2019 Season

Womens College Water Polo
SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: 2019 Season

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Inwp wrote:UCLA 7, Cal 6.

Tagg with 18 saves, but Musselman (3 goals) and UCLA were able to win. Championship game coming up here in Palo Alto are the top of the hour. Should be a great game.

Tagg played a great game, but Musselman was too much. She had at least two assists and a couple of steals.

Cal needs more than two combined goals out of Mulder, Joustra and Wright.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, former player

Postby Inwp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Final (Sudden Death): USC 9, Stanford 8.

A phenomenal game. Paige Hauschild gets the game winner from 10 meters out. Bayley Weber vs. Aria Fischer was a great game-within-the-game to watch. Congrats to all teams who punched their ticket to the NCAA Tournament. I'm looking forward to the NCAA Tournament.

Martini
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Martini » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 am

If Stanford can't win when their goalie plays at a level with USC's goalie, then I don't know when Stanford can win.

fanofpolo

Postby fanofpolo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 am

Martini wrote:If Stanford can't win when their goalie plays at a level with USC's goalie, then I don't know when Stanford can win.

When they play in the NCAA championship game and don’t miss two penalty shots.

DinsdalePiranha
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Hawaii played a strong second half and their center was dominating. As I said, UCI had to hold them 6 and below because their scoring has been a challenge and 0 for 6 on 6 on 5 won’t help.

USC showed a lot of 4th quarter grit a real difference from the last game. Both goalies played great, the Stanford goalie was outstanding, 15 saves, gave them a chance to win. For Stanford, having one player go 1 for 8 (and the one goal was a penalty shot) won’t make it, need to have better production or a more balanced attack.

USC need to learn not to front the center

Can’t believe Farid gets to ref any game higher than 12 and under

Don’t think you were referring to yesterday’s game because they made 2 out of three and the third was blocked
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:37 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:USC showed a lot of 4th quarter grit a real difference from the last game. Both goalies played great, the Stanford goalie was outstanding, 15 saves, gave them a chance to win. For Stanford, having one player go 1 for 8 (and the one goal was a penalty shot) won’t make it, need to have better production or a more balanced attack.

Agree, both goalies played very well. Stanford's center defense leaves something to be desired.

Stanford had quite a few outstanding point blank opportunities, but could not put them away.

Hauschild was very impressive. That is the best that I have seen her play all year.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:59 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:Don’t think you were referring to yesterday’s game because they made 2 out of three and the third was blocked

Stanford made 2 out of 4 5M shots. Each Fischer sister went 1 for 2.

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Not according to The Fosh
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:05 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:Not according to The Fosh

Did you see the game?

I was there. I promise you that Stanford went 2 for 4 on 5M attempts.

The FOSH is often unreliable.

newtothisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Postby newtothisgame » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:USC showed a lot of 4th quarter grit a real difference from the last game. Both goalies played great, the Stanford goalie was outstanding, 15 saves, gave them a chance to win. For Stanford, having one player go 1 for 8 (and the one goal was a penalty shot) won’t make it, need to have better production or a more balanced attack.

Can’t believe Farid gets to ref any game higher than 12 and under

Don’t think you were referring to yesterday’s game because they made 2 out of three and the third was blocked

By the way that he talks about USC’s grit in the 4th quarter and the exceptional play by the Stanford goalie, it sure sounds like he was there to me or at least saw the game. Not sure why he is quoting FOSH though. 5 meter shots are usually pretty easy to keep track of.
Last edited by newtothisgame on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

redleader
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby redleader » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:53 pm

His stats are correct Stanford was 2/4 on 5 meters with each Fischer sister going 1/2. I watched it on TV on the PAC-12 Network

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm

I did watch the game but not every minute, I walked away for bit in disgust when it was offensive after offensive going back and forth, sorry, if the fosh is wrong take it up with them, so one was blocked and one missed?

Swearengen
How are you connected to water polo?: mayor

Postby Swearengen » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Let's please not neglect this question. How are these the referees for the final game?????
"I'm declaring myself conductor of this meeting as I have the bribe sheet." - Al Swearengen

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:48 pm

No [email protected]#$

By the way, the USC site claims 4 penalty shots, 2 blocked. Maybe the person keeping the stats for the fosh was disgusted with all the offensive fouls and walked away when I did

Poloforever
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby Poloforever » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:No [email protected]#$

By the way, the USC site claims 4 penalty shots, 2 blocked. Maybe the person keeping the stats for the fosh was disgusted with all the offensive fouls and walked away when I did

Was at the game, and also watched on TV. The officiating was terrible! Dinsdale, you are right about the offensive fouls. In one sequence there were six offensive fouls called in a row. All based on nothing. Half of the exclusions were ridiculous calls, as were several of the 5-meter penalty calls. Krikorian even commented on TV that the referees need to actually "see the fouls" before they make a call. For most of the game they seemed to be guessing.

What I didn't understand was when Stanford went ahead by 2 goals with 4 minutes plus left in the game, a TV timeout was called. USC failed to score after the timeout, and Stanford, in possession of the ball with a 2-goal lead. immediately called another timeout just 20 seconds after the TV timeout. This gave USC a chance to set up their "press and steal" defense. They promptly stole the ball and scored the next two goals to tie the game. An ill-advised timeout perhaps?

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”