Class of 2023 Commits

Boys High School Competition
HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Class of 2023 Commits

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:54 pm

Verbal commitments are already making their way to social media, so I'm rolling this out as we may see a few more throughout the summer and going into the Fall.

*New this go around* Around the time of Spring commitments, I was experiencing personal matters so I will include time stamps here for when updates have been made so everyone can keep track - these are fun to do but it's also about highlighting the athletes who are making a big decision so it's important to make sure no one is left out!

Notes:
• The schools are listed alphabetically by School
• The schools are listed alphabetically with an exception for those that are commonly referred to with a different name (e.g. Cal, Navy & Pacific)
• Unless otherwise noted, high schools listed are in California

UPDATED 08/03/2022 at 10:30 AM PST

Image Cal • Div I • MPSF
Carson Peters (De La Salle)

Image Harvard • Div I • NWPC
Jake Tsotadze (Sacred Heart Prep)

Image Navy • Div I • MAWPC
Kiefer Black (La Jolla HS)
William Zech (Redwood HS)

Image Pepperdine • Div I • WCC
Jackson Benners (Orange Lutheran)

Image Princeton • Div I • NWPC
Will Swart (Sacred Heart Prep)

Image Stanford • Div I • MPSF
Gavin West (Sacred Heart Prep)

Image UCLA • Div I • MPSF
Charles Mills (Redwood High School)
Ben Liechty (Newport Harbor HS)

Image USC • Div I • MPSF
Zachary Bettino (Huntington Beach HS)
Last edited by HawkinsPolo4 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LandLubber
How are you connected to water polo?: New fan.

Re: Class of 2023 Commits

Postby LandLubber » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Carson Peters (DeLaSalle/680) to CAL
Charles Mills (SRV/SF) to UCLA

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:01 am

Thanks for posting the information about Carsten Peters and Charlie Mills, LandLubber. Note that Mills is from Redwood High School in the Marin County Athletic League, not San Ramon Valley.

At least one person on this website has indicated that an Orange County goalie would be in UCLA's 2023 recruiting class. Does anyone know if that report is accurate? It would be unusual for Adam Wright to recruit two goalies in the same year.

LandLubber

Postby LandLubber » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:25 am

Ah, Jeff, good catch. My apologies.

I believe Nate Tauscher (Mater Dei) and Riley Clansen (Foothill) are the top goalies in the class of 2023 in Orange County but have not heard anything about either of them.

OCWaterpolofan29
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:02 pm

Ben Liechty (Newport/Newport Harbor)-UCLA

therealwpshady
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Postby therealwpshady » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:40 am

William Zech — Redwood and SF WPC, Navy (verbal)
Gavin West — SHP and Atherton, Stanford (playing gap year in Spain but will graduate 27’ from Stanford)

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 pm

Jake Tsotadze, SHP and Atherton, Harvard
Will Swart, SHP and Atherton, Princeton

OCWaterpolofan29
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby OCWaterpolofan29 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 pm

Zachary Bettino (Huntington Beach, Vanguard) USC

therealwpshady
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Postby therealwpshady » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:50 pm

Jackson Benners — Orange Lutheran and Vanguard Seniors, Pepperdine

PoloParentfor2
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby PoloParentfor2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 am

No Stanford commits yet for 2023 which is unusual for August. (also none on the girl’s side)

Is the ‘Pink Application’ process different this year? Has anyone heard anything on the delay? It really holds up other top schools from moving on recruitment as they wait for Stanford candidates as well.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:41 pm

PoloParentfor2 wrote:No Stanford commits yet for 2023 which is unusual for August. (also none on the girl’s side)

Is the ‘Pink Application’ process different this year? Has anyone heard anything on the delay? It really holds up other top schools from moving on recruitment as they wait for Stanford candidates as well.

When do kids put in their 'pink applications" right after they get their grades in mid june?

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
PoloParentfor2 wrote:No Stanford commits yet for 2023 which is unusual for August. (also none on the girl’s side)

When do kids put in their 'pink applications" right after they get their grades in mid june?

The student-athletes usually get it during the Summer after their Junior Year, then the work has just begun as you can't half [email protected] the application. One fills this out as if their envelope is not Pink, or at least should. Also, I think I remember reading a few years ago that there is a little more time now after the Varsity Blues where there is a background check. Then you have the last-minute hold outs before they commit, delaying the overall announcement.

Then, as we also have commits to the Ivies above, no guarantees. Gotta maintain the academic momentum your Senior year, no coasting, or else that likely letter and pink envelope mean nothing.

PoloParentfor2
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby PoloParentfor2 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm

Great summary of the process and forward looking warning. The key question on the table is timing:

Something is different this year. Usually there is a commit, or two, in June (the first to turn in their applications), more in July, and by August the majority have announced (yes some stragglers happen).

This year for 2023 not ONE Stanford commitment for boys or girls which impacts all the top schools. Wondering if anyone was aware of a process change?

LandLubber

Postby LandLubber » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:00 pm

PoloParentfor2 wrote:Great summary of the process and forward looking warning. The key question on the table is timing:

Something is different this year. Usually there is a commit, or two, in June (the first to turn in their applications), more in July, and by August the majority have announced (yes some stragglers happen).

This year for 2023 not ONE Stanford commitment for boys or girls which impacts all the top schools. Wondering if anyone was aware of a process change?

Yes, colleges are taking more foreigners, grad students and tranfers due to the NCAA rule changes they instituted due to COVID. There are a number of "class of 2023" recruits that will be entering colleges rosters as part of the 2023 recruiting class that are in that situation. In my opinion, this "ripple effect" will be felt for another year or two as well until those that were in college during COVID have moved on. While it is truly disheartening to HS student-athletes from the classes of 2023 and 2024 for sure, you can't blame the colleges for taking advantage of the system and trying to field the most competitive roster they can while they can.

Return to “High School BOYS”