Competing interests? USAWP Foundation and USAWP, Inc

Whats new on Water Polo Planet and where you can find it
Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Competing interests? USAWP Foundation and USAWP, Inc

Postby Horse585 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:22 am

I’m curious about the relationship between USAWP Foundation and USAWP, Inc.

The Foundation is fundraising and competing for $ that I’m sure Inc. would rather have in their coffers to balance their budget.

https://gofund.me/945f582b

Perhaps the Foundation has the flexibility to develop innovative career pathways and increase stipends for national team athletes rather than sit on a corpus and crowdfund for what is pennies at the end of the day.

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Re: Competing interests? USAWP Foundation and USAWP, Inc

Postby sbdad » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:28 pm

This looks to be founded by the people hoping to replace Ramsey as CEO.

Horse585

Postby Horse585 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:03 pm

It was founded with proceeds from the 1984 LA Olympics.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:02 pm

There are old threads about this, some of which got nasty. I seem to recall that an audit of USAWP's finances raised questions about how the Foundation was run and whether it should be considered part of USAWP's finances. Something might not have been quite right, but whether the problems were with USAWP, the Foundation, neither or both was hard for an outsider to tell. There were clearly strong opinions on both sides.

Horse585

Postby Horse585 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:51 pm

Ah, thanks. I just found an old thread. And I had even commented on it. SMH

In theory, as the audit notes, USAWP should have fiscal oversight of these funds. The Foundation leverages what I assume to be copyrighted or proprietary assets that belong to USAWP as the official NGO.

In practice, there’s obviously a rogue element to Foundation’s board leadership that’s unwilling to relinquish some political and social capital to push their splintered though well-intentioned agenda forward through their Foundation initiatives. Direct assistance to athletes is noble, but does it conflict with USOPC guidelines? Perhaps so.

The Foundation exists because USAWP Inc exists, not the other way around.

Overlapping governance might be a way to mend these fences. And, obviously, a leadership change at “Inc” could accelerate this consolidation of resources. In the meantime, diplomacy hasn’t been the strength of Inc., hence, messiness ensues. A lawsuit could correct this inefficiency but it brings costly PR and legal fees to settle. Inc. isnt in a position to tackle this in a year of declining revenues and other litigation for poor execution on athlete safety protocols.

Return to “New News and Posts”