US players playing professionally overseas

International Water Polo
wplover
How are you connected to water polo?: fan. parent

US players playing professionally overseas

Postby wplover » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:00 pm

It looks like tons of players are headed to overseas to play professionally this next season. It seems like it's become much more common, even if you don't have a tie to the country you're playing for.

Anyone have a list or a way to track the rosters?

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Re: US players playing professionally overseas

Postby Pacificblue » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Yes, there does seem to be several players playing overseas this year. Which is a good thing, although I'm not sure when they have to be back in the US for full-time training with the National Team. There's no way the US will be able to complete a full European season and train with the National Team with an eye on making the cut for Tokyo, so I'm assuming many of the US players will be coming home early from Europe.

Doubt there is an official list of which Americans are playing overseas (maybe USA Water Polo has one somewhere), but info can be sort of pieced together by word of mouth and Google. Most of the top US players have social media accounts, so you can also glean some info there.

That said, these are the US players that I believe are currently playing overseas. I'm sure there are a few other that I missed...

Alex Bowen (Croatia)
Max Irving (Greece)
Chancellor Rameriz (Serbia)
Matt Farmer (Spain)
Duncan Lynde (Italy)

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Bowen will have quality teammates at Mladost.
Obviously Milos Cuk, one of the best in the world. Has a wicked shot. Many here know Milos Lovre for playing at UCI. Antonio Petkovic. Cosmic Radu is getting older but he is still there. Kharkov is somewhat inexperienced but he is a good player. Quite a few others. My guess is that Mladost and Bowen will play in the LEN Champions League Final 8 this season. Good for him!

What happened to Cupido at Pro Recco? Not that they need him but I hoped he could stick around, especially with Italian passport.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 pm

wpolo93 wrote:Bowen will have quality teammates at Mladost.
Obviously Milos Cuk, one of the best in the world. Has a wicked shot. Many here know Milos Lovre for playing at UCI. Antonio Petkovic. Cosmic Radu is getting older but he is still there. Kharkov is somewhat inexperienced but he is a good player. Quite a few others. My guess is that Mladost and Bowen will play in the LEN Champions League Final 8 this season. Good for him!

What happened to Cupido at Pro Recco? Not that they need him but I hoped he could stick around, especially with Italian passport.

Translated from an April 9, 2019 posting from Pro Recco's website...

"The paths of Luca Cupido and Pro Recco have separated: the player who was born in Santa Margherita, arrived in January to play for the white and light blue, must now return to the United States for personal reasons. The Club thanks Luca and wish him the best fortunes for his professional future."

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Return to “General International Water Polo”