2022 Women's College Draft

Womens College Water Polo
jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Re: 2022 Women's College Draft

Postby jeff » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 pm

Team 5: A Balanced Attack

Team 5 is a joint effort between Jeff and oldschoolpolofan.

5. Kitty Lynn Joustra, center, Cal. A strong and physical center, Joustra played for the Netherlands at the Toyko Olympics and is a 3x college All-American (honorable mention in 2018, 1st team in 2019, and 2nd team in 2021). Joustra didn't play for Cal in 2020 because she was training for the Olympics. Joustra missed the first part of the 2021 season, but she scored 27 goals in Cal's last 12 games.

6. Ryann Neushul, attacker, Stanford. Neushul, from one of America's greatest water polo families, didn't play for Stanford in 2020 and 2021 because she is a member of the senior national team and was training for the Olympics. In her freshman year at Stanford in 2019, Neushul scored the game-winning goal in the NCAA championship game, was a 3rd team All-American, and was the MPSF newcomer of the year. Neushul, a versatile player, will probably be on the 2024 Olympic team.

15. Georgia Phillips, goalie, UCLA. Last season, Phillips shared time with Jahmea Bent. Bent decided not to play another year. Phillips should get most of the meaningful playing time at goalie for UCLA this year and has a high ceiling. She was an honorable mention All-American in 2020.

16. Val Ayala, attacker, UCLA. Ayala is a 3x All-American (honorable mention in 2019, 2nd team in 2020, and 3rd team in 2021).

25. Hannah Palmer, attacker, UCLA. Palmer, a junior, was a 2nd team All-American and UCLA's leading scorer in 2021. In 2020, she was named to the MPSF all-newcomer team.

26. Grace Tehaney, LH attacker, USC. Tehaney, a senior, is an NCAA champion and a 2x All-American (3rd team in 2020 and honorable mention in 2021).

35. Katrina Drake, 2MD/attacker, UCLA. Drake played with Grace Tehaney on Miramonte's undefeated 2017 team. Drake has good length and is one of the fastest players in the country. She can play 2MD and attacker and was an honorable mention All-American in 2020.

36. Maureen Cole, coach, Hawaii. It's good to get some diversity in our coaching ranks. Cole played at Punahou High School for Ken Smith (one of America's greatest high school coaches) and for Guy Baker and Adam Krikorian at UCLA (her UCLA teams won two of the first three NCAA championships). Cole's Hawaii teams are always competitive.

When you make your last selection, please answer the questions posed in the first paragraph of this thread.

retiredguy is up next, followed by counter.
Last edited by jeff on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:18 am

4. Paige Hauschild — USC 2MD/Utility — I’ll stick with the run of Olympians from our gold medal team!

7. Thea Walsh — Stanford GK — Not a ton of experienced goalies out there and I think Avital will prob get some playing time at Stanford as well. Walsh though has a lot of experience and will have a strong season.

14. Mireia Guiral — USC Center — I’m expecting a big season here from Guiral and if USC is going to win the NCAA title, she is gonna play a big part in it.

17. Luca Petovary — ASU Attacker — with ASU starting the season ranked 4th and coming off of a really nice spring season last year, I’d expect this pick to look pretty good after the year is over.

24. John Tanner — Coach Stanford — JT has done an amazing job during his time at Stanford and I believe will lead them to a title this season.

27. Elli Protopapas — Cal Attacker — need some goal scorers from the perimeter on this team and this fits the bill. 70 career goals so far and this Greek National Team member is a solid player.

34. Toni Shackleford — UCI Utility —solid all around player for UCI and yup I’ll plan to draft another goalie for my team at the end, bummer for Walsh.

37. Katie Lyons — Stanford Attacker — while Stanford reloads in a major way, I still expect some of their players to have a role and this is one of them.

counter
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby counter » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:20 pm

Team 3: The Inside-Outsiders

3. Maddie Musselman, attacker, UCLA. A two-time Olympian and MVP of the 2020 Olympics. Like the Fischer sisters, Musselman didn't play during the 2020 and 2021 college seasons because she was training for the Olympics. She is a three-time first-team college All-American. Musselman might be the best offensive attacker in the country. Her career shooting percentage at UCLA, 51.5 percent, is outstanding.

8. Emma Wright, LH attacker, Cal. Wright, 25, is a three-time All-American and was the captain of the Canadian team in the 2020 Olympics. She sat out the 2020 and 2021 college seasons training for the Olympics. Wright is the best left-handed attacker in the country and may have the strongest perimeter shot. She has scored 154 goals in her three years at Cal.

13. Tara Prentice, attacker/utility, U.C. Irvine. With Musselman and Prentice on the 1/2 side and Wright on the 4/5 side, good luck trying to defend my attackers. Prentice didn't play during the 2021 college season because she was training with the senior national team. She will play this year as a graduate student. Prentice was a second-team All-American in 2018, a third-team All-American in 2019, and a first-team All-American in 2020. She has scored 168 goals in her three years at Irvine.

18. Chloe Harbilas, center defender, Stanford. This was a tough choice, but I need a center defender who can score. Harbilas scored 38 goals in 19 games last year and was a third-team All-American. She is an NCAA champion. With the Fischer sisters and Ryann Neushul returning to Stanford this season, Harbilas won't score two goals per game, but she will be one of the best center defenders in the country. Six (six!) Stanford players have been selected in the top 18.

23. Ava Johnson, center, UCLA. Although everyone else has selected a center, I'm taking Johnson now in case someone decides to play with two centers. Johnson, a senior, was an honorable mention All-American in 2020 and a first-team All-American in 2021. She draws a ton of exclusions. My great perimeter shooters will punish teams that drop on Johnson.

28. Maya Avital, goalie, Stanford. I need a goalie and I think Avital has the greatest potential of the goalies who have not been selected. Avital is a 6'2" sophomore. After I selected Avital this morning, Jeff told me he just heard that Thea Walsh has left the Stanford program. If so, Avital will be Stanford's starting goalie and will play almost all of the meaningful minutes.

33. Dan Klatt, coach, U.C. Irvine. Klatt has done a good job with the women's program at Irvine. The rumor mill has him getting the men's coaching job as well. Klatt would find my team to his liking.

38. Elyse Lemay-Lavoie, center, Hawaii. To make my team even harder to defend, I'm selecting a second center. Lemay-Lavoie is 27. She sat out the 2020 and 2021 seasons training with the Canadian senior national team and playing in the 2020 Olympics. In her second year at Hawaii in 2019, Lemay-Lavoie was a second-team All-American, scoring 53 goals (including 6 against Cal in the NCAA quarterfinals) on just 80 shots and drawing 38 exclusions.

My predictions for the 2022 season:

NCAA champions - Stanford, unless Avital is injured and misses the NCAA tournament

Cutino Award - Maddie Musselman

Other Cutino Award finalists - Makenzie and Aria Fischer

MPSF newcomer of the year - Honnie Vandeweghe-O'Shea. I don't expect her to get much playing time early in the season, but she could be in USC's regular rotation by the end of the year and be a factor in the NCAA tournament.

Coach of the year - John Tanner because this award is almost always given to the team that wins the national championship

Surprise team - Michigan

oldschoolpolofan is on the clock.

oldschoolpolofan
How are you connected to water polo?: Former Player & Fan of the game

Postby oldschoolpolofan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:51 pm

Team 2: Thunder and Lightning

2. Aria Fischer - Center - Stanford - I think the difference between Aria and all of the centers is the biggest difference vs any other player in the country and others at their positions. She was dominant in Tokyo establishing her as one of the top three centers in the world (could argue now the best). I predict teams will try to defend her like the men's teams did Hallock in his last year....complete fear. Similar to her sister she stopped out of the college seasons for the last two years for the Olympics and would be a fifth-year senior age and maturity-wise (this is only her third season but listed as a senior on the roster so assume she will not return next year). In the two years she played, she was first and second-team All-American and won the National Championship last time she put on the Stanford cap. Motivation wise...I expect the Fischer sisters will be highly motivated to go out together with another championship.

9. Jewel Roemer - Attacker - Stanford - First-team All-American and Newcomer of the year her freshman year.

12. Alejandra Aznar - LH Attacker - USC - Another player returning from two seasons away training with Spanish National Team - Last we saw her, she was a critical piece of USC offense (third-leading scorer) that made the final earning All-American Honorable Mention in the process. Expecting big things in her return to USC this year.

19. Lucia Gomez de La Puente - Attacker - Hawaii - The Spaniard was First Team All-American and Big West Freshman of the Year.

22. Hannah Constandse- LH Attacker - Stanford - All-American HM first two seasons on the far. Will pair well with Aznar on the 4/5 side

29. Carolyne Stern - Goalie - USC - Although I do not know who will start in the cage for USC, it would seem Stern would have the advantage having received the most playing time behind Parker last year. She has great length at 6'2" and experience with the youth national team. This could be the beginning of a multi-year run as the Trojan starter. If USC is going to beat a loaded Stanford this year, Stern will need to be excellent

32. Honnie Vandeweghe-O'Shea - Utility - USC - I will go with the potential here given her Junior and Senior National Team experience there is the tremendous upside. While I don't see her playing much 2MD for the Trojans this season, she will use her length speed and versatility to help complete the players on my team. Could be a big x factor in the NCAA season this year.

39. Coralie Simmons - Coach - Cal - I am glass half full on Coralie and believe in her experience and understanding of the women's game. I think she would be very well suited to coach my team with the combination of a dominant center and agile quick versatile field players.

2022 predictions:

NCAA Champions - Stanford is loaded and this should be their year (Imagine if Sarah Klass had stayed for an extra year)

Cutino Award - Aria Fischer - other finalists Makenzie Fischer and Paige Hauschild as I predict Stanford and USC will be a strong 1 and 2 with UCLA battling Cal for third which could push Musselman out of Cutino contention. (Always helps me to remember that Maggie Steffens never won the Cutino award so team success and how other teams try to defend star players makes a big impact)

Newcomer of the Year - Honnie Vandeweghe-O'Shea as I don't see many freshman this year getting significant PT at top 6 teams. So many players returning from Olympics and others staying extra year will make it tough

Coach of the Year - Tanner because Stanford should win

Surprise team - UC Irvine - lots of experienced upperclassmen return.

Thanks again Jeff for hosting the draft - very excited to watch these amazing Women kick off their season!

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 pm

Team 1: The Defenders

1. Makenzie Fischer, attacker/2MD, Stanford. Fischer is a 2x Olympian, 2x NCAA champion, 3x college All-American (2x 1st team All-American and 1x 2nd team All-American), and Cutino Award winner. Fischer will be 25 in March. She has played a lot of high-level water polo since 2015 (two Olympic Games and three World Championships). I don't know whether she intends to play for the United States in the World Championships in May. From a distance, it's hard to judge Fischer's level of motivation for the 2022 college season. Nevertheless, I think she's the best college player, one of the best players in the world, and a future Hall of Famer. I will decide whether to play Fischer as an attacker or 2MD after I draft the rest of my team.

10. Abbi Hill, 2MD/utility, UCLA. Hill, a junior, is a strong, physical, and versatile player. She was a 1st team All American in her freshman year and an honorable mention All-American in her sophomore year. She will be my starting 2MD.

11. Bayley Weber, utility, USC. Like Fischer and Hill, Weber (a senior) can play multiple positions. She is an NCAA champion and a 2x All-American (2nd team in 2020 and 2021).

20. Maddy Steere, utility, Michigan. I didn't think Steere, perhaps the best field-position player in Michigan history, would be available with the 20th pick in our draft. Steere gives me a fourth player with excellent size, strength, and versatility. Steere didn't play for Michigan during the 2020 and 2021 seasons because she was training with the Australian senior national team. She is a 3x All-American (honorable mention in 2017, 3rd team in 2018, and 2nd team in 2019). During her three years at Michigan, Steere has 180 goals, 125 assists, 92 drawn exclusions, 117 steals, and 38 field blocks.

21. Tilly Kearns, center, USC. Kearns is a strong, tough, and physical center. She didn't play for USC during the 2020 and 2021 seasons because she was training with the Australian senior national team and played in the Toyko Olympics. Kearns scored 29 goals as a true freshman in 2019. Her father is one of Australia's greatest rugby players.

30. Adam Wright, coach, UCLA. Wright's coaching style isn't for everyone, but I think he will get the most out of my team.

31. Maddie O'Reilly, LH attacker, Michigan. This will be O'Reilly's fifth year at Michigan. She was a 2nd team All-American and the CWPA player of the year in 2021. Her style of play (savvy and opportunistic) and speed will fit in well with the rest of the players on my team.

40. Isabel Williams, goalie, Cal. Williams is a 6'3" junior and should start for Cal. Williams and UCLA's Georgia Phillips were the goalies on the U.S. team that played in the 2019 Junior World Championships. I think Cal will be better than some people are predicting and, if so, Williams will be one of the reasons.

Because we didn't have as many participants as we normally do and to acknowledge seven more players and one more coach, here is a team comprised of players and a coach not already selected:

Team 6: Don't Count us Out

Itzahiana Baca, goalie, Arizona State. (retiredguy told me he would select Pacific's Clara Vulpisi as his substitute for Thea Walsh and therefore Vulpisi is ineligible for Team 6.) Baca started for Arizona State as a freshman during the 2020 season and was a 2nd team All-American. Chelsea Karimazondo started most of the games at goalie for Arizona State last year but elected not to use her fifth year of eligibility.

Sofie Pontre, 2MD, Michigan. oldschoolpolofan and I considered taking Pontre, an Australian, with our last pick but chose Katrina Drake instead. This will be Pontre's fifth season at Michigan. She is a 2x All-American (2nd team in 2020 and honorable mention in 2021).

Noelle Wijnbelt, center, U.C. Davis. Wijnbelt, a 6'2" center from Foothill High School, may be the best player not selected on one of our five teams. She is a 3x All-American (2nd team in 2020 and 3rd team in 2019 and 2021).

Amira Van Buren, center, Arizona State. This will be Van Buren's fifth season at Arizona State. She is a 2x All-American (2nd team in 2020 and 2021).

Emily Nicholson, center, Fresno State. I usually wouldn't pick three centers for an all-star team but Nicholson (from New Zealand) is one of the 40 best players in the country and deserves the recognition. Besides, how many players draw 110 exclusions in one season as Nicholson did in 2019? This will be Nicholson's fifth season at Fresno State. She is a 2x All-American (2nd team in 2021 and 3rd team in 2020).

Mariana Duarte, attacker, Pacific. Duarte redshirted in 2020 and 2021. She played for Brazil in the 2016 Olympics, has scored 144 goals during her three years at Pacific, and was an honorable mention All-American in 2019.

Orsi Hertzka, attacker, LBSU. Hertzka, a Hungarian, redshirted in 2021. She has a lot of international experience and is a 2x All-American (honorable mention in 2019 and 3rd team in 2020). She has scored 113 goals in her two years at LBSU.

Natalie Benson, coach, Fresno State. Benson has done a magnificent job at Fresno State. I think she should be the coach of a "Big 4" school.

Here are my end-of-season predictions:

NCAA champions: Stanford. Assuming the rumors about Thea Walsh are true, Stanford is in trouble if Maya Avital is unable to play because of an injury or the COVID-19 protocols. Since Avital is the only true goalie on the roster, Stanford would be forced to play a field-position player at goalie. Given Walsh's decision not to play in 2021, John Tanner probably regrets his decision not to recruit a goalie from the Class of 2021. It's risky not to recruit a goalie every other year.

Cutino Award: Makenzie Fischer, if she is fully motivated. Who could blame her if she isn't?

Other Cutino Award finalists: Maddie Musselman and Kitty Lynn Joustra

MPSF newcomer of the year: I don't know for the reasons stated by oldschoolpolofan. My guess is that it will be someone from Arizona State or San Jose State.

Coach of the year: John Tanner, if Stanford wins the NCAA championship.

Surprise team. Cal. In a normal year, Cal would be a serious threat to win the NCAA championship. However, this isn't a normal year.

My Pre-season Top 10:

1. Stanford. How many teams have or have had four players (the Fischer sisters, Jewel Roemer, and Ryann Neushul) likely to be on the next U.S. Olympic team? If Avital is unable to play during the NCAA tournament, I think UCLA will win the tournament.
2. UCLA. UCLA will finish ahead of USC because of its superior depth and coaching.
3. USC
4. Cal. I will be very surprised if Cal finishes behind Arizona State.
5. Arizona State
6. Michigan
7. Hawaii
8. U.C. Irvine
9. Fresno State (on the strength of Natalie Benson's coaching)
10. Indiana (too close to call between Indiana and UCSD)
10. UCSD

My thanks to all of the participants in our 2022 women's college draft.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:26 pm

4. Paige Hauschild — USC 2MD/Utility — I’ll stick with the run of Olympians from our gold medal team!

7. Thea Walsh — Stanford GK — Not a ton of experienced goalies out there and I think Avital will prob get some playing time at Stanford as well. Walsh though has a lot of experience and will have a strong season.

14. Mireia Guiral — USC Center — I’m expecting a big season here from Guiral and if USC is going to win the NCAA title, she is gonna play a big part in it.

17. Luca Petovary — ASU Attacker — with ASU starting the season ranked 4th and coming off of a really nice spring season last year, I’d expect this pick to look pretty good after the year is over.

24. John Tanner — Coach Stanford — JT has done an amazing job during his time at Stanford and I believe will lead them to a title this season.

27. Elli Protopapas — Cal Attacker — need some goal scorers from the perimeter on this team and this fits the bill. 70 career goals so far and this Greek National Team member is a solid player.

34. Toni Shackleford — UCI Utility —solid all around player for UCI and yup I’ll plan to draft another goalie for my team at the end, bummer for Walsh.

37. Katie Lyons — Stanford Attacker — while Stanford reloads in a major way, I still expect some of their players to have a role and this is one of them.

Bonus pick -- Clara Vulpisi -- Pacific GK -- skipped last season to play in the Olympics for Canada, while I don't expect Pacific to be as strong this year, Vulpisi gives them a chance to win the GCC.

NCAA Champions: Stanford - They've had some pretty amazing teams recently, but this might be one of the best. While I expect USC and UCLA to give them some great games and they might sneak some wins at some point, it seems like JT always has his team ready to play the big game at the end.

Cutino Award: I'll go with Aria Fischer, I loved the way she played at the Olympics and I'm hoping it carries over to this season. So fun to watch the intensity and fire.

Other finalists: Makenzie Fischer and Maddie Musselman

Newcomer of the Year: Honnie Vandeweghe-O'Shea - seems like the popular pick but she did play on the National team and USC seems like they have the most availability of minutes

Coach of the Year: John Tanner

Surprise Team: Indiana - I like what Taylor Dodson is doing at Indiana and I think they might surprise some teams this year. They have some pretty solid talent on their team, would love to see Michigan and Indiana competing against the Big 4 every year.

Thanks again Jeff for doing this and keeping it moving along!

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”