2X overtime? CCS

Referee Issues moderated by WPP's Righteous Referee

Moderator: Righteous Referee

Thesita

2X overtime? CCS

Postby Thesita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:19 am

High school CCS-

2X overtime? Is it a correct report that high school has changed to 2X overtime for CIF?

I thought you go into overtime that includes 2 overtime quarters no matter what?

Is this an incorrect news report? It clearly said 2nd OT?

Does the CCS have a 2X/ 2nd OT?

Thanks guys.

Thesita

Re: 2X overtime? CCS

Postby Thesita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 am

"2OT"

Thought I would show the quote just in case I am mis reading this.

Thesita

Postby Thesita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:39 am

"Team A, Team B, 2OT" That was the news report.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 am

Unless I have missed something, HS water polo rules are uniform throughout the country. Tournaments may alter some rules, but from what I understand the 1st overtime is two 3-minute periods, and all subsequent overtimes are single 'sudden victory' overtimes. I watched a game (last year, I think) that had at least 4 overtimes (5 periods, I believe) before a team finally won. I don't remember the exact number - it was a looooong game.

Allen Lorentzen
How are you connected to water polo?: Referee, fan, past Coastal Zone head referee, past WPA instructor, masters player, past coach, occasional water polo photographer

Postby Allen Lorentzen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 am

NFHS rules provide for two three-minute overtime periods. The second three-minute period is played even if one team is ahead after the first. If still tied after two then aditional three-minute periods are played until one team scores. Sudden victory! Those are the official rules though tournaments may use different formats.

sidelineview

Postby sidelineview » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:54 pm

X
Last edited by sidelineview on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidelineview

Postby sidelineview » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Keep in mind that water polo's definition of OT (NCAA, HS) requires two overtime periods. Meanwhile most US sports start at one overtime period (e.g., basketball). So when a US newspaper sports editor sees a water polo box score that includes the standard two OT periods, the editor defaults to the more familiar assumption that the game ran for "2OT".

For those parents new to the sport... NCAA and HS water polo typically require 2 overtime periods so that the teams have an opportunity to play at both ends of the pool (important with outdoor pools - weather, sun, etc.), as well as play at least one period with each referee as the attack ref and/or perimeter ref. HS rules allow for in-season tournaments to alter OT rules and the time for each period (including the first 4 quarters) can be shortened. NCAA does not allow for any rule modifications.

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby WaPoSaD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Super informative, sidelineview. Especially the policy background for the rule. Thanks.

thesupernuge
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach etc

Postby thesupernuge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am

sidelineview wrote:Keep in mind that water polo's definition of OT (NCAA, HS) requires two overtime periods. Meanwhile most US sports start at one overtime period (e.g., basketball). So when a US newspaper sports editor sees a water polo box score that includes the standard two OT periods, the editor defaults to the more familiar assumption that the game ran for "2OT".

For those parents new to the sport... NCAA and HS water polo typically require 2 overtime periods so that the teams have an opportunity to play at both ends of the pool (important with outdoor pools - weather, sun, etc.), as well as play at least one period with each referee as the attack ref and/or perimeter ref. HS rules allow for in-season tournaments to alter OT rules and the time for each period (including the first 4 quarters) can be shortened. NCAA does not allow for any rule modifications.

Great clarification!

Return to “The Quicker Kicker Outer”