Indiana to MPSF

Womens College Water Polo
MikeFromBrooklyn
How are you connected to water polo?: Writer on water polo for Swimming World, Total Water Polo, Water Polo World

Re: Indiana to MPSF

Postby MikeFromBrooklyn » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 pm

stickman wrote:Teams like Michigan and Indiana have the resources to compete for a championship, it's just a matter of the right leadership. Many believe Marcello is that guy for Michigan, the jury is still out on that. I don't know if Ryan is that guy for Indiana, but based on the article he seems to think he is...we'll see.

I think Leonardi is on the right track at Michigan, and - as you / others mention - has the resources and the support from his AD to win the CWPA every year. The problem is that—from a competitive standpoint—the next two best teams in his conference are now gone. PLUS, Princeton will have a new coach next spring and who knows what's next for Harvard / Brown.

So, he'll be in Cali every possible weekend.

The difference maker in the college game (IMO) are the international players, and I expect (not 100% sure) that moving to the MPSF will help IU w/recruiting them. Is it enough to get the Hoosiers past the Sun Devils? Well, Castle did coach at ASU when they were at their peak, so he must know what it takes to compete. And, his Hawaii experience must also be instructive. I am thinking about the CSU Bakersfield debacle (which I unfortunately missed); I just don't see a school like IU backing up the moving trucks on a WWP program (now, if it was a pro football team...!).

stickman wrote:I don't know about any issues with the CWPA, but I posted several times many years ago that schools in that conference need to break into smaller conferences as a way to grow the tournament and provide more opportunity for other schools to start programs. With all due respect to Dan Sharadin and the great work he's done for water polo in this country, the CWPA should just focus on the collegiate club game.

I can't resist a response here. Sharadin is at the heart of ALL discussions in Eastern polo - and his efforts to grow the sport are legendary. Could the CWPA be more autonomous? Sure, but the split with the men has created more NCAA activity (though one could question the substance). If Sharadin / his crew just focused on club ball, would we have an exciting Wagner men's team? What about a program at SFU that now has room to grow (Marialena Seletopoulou was an amazing addition to their attack - of course once they figured her out, no more wins...). And, he supposedly has influence in the MAAC, which will now add a new team (more on that soon...)

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Postby dadonthedeck » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 am

Mitch wrote:Oh, and the CWPA has by far the best conference tourney coverage.

Maybe they can give some pointers to the Ivy League Network. That is some pitifully poor quality stuff.

stickman

Postby stickman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Adding more conferences = adding more auto qualifiers to the Tournament.
More auto qualifiers = more incentive for college athletic departments to start water polo teams.

100% agree about Dan.
I just think that there's other people out there that could have a similar impact as conference commissioners.
College water polo needs more than one Dan Sharadin.

Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rational » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 am

One year in....Thoughts?

Looking at the scoresheet, in their final game, IU only had 8 field players listed, and 2 fouled out, so they had to play iron-(wo)man from the 1:53 mark of the 3rd quarter.

Gobama
How are you connected to water polo?: Yes

Postby Gobama » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:51 pm

The SCIAC is a multi-sports conference with 9 members, all nine of whom participate in NCAA varsity water polo for men and women. Not sure what exactly you want them to do.

HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 pm

I think the point here is to try to get more leagues to officially adopt the sport. There are far and few (especially at D3) so ultimately the move is as much of a reflection on the B1G as it is on the PAC-12

wprookie
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby wprookie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:16 pm

I heard that Sophie Leggett transferred from Cal to Indiana. From what I read she was a contributor on the Cal roster and had decent playing time. Seems odd that she would transfer to Indiana.

Anyone know why?

HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:47 am

She confirmed she will transfer to IU as of this week via press release. She had played in a few games but then took a medical redshirt (I think she only had played four games) so she will have four years of eligibility.

She does have connections to the program in that Dodson coached her at one point, and played club with one of the current members of the roster. It could also possibly be she felt a connection to the other athletes that provided a family atmosphere. I think this is a good get for Dodson, and if there's a season, IU will definitely be in a position to positively trend and based on their 2021 recruiting class (that's a popular page right now), they have a lot of athletes from big name HS programs (Laguna Beach, Monte Vista, Miramonte) which I think speaks to Dodson and her staff's ability to recruit.

wprookie
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby wprookie » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks for the insight. It would be great to see IU do well and help spread the excitement of water polo across Big-10 country.

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”