Just a Little Help

Referee Issues moderated by WPP's Righteous Referee

Moderator: Righteous Referee

NoviceWPDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Just a Little Help

Postby NoviceWPDad » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Trying to make sure I understand the rules on two items. Any explanation or reference to where I can find the answer is appreciated.

1) On a shot at the end of the period or end of a shot clock, does the ball have to be released by the shooter before the clock expires (similar to basketball), or is the rule that the shooter just has to have started the shooting motion at the time the clock expires? I always assumed it was the former, but a game this week has me questioning exactly what the rule is.

2) Is there an actual rule against simulating of a foul? If so, is it an ordinary foul or an exclusion?

Thanks.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Re: Just a Little Help

Postby ephpolo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

(1) The ball must be released before time expires.
(2) Simulation is an exclusion foul in the NCAA rulebook. This is a new rule. I am not sure if FINA or highschool have adopted this rule. It's very rarely called in the games I have watched or officiated since the change was made. I think I called it once in the last year.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 am

ephpolo wrote:(2) Simulation is an exclusion foul in the NCAA rulebook. This is a new rule. I am not sure if FINA or highschool have adopted this rule. It's very rarely called in the games I have watched or officiated since the change was made. I think I called it once in the last year.

It is an ordinary under FINA rule 20.17. I don't think there is a foul for simulation in NFHS.

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby WaPoSaD » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:31 am

For whatever it’s worth, I saw simulation called twice, in two different games, at the Memorial Cup last weekend (and by two different refs). So if it’s not in the high school rule book de jure, it is de facto.

Addendum: And, after looking it up, it seems like it’s actually written down. New NFHS Rule 7-12-6.
See https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-co ... s-2018-20/

Return to “The Quicker Kicker Outer”