral Catholic
9 Loyola
10 Huntington Beach
11 Palos Verdes
12 Coronado
13 Los Alamitos
14 Oaks Christian
15 Corona Del Mar
16 Orange Lutheran

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 La Jolla (Strong team & play as a team)
Kameron Warren (Goalie), Kiefer Black, Finn Bugelli, Jax Espinosa, West Gartland, Weston Bancroft

# 6 The Bishop's School (very deep roster (Lot's of Seniors) & many planned plays)
Oliver Price (Goalie), Yuto Fraley, Chase Landa, Caspar Lightner, Ethan Marquez, Justin Stone, Jackson Woolfolk, Alexander Zarcu,,,,

#8 Cathedral Catholic (well coached, aggressive, good defense & play as a team)
Gavin Conant, Aiden Day, Maddox Garrahy, Richard Lundh,

#12 Coronado
Maximo Diaz, Thatcher Lytel

I believe you're underestimating Newport Harbor. Yes, they lost Gage Verdegaal (very good player), Mason Hunt, Will Fosselman, and Ritchie Rimlinger. But most of their talented players return in Peter Castillo, Ben Liechty, and Finn Genc. Cooper Mathisrud returns in the cage and they have a conveyor belt of players coming up through their pipeline including sophomore Gavin Appledorn. Look for Finn LeSieur, Jack Wright, etc. to step up and be in the Top 3. I do agree that La Jolla and Bishop's will be very good. Cathedral Catholic will be interesting....they lost a lot.

JFranpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Water polo scout for USA water polo....ODP program

Postby JFranpolo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:59 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:J-Serra..(1St place) favorite HS coach by a long shot...will win CIF-SS Div-1 Championship in 2022. HW, still in the mix for now (2nd place?). Mater Dei will no longer be "in the equation'...unless things change....which I doubt will happen. (Third place). Newport?...Ross needs to coach somewhere else. Imo,... simply because I believe he's a good coach...sort of (UCSD) would have been a great move for him. HB...who cares...they never win anyway.

Ross is in a great situation. His club program is humming at all levels and he just won the Open Division Final for both the boys and girls. Newport Harbor will be minimum Top 3 next season and could win it. At this stage JSerra looks to be the favorite based on Futures.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:05 am

JFranpolo wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:J-Serra..(1St place) favorite HS coach by a long shot...will win CIF-SS Div-1 Championship in 2022. HW, still in the mix for now (2nd place?). Mater Dei will no longer be "in the equation'...unless things change....which I doubt will happen. (Third place). Newport?...Ross needs to coach somewhere else. Imo,... simply because I believe he's a good coach...sort of (UCSD) would have been a great move for him. HB...who cares...they never win anyway.

Ross is in a great situation. His club program is humming at all levels and he just won the Open Division Final for both the boys and girls. Newport Harbor will be minimum Top 3 next season and could win it. At this stage JSerra looks to be the favorite based on Futures.

I agree. Newport is my early pick to win it all. They finally got over the hump and have the finals experience that JSerra does not have.

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:21 am

What’s the story at mater Dei? I hear hazing/bullies in the pool. People expelled, kids transferring police involved? is it part of the culture football first then water polo? I see them slipping from grace right into mediocrity. Sad after all segesman achieved.

Return to “High School BOYS”