UC Admissions Audit

Comments or Suggestions
wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: UC Admissions Audit

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Is there any evidence that any UC school accepted a fraudulent application with fake photos. Did anyone claim to play a sport that didn’t even exist at their high school. Did any UC use a false bio on their website that was actually for a different player on the same high school team? I’d need to see specific details to say that this is anything close to Varsity Blues.

Rbpolo,

I respect your opinions in general but here you fluctuate too much. It is not “less than a zero”, is it?

I do not see a huge difference between playing say a year of JV
and not playing the sport at all. This is splitting hairs. That kid definitely knew that jv level does not translate to Cal varsity level. As for falsifying bios we do not know what was in those bios. Surely one year of JV would have raised an alarm...

I agree that we do not know the full details and, hopefully, we will know more eventually. If Cal coaches did not take bribes - great. This would be the greatest difference.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 am

5150wpdad wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
5150wpdad wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:Glad to see some realizing that this story is less than a zero. It is a rounding error and I don’t care if some connected kids got in. I think any employee of a school should get priority and a free tuition for their kids. The private schools get this right.

The state audit was not a criminal investigation. No search warrants, seizure of electronic email and phone accounts or warrants of financial institutions. The auditor has no peace officer powers. The wrongdoing is the same, someone just didn’t want to dig deep for the evidence and made it regulatory vs criminal.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/dianne-f ... VnVOUuIHMg

There is no comparison between this and Varsity Blues. Certainly nothing criminal. Is it wrong? Probably. In the grand scheme of things, is it a big deal? No. This coming from someone who has a daughter who did not get into The UC schools she applied to. If I knew someone who had connections, I would of asked. If you donate $5m to an Ivy and your kid gets accepted, is that criminal? It happens all the time.

We will never know whether it rose to the Varsity Blues case level. This audit wasn't a criminal case and only scratched the surface. Thou protest too much....I am not sure you actually read the report. Last paragraph is helpful to understand the difference between a sample audit and a full blown criminal case.

"Campus staff falsely designated 22 of these applicants as student‑athlete recruits because of donations from or as favors to well‑connected families. Each campus we reviewed lacked sufficient processes for verifying that the applicants whom coaches identified as student‑athlete recruits actually possessed experience or athletic talent in the sport that they purportedly played."

"In some cases, the campus appeared to admit the applicants in exchange for donations to the athletic department. Figure 3 depicts one of these
cases, in which a UC Berkeley coach facilitated the admission of an applicant as a prospective student athlete, even though the applicant had played
only a single year of the sport in high school and at a low level of competition. After admission, the applicant’s family donated several thousand
dollars to the team. However, the applicant never competed with the team, and the coaches removed the applicant from the team after the
season ended."

"It is unlikely that the 22 applicants we found represent the true number of applicants whom coaches falsely identified as prospective student
athletes to gain the applicant’s admission because of their connections to donors or influential individuals. First, we reviewed athletes for only
a fraction of the athletic teams at each of the campuses. Further, even among those teams, we identified more than 400 athletes who did
not appear on their teams’ rosters for more than their first year at that campus—indicating they stopped participating in that sport. Among
that group were several athletes who had questionable circumstances surrounding their admission whom we did not count in our total of inappropriate admissions."

There is nothing stopping a prosecutor from opening a criminal case. So I guess I’ll wait for that to happen since it’s so obvious the law was broken

5150wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Son plays.

Postby 5150wpdad » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
5150wpdad wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
5150wpdad wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:Glad to see some realizing that this story is less than a zero. It is a rounding error and I don’t care if some connected kids got in. I think any employee of a school should get priority and a free tuition for their kids. The private schools get this right.

The state audit was not a criminal investigation. No search warrants, seizure of electronic email and phone accounts or warrants of financial institutions. The auditor has no peace officer powers. The wrongdoing is the same, someone just didn’t want to dig deep for the evidence and made it regulatory vs criminal.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/dianne-f ... VnVOUuIHMg

There is no comparison between this and Varsity Blues. Certainly nothing criminal. Is it wrong? Probably. In the grand scheme of things, is it a big deal? No. This coming from someone who has a daughter who did not get into The UC schools she applied to. If I knew someone who had connections, I would of asked. If you donate $5m to an Ivy and your kid gets accepted, is that criminal? It happens all the time.

We will never know whether it rose to the Varsity Blues case level. This audit wasn't a criminal case and only scratched the surface. Thou protest too much....I am not sure you actually read the report. Last paragraph is helpful to understand the difference between a sample audit and a full blown criminal case.

"Campus staff falsely designated 22 of these applicants as student‑athlete recruits because of donations from or as favors to well‑connected families. Each campus we reviewed lacked sufficient processes for verifying that the applicants whom coaches identified as student‑athlete recruits actually possessed experience or athletic talent in the sport that they purportedly played."

"In some cases, the campus appeared to admit the applicants in exchange for donations to the athletic department. Figure 3 depicts one of these
cases, in which a UC Berkeley coach facilitated the admission of an applicant as a prospective student athlete, even though the applicant had played
only a single year of the sport in high school and at a low level of competition. After admission, the applicant’s family donated several thousand
dollars to the team. However, the applicant never competed with the team, and the coaches removed the applicant from the team after the
season ended."

"It is unlikely that the 22 applicants we found represent the true number of applicants whom coaches falsely identified as prospective student
athletes to gain the applicant’s admission because of their connections to donors or influential individuals. First, we reviewed athletes for only
a fraction of the athletic teams at each of the campuses. Further, even among those teams, we identified more than 400 athletes who did
not appear on their teams’ rosters for more than their first year at that campus—indicating they stopped participating in that sport. Among
that group were several athletes who had questionable circumstances surrounding their admission whom we did not count in our total of inappropriate admissions."

There is nothing stopping a prosecutor from opening a criminal case. So I guess I’ll wait for that to happen since it’s so obvious the law was broken

Sarcasm noted, but really no need. Our public institutions and great UC administrators are steadfast at work to rectify the minor issues identified!!! Whala! Public confidence restored!!! lol...

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:57 pm

5150wpdad wrote:Sarcasm noted, but really no need. Our public institutions and great UC administrators are steadfast at work to rectify the minor issues identified!!! Whala! Public confidence restored!!! lol...

I will have confidence in the system when deserving and highly qualified minorities are not denied admission to UC schools because "we already have too many of them" in favor of less qualified minorities that are granted admission to UC schools because "we need of them".

desertbeachkid
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby desertbeachkid » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 pm

Tagging an application of an unqualified recruit and then getting a donation to the program/school after being admitted is not criminal. Sleazy? Yes. Not how the system is supposed to work? Yes. But this happens all the time both in athletics and outside of athletics. Varsity Blues was about straight up bribes that enriched individuals. Every university in this country admits donor/legacy children with an unspoken understanding that a gift will follow. It's how the fundraising game is played. My issue with the system is that given the cuts we are seeing to athletic programs, coaches are going to feel more and more pressure to do this type of sketchy "fundraising" to protect their programs, using slots that were intended for true athletes as fundraising opportunities instead.

Return to “General”