Illegal Sub

Referee Issues moderated by WPP's Righteous Referee

Moderator: Righteous Referee

H20poloMom2
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Illegal Sub

Postby H20poloMom2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 pm

In a game today at the JO - the referee whistled to start play after a goal, but before the ball was thrown back, the defending coach had a player jump in the water for a substitution. He had already had two other players sub when the teams were lining up. Is this an illegal substitution with a red card or 5 meter? The refs on the opposite side of the pool blew his whistle to stop play and allow the substitution. I thought once the whistle to start that ended substitution.

Unknown
How are you connected to water polo?: ***

Re: Illegal Sub

Postby Unknown » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:05 am

Typically if the coach is subbing after a goal, the ref will allow the sub even if the other ref blew a whistle a second before that. I have seen that dozen times and it was never called illegal substitution. Most times the ball is called out and players reset at half. In my opinion that is the correct way to handle the situation, because it makes not one bit of a difference or allows any kind of advantage. On the other hand when a player goes in early after a kickout or a sub goes in before the excluded player gets in the box, it is almost always called. Again, it my opinion that situation SHOULD be called, because it can create illegal advantage for the defensive team.

Alan Cima

Postby Alan Cima » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:11 am

The referee should not restart the game until the coaches have finished substituting, so it sounds like in this case a simple administrative error occurred that can be corrected by another restart.

If the ref felt that the coach was messing with them or intentionally trying to drag out the duration of the after goal break then the yellow/red card could be applied, but there should still be another restart.

Only the immature or vindictive ref would call the penalty in this case.

Russ Thompson

Postby Russ Thompson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:43 am

@ Alan,... I could not agree more. It is a simple restart, substitution issue and anyone that makes a big deal of this has much to learn.

sidelineview

Postby sidelineview » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I would add that the savvy official would provide a polite reminder that (if the substitution was late) a , "Sub please" will make all the difference moving forward.

Apghrenegade
How are you connected to water polo?: Active player in open and masters tournaments; part time shooting coach; players mentor and advocate; author of a shooting clinic; 37 years playing experience spanning east coast USA, southern California, and europe; pro bono efforts for USA WP

Postby Apghrenegade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 am

I was red carded out of a key game in 45 + Masters Nationals in 2014 at Heritage Irvine on exactly this call, late in the first quarter. It was a restart after a goal, I was a slightly last minute decision by our coach to be subbed in, one of the officials decided to get technical, and red carded me/our team for illegal sub. As mentioned, there was no advantage coming to us by me subbing slightly late...just a 5 or 10 second delay to restart again, lined up at half tank. As a result of the call....our opponent did achieve an advantage...one motivated performing attacker out for most of the game. Wish I had got the name of the ref that made that call. It's the sort of thing that is in the rule book but should never be called.

Russ Thompson

Postby Russ Thompson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Apghrenegade wrote:I was red carded out of a key game in 45 + Masters Nationals in 2014 at Heritage Irvine on exactly this call, late in the first quarter. It was a restart after a goal, I was a slightly last minute decision by our coach to be subbed in, one of the officials decided to get technical, and red carded me/our team for illegal sub. As mentioned, there was no advantage coming to us by me subbing slightly late...just a 5 or 10 second delay to restart again, lined up at half tank. As a result of the call....our opponent did achieve an advantage...one motivated performing attacker out for most of the game. Wish I had got the name of the ref that made that call. It's the sort of thing that is in the rule book but should never be called.

The ref was an ultra maroon!

sidelineview

Postby sidelineview » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:24 pm

A nim-cow-poop...

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:23 pm

What an ignoranimus!

Return to “The Quicker Kicker Outer”