I have never seen this...ideas?

Referee Issues moderated by WPP's Righteous Referee

Moderator: Righteous Referee

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Re: I have never seen this...ideas?

Postby oldtimer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:18 am

As a follow up, I must add that when Doru gives an explanation about a call it is *always* in the context of what the rules indicate and why it applies. Unlike, for example, GoBears!, who seems to think you need to learn the secret handshake and be issued the decoder ring.

veritas137
How are you connected to water polo?: parent/player

Postby veritas137 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:30 am

Doru, why would the player be excluded for the rest of the game? Would it not just be marked down as a second exclusion?

Doru Roll
How are you connected to water polo?: player, fan, referee

Postby Doru Roll » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:24 pm

veritas137 wrote:Doru, why would the player be excluded for the rest of the game? Would it not just be marked down as a second exclusion?
My bad, I misread the description in the original post. You are right: it should be just another exclusion, not game exclusion.

thesupernuge
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach etc

Postby thesupernuge » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 pm

oldtimer wrote:As a follow up, I must add that when Doru gives an explanation about a call it is *always* in the context of what the rules indicate and why it applies. Unlike, for example, GoBears!, who seems to think you need to learn the secret handshake and be issued the decoder ring.

:lol:

tomj
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a age group and high school referee in Southern California.

Postby tomj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Doru Roll wrote:This is pretty clear and has nothing to do with any obscure interpretations of WP7.3. The attacking team had advantage and the player who entered early didn't take it away. The goal is kept. If the player entered early because (s)he was mistakenly waved in early by the desk, there is nothing more to do. If (s)he entered without being mistakenly waved in by the desk then (s)he is excluded for the rest of the game. No penalty is awarded since a probable goal was not prevented. That's about all. The referees "over-thank" advantage and messed it up.

I agree that as described, the referee should wait (briefly) for the outcome of the play before blowing the whistle. If the goal is scored, no call for illegal re-entry. If the goal is not scored, stop the game and call the the illegal entry. I don't think that we can both allow the goal to count AND penalize the player for illegal re-entry.

Also .. illegal re-entry does not result in a game exclusion. Under WP 22.6, an 8th/ineligible player is given a game exclusion in addition to the penalty. WP 21.16, however, specifically deals with illegal re-entry of the excluded player or substitute, and does not include a game exclusion. It should be applied as it speaks to the specific situation.

One other note .. if a coach is clearly sending the player in early for that reason, whether the illegal entry is called or not, the coach gets a card for disrespectful behavior.

Return to “The Quicker Kicker Outer”