Serbia Beats Spain in a barn burner.

International Water Polo
ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Serbia Beats Spain in a barn burner.

Postby ephpolo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:15 am

If you haven't been following the Euro Champs, you've missed some great water polo. Spain beat Italy by a goal in one semifinal--maybe the best game of the tournament. Serbia beat Croatia by 2 goals in the other semi, though the game wasn't really that close.

Croatia beat Italy 10-8 for the bronze. Great final between Spain and Serbia came down to shoot out, and Serbia won.

A series of penalty shots is a terrible way to decide a game. Bring back overtime!

Other than that, a great tournament.

Games are available here https://www.dailymotion.com/lentv

On the theme of "Euros play more quality water polo to develop quality players and teams", the US, Australia, and Japan have nothing like the Euro champs to give our team a series of quality games that matter against good competition.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: Serbia Beats Spain in a barn burner.

Postby wpolo93 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:12 pm

The biggest surprise is Hungary playing so poorly. The finished 8th, losing to Russia 8:9. They have not finished that low for a long time.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Don't disagree about Hungary, but I think Spain making the final and tying Serbia after 4 quarters is just as surprising. I'd have put money on Spain to take the game in an overtime. Deciding the game by shootout really favors a team of big shooters like Serbia.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:24 am

Spain is a very decent team and they played at home in Barcelona. Most players on the Spanish NT play for
CN Atletic-Barceloneta if I am not mistaken.

Return to “General International Water Polo”