Clock for Ditching and Goalie Throw Question

Referee Issues moderated by WPP's Righteous Referee

Moderator: Righteous Referee

74hc
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Clock for Ditching and Goalie Throw Question

Postby 74hc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:58 pm

A couple of questions:

1- Does the clock stop when an offensive player ditches the ball in the corner until an opposing player touches the ball?

This is when the ref has signaled possession to the defending team. Some refs blow their whistle, while some don't from what I've noticed. I"ve also noticed that refs don't want to stop the clock if the game is lopsided. We're even told to not stop it once a team reaches a certain point spread (usually 11 goals over the other team). For USAWP club games, it's common but I don't recall being asked to do so in a high school game although the refs seem to want to get the game over like it was.

2- On the goalie throw from a previous out of bounds shot, does the game clock and shot clock start immediately when the goalie touches the ball after another has been throw in, or should it be treated as a free throw from an ordinary foul?

Thanks. Learning to be a timekeeper because, well, no one else wants to volunteer for it unlike the gamelog which is what I normally do in the past couple of years.

This is high school games, and NHFS rules btw.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Re: Clock for Ditching and Goalie Throw Question

Postby GoBears! » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm

74hc wrote:A couple of questions:

1- Does the clock stop when an offensive player ditches the ball in the corner until an opposing player touches the ball?

Yes, by the rules. But if a game is lopsided and the ref asks you to run the clock, I would.

74hc wrote:2- On the goalie throw from a previous out of bounds shot, does the game clock and shot clock start immediately when the goalie touches the ball after another has been throw in, or should it be treated as a free throw from an ordinary foul?

As I understand the question, the clock should start when the ball is put into play just like a free throw after an ordinary.

74hc wrote:Thanks. Learning to be a timekeeper because, well, no one else wants to volunteer for it unlike the gamelog which is what I normally do in the past couple of years.

I commend you for a) jumping in to help and b) wanting to know the actual rule.

Just follow the referee's instructions. If anyone questions you, refer them to the referee.

Return to “The Quicker Kicker Outer”