[Tactics] offensive player dips head under water

Comments or Suggestions
Vwgti84
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

[Tactics] offensive player dips head under water

Postby Vwgti84 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:41 pm

I've seen this tactic where a high school player with the ball is being pressed and they dip their head under water still holding ball above water. Then it seems as if they do a spin and surface to get around the defender. What should the defender do in this situation to keep the player in front of them? Is the defender getting burned because they are focusing on the ball and not the offender under water?

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: [Tactics] offensive player dips head under water

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue May 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Vwgti84 wrote:I've seen this tactic where a high school player with the ball is being pressed and they dip their head under water still holding ball above water. Then it seems as if they do a spin and surface to get around the defender. What should the defender do in this situation to keep the player in front of them? Is the defender getting burned because they are focusing on the ball and not the offender under water?

The defender should always have his hips up. The defender only gets burned (turned as you described) if his hips are down.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:36 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Vwgti84 wrote:I've seen this tactic where a high school player with the ball is being pressed and they dip their head under water still holding ball above water. Then it seems as if they do a spin and surface to get around the defender. What should the defender do in this situation to keep the player in front of them? Is the defender getting burned because they are focusing on the ball and not the offender under water?

The defender should always have his hips up. The defender only gets burned (turned as you described) if his hips are down.

What 2py said. I would add that dipping your head under water is a risky endeavor in water polo. Never know what your face might run into.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm

What 2ply and RB said - what is happening is that the offensive player is reaching back with the off-hand and grabbing the defender by the hips or waist, then 'turning' him. This is easier to do when you sort of lay out on your stomach and put your face in the water while holding the ball out in front. Ideally, you want to make the turn with your head up, which means a much quicker move, but putting your head down means you can reach back further.

The way to counter this is to counterspin out of the hold. For a right-handed offensive player, he will use his left hand to grab the left hip. The defender then would rotate clockwise with both hands up (so as not get excluded) and hopefully end up back in front of the offensive player. If he has good legs (but then, his hips shouldn't have been in a position to get grabbed) he might be able to reach out and put the ball under while the offensive player's head is still down. A strong offensive player can get a good hold and may be able to prevent the counter spin, so the better defense is to keep the hips up and not let them get grabbed.

doggone
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby doggone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:53 pm

If turned, all isn't lost.

The player on offense, if at center, after turning the defender, and when he sees the chance to shoot; will sometimes forget the defender is still there, or he's poorly coached and doesn't know any better. And he'll rear back to shoot, bringing the ball right back into the defender's face.

And, so all the defender has to do is reach to the top of the ball, and pick it clean out of the shooter's hand. So, it's usually better to keep the hands up on D, regardless.

I know there's more to this. But, I'd just thought I'd point out this part..

D-man

Postby D-man » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:45 pm

As a referee, if the offensive player "ducks into/under the defensive player" to try and draw the foul, I hold the whistle and if the defender takes the ball away, so be it. The minute the offensive player makes the choice to "duck under", they have given up all consideration from me. They are taking themselves out of the play and are rewarded accordingly, ie a counter the other way...

Return to “General”