New USAWP website

Whats new on Water Polo Planet and where you can find it
oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

New USAWP website

Postby oldtimer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:34 pm

Has anyone logged in to the new website and tried to do anything? Either my credentials for admin hasn't been propagated, or the new site is seriously lacking in functionality compared to the old site.

I have tried looking up event/tournament info, and there is nothing there. When I do enter tournaments, sometimes players from other clubs will play with us, and it appears that the member database lookup has been removed so I can't find their membership numbers to put on to a roster. Perhaps the rostering feature will appear when I have been named an admin, or when a tournament is added - but right now there isn't one.

Not sure what to think at this point...

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Re: New USAWP website

Postby JackBurton » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:00 am

Oh wow, you're right this sucks. I went to do a simple search and I can't tell if I was looking at someone in my club or another club.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:16 pm

I'm curious how others view this 'improved' website now that you've had to, perhaps, get rosters filled out for a tournament.

My impression is that someone made a financial decision to switch their solution provider, but didn't actually do the DD to determine if this new company had any idea about how this business operates. As a software architect and developer of 45 years, one of the cardinal rules of developing a solution for a specific company is that you perform in-depth analysis of their process, then design a solution that fits their exact needs. It's expensive, but it makes for a much more pleasant customer experience.

It seems to me that some sales person convinced some executive that they could 'do it cheaper', because these days its all about cookie-cutter solutions across an industry. "Sure, we can do a membership and event website! We have done hundreds!".

When I asked why this was done, the answer was "this isn't the final product". Well, I certainly hope not. But the real question is "Why did you implement it when it was only half done?". Who does that, unless it is a financial issue? Why didn't the company doing the work understand what the needs were? Why couldn't the implementation have been pushed back until the product is complete?

Sorry to be a whiner, but this is a painful process compared to what they had previously. It's hard to look up even your own members, it doesn't give you any option to look up members of other clubs that might be playing on your team, it doesn't alert you if a member needs to complete a specific item (you have to drill down for each member to see their status). And there is no rostering at all.

On first blush, it seems someone made a very bad decision, and I can only believe it was financial in nature. But, perhaps I protest too much...

DinsdalePiranha
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:03 am

I know this is not a surprise to you, but they don’t care about you or how difficult it is for you to organize your team, they only care about you paying your dues. Why would they, they seemed to have weathered the storm of a sexual abuse scandal, and they fail at their primary mission of growing the game and achieving Olympics success in the men’s team, not to mention the lack of financial support for the national team and nothing happens, The CEO gets to keep his cushy $400k job, The board / politburo is inept or powerless or complicit.

Your passion for the game is clear from the longevity of your involvement and your posts, Someday I’m hoping that one of you decides they’ve had enough of this ridiculous ineptness, organizes a revolt and throw the bums out, let me know when you want to get going and I’ll be right there with you
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:38 am

DinsdalePiranha wrote:I know this is not a surprise to you, but they don’t care about you or how difficult it is for you to organize your team, they only care about you paying your dues. Why would they, they seemed to have weathered the storm of a sexual abuse scandal, and they fail at their primary mission of growing the game and achieving Olympics success in the men’s team, not to mention the lack of financial support for the national team and nothing happens, The CEO gets to keep his cushy $400k job, The board / politburo is inept or powerless or complicit.

Your passion for the game is clear from the longevity of your involvement and your posts, Someday I’m hoping that one of you decides they’ve had enough of this ridiculous ineptness, organizes a revolt and throw the bums out, let me know when you want to get going and I’ll be right there with you

I'm on board. I've been a naysayer of USAWP for years, especially at the SNT level for years now! I have never given money to USAWP other than what is "absolutely" necessary for club polo membership. Ivory Towers never go on WPP...I can assure you.

Balicious
How are you connected to water polo?: Angry Dad of 5 polo players

Postby Balicious » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:38 am

The website is a disaster.

They are turning to Google
Docs and excel to make rosters.
The old way to make rosters is no longer available, making the work for admin and coaches even Harder.
Back 2 school tournament was a waste of time trying to make rosters.
Also no way for players to print their IDs.

People should be fired for this.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Balicious wrote:The website is a disaster.

They are turning to Google
Docs and excel to make rosters.
The old way to make rosters is no longer available, making the work for admin and coaches even Harder.
Back 2 school tournament was a waste of time trying to make rosters.
Also no way for players to print their IDs.

People should be fired for this.

But wait, this is the "new and improved" website :lol:

seriously, before you launch something like this, you need to have a certain target group start playing and using it, to see what issues you have, and comment back to the website creator and keep working on it. Then maybe expand it to more people to give feedback. Once you seem to have most of the suggestions put in place, then you go ahead and launch it, to everybody. The other website seemed to work pretty goood, so there should have not been any super hurry to shut it down and launch this one. You can have two websites, but not let the public know about the new one yet, and just work out the kinks first

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Postby sbdad » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:58 pm

it is very confusing, you can print your id, go to the members page. click on "current", then hit "resend membership email" it sends you pdf card but does not include your photo. :lol: Very hard to help new WP parents prepare for their athletes first game!

Glowstyxx
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two youth athletes

Postby Glowstyxx » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:01 pm

Am I the only one who can’t see any events/tournaments on the new and “improved” site? I emailed the USAWP POC who said that, once the tournaments have been added to the new site, they will appear. That was 3 weeks ago and they still don’t show for me. Am I missing something or is there no way to view the calendar of tournaments?

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 am

Glowstyxx wrote:Am I the only one who can’t see any events/tournaments on the new and “improved” site? I emailed the USAWP POC who said that, once the tournaments have been added to the new site, they will appear. That was 3 weeks ago and they still don’t show for me. Am I missing something or is there no way to view the calendar of tournaments?

Same here. Can't see tournaments or leagues. I have to renew my safe sport training and it keeps telling me 'sorry something went wrong, please try again" I am now past due and expired on my certification.

The only thing that seems to work good, is anything to do with ODP, since that's their main moneymaker

Return to “New News and Posts”