what is going on with UCSB water polo?

Womens College Water Polo
polopperson
How are you connected to water polo?: player

what is going on with UCSB water polo?

Postby polopperson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:22 am

heard many rumors about the UCSB women's program. anyone know what's up with that?

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: what is going on with UCSB water polo?

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:19 pm

Well what kind of rumors would that be?

Coaching change?

Covid cases?

Rain coming next couple days?

polopperson
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Postby polopperson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Well what kind of rumors would that be?

Coaching change?

Covid cases?

rumors of a coaching change and their coach being suspended. as of now their roster for this coming season is blank

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:29 am

polopperson wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:Well what kind of rumors would that be?

Coaching change?

Covid cases?

rumors of a coaching change and their coach being suspended. as of now their roster for this coming season is blank

Well, I would not look too much into the blank roster thing. A lot of women's programs don't have their rosters up yet. They still have last years rosters on..

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:11 pm

I've heard from several reliable sources that the UCSB Athletic Department has been dysfunctional for years. Whether it is coincidental or not, UCSB is seeking to hire a new Athletic Director. In addition, we know about the rules violations committed by Wolf Wigo and one of his assistant coaches. These violations resulted in NCAA sanctions against the men's water polo program. https://swimswam.com/ucsb-mens-water-po ... iolations/. Wigo didn't lose his job as the result of these violations or the program's history of underachievement. In this regard, I've often wondered how Chris Segesman, Dusty Litvak, Brian Flacks, or Brett Ormsby would do at UCSB.

Regarding UCSB's women's water polo program, I have heard, but not confirmed, that the head coach was put on administrative leave. I don't know why this occurred, but she has apparently been reinstated and will coach the team this season. Like the men's team, the women's team has underachieved for years.

In another thread on this website, Rational asked whether a team other than Stanford, UCLA, or USC (the "Big 3" in women's water polo) or Cal (we can't say there is a "Big 4" in women's water polo because Cal hasn't won an NCAA title) will ever win an NCAA championship. Almost everyone agrees that Dan Klatt is an excellent coach, but he has been unable to take his U.C. Irvine team to the finals of an NCAA tournament. I don't see Irvine winning an NCAA championship unless Klatt is able to recruit several elite international players to play on the same team. I think UCSB, with its excellent location and weather and slightly reduced admission standards (as compared to Stanford, UCLA, and Cal), could win an NCAA championship if it had an exceptional coach.

If Jovan Vavic is acquitted or there is a hung jury and the government decides not to retry him (I predict one of these two things will happen if the government can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Vavic personally benefitted from the college admissions scheme), I predict Vavic will file a wrongful termination lawsuit against USC, seeking to be reinstated as the coach of USC's men's and women's water polo teams and millions of dollars in damages. Initially, there will be a lot of press coverage of these events and then there will be silence because the parties will enter into a settlement agreement. Under the terms of the settlement agreement, Vavic will not return to USC, but he will receive a large cash payment and Stefan Vavic will be allowed to play for USC.

For whatever else one wants to say about Vavic, he's an excellent water polo coach. I've heard too many of his former players and other coaches say so to believe otherwise. If the scenario I describe above actually happens, Vavic will return to the college game, probably as the coach of a women's team because the path to winning an NCAA championship from a non-"Big 3" or "Big 4" school is easier. UCSB would be a logical choice. If this happens, UCSB will win an NCAA championship within five years of Vavic's arrival. Vavic will do what no other non-"Big 3" or Cal coach has been able to do because he will recruit some elite American players and more than UCSB's fair share of elite international players. I think Vavic could win an NCAA championship at several other colleges.

Finally, I wouldn't read too much into the state of UCSB's women's water polo website. Like the Athletic Department as a whole, the UCSB Athletic Communications Department has been dysfunctional for years. In addition to hiring a new Athletic Director, UCSB is seeking to hire a new Sports Information Director. Let's hope that he or she is able to turn the program around. The athletes and the public deserve better.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm

Very interesting scenario Jeff, and yes that's something that I could see happen. Would probably take a few years for any AD to want to hire Vavic however. Could not be a conservative type of AD that would want to cross that bridge.

As for as the rosters and schedules on UCSB. On the men's side this year, they had already played an actual game, and their roster was not even up yet.

TCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach, WPP Home Page Contributor

Postby TCoach » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:55 pm

jeff wrote:
In another thread on this website, Rational asked whether a team other than Stanford, UCLA, or USC (the "Big 3" in women's water polo) or Cal (we can't say there is a "Big 4" in women's water polo because Cal hasn't won an NCAA title) will ever win an NCAA championship. Almost everyone agrees that Dan Klatt is an excellent coach, but he has been unable to take his U.C. Irvine team to the finals of an NCAA tournament. I don't see Irvine winning an NCAA championship unless Klatt is able to recruit several elite international players to play on the same team.

Irvine, under Newland, used to develop talent not recruit it. At one point Bailey, Kerr, Amr, and Powers were all on the national team.

ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Postby ole'gauchos » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:57 pm

TCoach wrote:
jeff wrote:
In another thread on this website, Rational asked whether a team other than Stanford, UCLA, or USC (the "Big 3" in women's water polo) or Cal (we can't say there is a "Big 4" in women's water polo because Cal hasn't won an NCAA title) will ever win an NCAA championship. Almost everyone agrees that Dan Klatt is an excellent coach, but he has been unable to take his U.C. Irvine team to the finals of an NCAA tournament. I don't see Irvine winning an NCAA championship unless Klatt is able to recruit several elite international players to play on the same team.

Irvine, under Newland, used to develop talent not recruit it. At one point Bailey, Kerr, Amr, and Powers were all on the national team.

LEGEND

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Tarnished by racist and sexist legacy. Why is he a topic anyways on this thread? He hated UCSB and women’s water polo.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Horse585 wrote:Tarnished by racist and sexist legacy. Why is he a topic anyways on this thread? He hated UCSB and women’s water polo.

Yes TCoach did mention this mention of UCI waterpolo was from another thread, on what it would take to bring another program to compete with the big 4
The is no doubt the Ted Newland is one of the best X and Os waterpolo coach, we have ever seen. In the 70s and 80s he had UCI humming year after year, on a very limited athletic budget. UCI was newer to the UC network. It's not a coincidence that in the 80s as UCI was winning, so was the the US national team.

He was an 'old school' guy, in the same mold as Bobby Knight, you could say. He would yell and humiliate his players at practices. He was known to say derogatory remarks to a Mexican National team player he had at UCI for some time. Omar Amr, became one of the US best collegiate players in the mid 90s under Newland. Omar was either from Egypt or Libya descent (I;m sorry, going from my bad memory here) and he wrote an article in Skip Shot magazine, saying that Newland was good to him, but he did refer to him by the N word many times.

So yes, I would say that is a tarnished legacy. What somehow was accepted back then, would never fly today, thank god, but it still does not make it right.

So yes, any big Cali school could be brought up to challenge the top 4, look at UOP. But it will take a very passionate type of coach, that can find players to back him/her up, and buy into his system. (and some international players :lol: )

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:23 pm

Sorry about that.

Let's get back to UCSB girls Water polo now :D

H20 polo Dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

UCSB women to get counseling services

Postby H20 polo Dad » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:42 pm

After a short investigation of mental abuse allegations against Coach Serela's and her suspension, UCSB athletic staff has allowed Serela to return and offer the women counseling services upon their return in Jan 2022, to endure (or maybe soften) the abuse.

H20 polo Dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Re: what is going on with UCSB water polo? ZERO

Postby H20 polo Dad » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:42 pm

I agree! The UCSB Athletic Dept is a JOKE and obviously dismisses their women athletes' pleas for help (even though help was promised to them).
The player/victims of abuse at the hands of Coach Serela Kay are the WINNERS of professional counseling services!!! YAY! So once Coach Serela returns from her WELL DESERVED SUSPENSION she can FURTHER retaliate against her players, which is a common practice of hers!
RETALIATE, RETALIATE ONLY TO REALIATE!

Let's see how many more players will quit by the New Year! You would think UCSB athletic staff would demand a third person/compliance officer to travel or be on deck with the women water polo players to ensure their safety. No, too big of an ask; they get COUNSELING to work through the continual verbal, physical and mental abuse. By the way, these allegations had EVIDENCE submitted against Serela~ from recordings to texts messages, to eyewitness accounts) and staff obviously has not done enough to protect these women athletes, except COUNSELING services! What a joke!

Shame on UCSB Athletic Dept. I won't even go into detail about the MANDATORY $400 summer fee for ten days of training (@ 28 players) sent to the coach's private VENMO account. (Many more allegations...not enough space.)

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:43 pm

H20 polo Dad wrote:I agree! The UCSB Athletic Dept is a JOKE and obviously dismisses their women athletes' pleas for help (even though help was promised to them).
The player/victims of abuse at the hands of Coach Serela Kay are the WINNERS of professional counseling services!!! YAY! So once Coach Serela returns from her WELL DESERVED SUSPENSION she can FURTHER retaliate against her players, which is a common practice of hers!

Let's see how many more players will quit by the New Year! You would think UCSB athletic staff would demand a third person/compliance officer to travel or be on deck with the women water polo players to ensure their safety. No, too big of an ask; they get COUNSELING to work through the continual verbal, physical and mental abuse. By the way, these allegations had EVIDENCE submitted against Serela~ from recordings to texts messages, to eyewitness accounts) and staff obviously has not done enough to protect these women athletes, except COUNSELING services! What a joke!

Shame on UCSB Athletic Dept. I won't even go into detail about the MANDATORY $400 summer fee for ten days of training (@ 28 players) sent to the coach's private VENMO account. (Many more allegations...not enough space.)

Was this investigation only by UCSB? Was the NCAA involved?

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:18 pm

H20 polo Dad wrote:I agree! The UCSB Athletic Dept is a JOKE and obviously dismisses their women athletes' pleas for help (even though help was promised to them).

H2O polo Dad,

Those are serious allegations and, if true, appear to warrant further action. Accordingly, I took the liberty of sending email messages to Chancellor Yang, the NCAA, and the LA Times suggesting that there be a thorough investigation of your allegations. If there is a thorough investigation, you will have to identify yourself.
Last edited by jeff on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”