Jovan's Replacement(s)

Comments or Suggestions
dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Jovan's Replacement(s)

Postby dadonthedeck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm

One coach, two coach, vet coach, new? Who are the most likely candidates and/or who's your personal favorite?

Polodad

Re: Jovan's Replacement(s)

Postby Polodad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I have always preferred the 2 coach model. Today's rosters are large (except for Stanford), $ available for assistants not so large so the number of assistants will limited. Get a head coach whose attention is not split between the men and women. This is particularly important for the women.

On the women's side, I would think Klatt, Marcelo, and Benson would be high on USC's list. On the men's side, I'm less current, but agree with thoughts in another thread that Graham and Leyson have done well in less well resourced positions. Wolf would probably be in the mix.

hoosierborn
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby hoosierborn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Agree with Graham and Leyson. Wigo has been underwhelming. What has he ever really accomplished?

madone
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, enthusiast

Postby madone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm

should be a short list of people with extended coaching experience and success. It would be wise to NOT install a national team veteran who has not won at high levels. There are is a new generation of good coaches that could be successful with SC and know the players. It's also worth spending time eliminating coaches who do not have strong track records of integrity, fair-play, respect for athletes. Water polo really suffers from insiders getting plum jobs, national team athletes sliding to the front of the line or big names circling through good opportunities. I see the coaches on this last as people who develop athletes well, know the sport and aren't shady. Anyone that hasn't risen through the coaching ranks and spent time with kids probably shouldn't take over this job. If you think the people I listed here shady, just say so because I don't see them that way. Also, their tenures
in the respective schools varies, but they are some of the best. I'm not putting Gavin Arroyo here because he seems like the appropriate successor at Cal. I believe Gavin is a great coach and great person. I don't know coaches on the women's side well enough to have an informed opinion, though I will say that it should be a woman.

My list for the men's side includes:
Dan Leyson
Brian Flacks
Brett Ormsby
Alex Rodriguez
Alex La
Jon Barnea
Chris Lee
Jayson Falitz
Sasa Branisavljevic

Polodad

Postby Polodad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I would be surprised if the Cal job presents itself in the intermediate future. Better add Gavin to the USC list.

madone

Postby madone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm

I don't know kirk's age vs. Gavin's age. You may be right.

Polodad

Postby Polodad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Kirk is in his early 50’s.

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

hoosierborn wrote:Agree with Graham and Leyson. Wigo has been underwhelming. What has he ever really accomplished?

Wigo has accomplished getting his program in trouble with the NCAA. Which, in comparison to Jovan, is child’s play.

If you’re gonna throw a Gaucho name into the hat, it should be Ross Sinclair. The Newport pedigree plays well in Watts.

madone

Postby madone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 am

Ross Sinclair should have been on my list. He is also a very good young coach.

No way that Wigo should be anywhere near the SC job. After getting the Gauchos in trouble, he should also be out of there as well. That's a different thread.

thewpfan
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player/coach now fan

Postby thewpfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:57 pm

If USC is not going to keep Pinta as the HC, I don’t think we should discuss further than Leyson or Gavin should be the next best pick for the HC position. Unless maybe some of the ex-olympians want to test themselves in running high profile college program!

From the Stands

Postby From the Stands » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Why do they have to be an ex-Olympian? In my experience, excelling at playing a game does not correlate to excelling at coaching a game. How many great NFL/NBA/MLB players went on to coach (or manage)? I actually think that is one of the true fallacies of our sport....

The bottom 5 names on madone's list seem extremely far fetched. I would also be surprised if USC went with a coach with no collegiate experience even though I think Flacks is by far the best high school coach right now (since Seges retired). I guess Ormsby and Segesman would fall into this category as well (I know Ormsby did his brief stint and wish it would have worked out as nobody works harder than he does) but they both played on the NT which sets to apart to so many (and I can't say it wouldn't help recruiting). Question on all three would be their interest level. For both Ormsby and Segesman, it would come down to family.

My list:
Gavin Arroyo (Cal guy with some success in unsupported position at lower end school (read more difficult to draw top talent))
Dan Leyson (SC guy and proven winner)
Jack Kocur (voluntary assistant at SC for a year after Pepp, used NT work to set up strong Oaks program)
Alex Rodriguez (would love to see this guy coach collegiately with SC talent, knows polo and everyone in Pipeline from NT work)

And it would definitely become more interesting if the jobs get split as only Gavin and Alex have extended experience with women, with Rodriguez's teams having immense success over the last decade (looking to win his 8th Women's Conference Championship this year in the last 10 I believe).

TCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach, WPP Home Page Contributor

Postby TCoach » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 am

From the Stands wrote:Why do they have to be an ex-Olympian? In my experience, excelling at playing a game does not correlate to excelling at coaching a game.

You are an academic my friend:
“The myopic view of the requisite knowledge for coaching effectiveness may in part explain the high turnover rates of professional and college sport coaches, where research has shown that athletic ability is not correlated with coaching success.” - Côté, J., & Gilbert, W. (2009). An integrative definition of coaching effectiveness and expertise.

An application of knowledge and an application of athleticism may be separate things.

HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Polodad wrote:I have always preferred the 2 coach model. Today's rosters are large (except for Stanford), $ available for assistants not so large so the number of assistants will limited. Get a head coach whose attention is not split between the men and women. This is particularly important for the women.

On the women's side, I would think Klatt, Marcelo, and Benson would be high on USC's list. On the men's side, I'm less current, but agree with thoughts in another thread that Graham and Leyson have done well in less well resourced positions. Wolf would probably be in the mix.

As much as I love James Graham, he's not going anywhere; he really likes UOP but he's also got a contract until 2023 (https://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/w-wpolo/2016-17/releases/20170612rzrqx6)

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 pm

HawkinsPolo4 wrote:
Polodad wrote:I have always preferred the 2 coach model. Today's rosters are large (except for Stanford), $ available for assistants not so large so the number of assistants will limited. Get a head coach whose attention is not split between the men and women. This is particularly important for the women.

As much as I love James Graham, he's not going anywhere; he really likes UOP but he's also got a contract until 2023 (https://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/w-wpolo/2016-17/releases/20170612rzrqx6)

No idea what is in his contract but I doubt it would stop him from leaving

Tempo15
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach, Fan, Student, Motivator

Postby Tempo15 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
HawkinsPolo4 wrote:

No idea what is in his contract but I doubt it would stop him from leaving

Possible, but not sure he would want to leave now. Especially with UoP hosting NCAAs next year.

Return to “General”