Coaching Carousel

Womens College Water Polo
Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Coaching Carousel

Postby Rational » Wed May 11, 2022 3:18 pm

Season is over, where are the openings? What are the coaching changes? Who is headed where?

La Salle - Hyham resigned - Open

Arizona State - Clapper out - Petra Pardi promoted from AC to HC

Cuesta College - Open

Cal Baptist - Jon Miller no longer listed on roster - Open

**UCI - Is Klatt moving to just be the Men's coach, or will he run both men's and women's? - edit - run both
Last edited by Rational on Wed May 18, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby SwimCoach » Wed May 11, 2022 6:19 pm

Rational wrote:**UCI - Is Klatt moving to just be the Men's coach, or will he run both men's and women's?

Unless something changes, Klatt will be coaching both teams.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 pm

As our colleague, retiredguy, noted in another thread on this website, Natalie Benson should be at the top of the list for every college that needs a new head coach. If she is willing to leave Fresno State for the ASU position, ASU should jump at the chance. With Benson as the head coach, ASU would be in the NCAA semifinals or finals within four years. And speaking of ASU, does anyone know why Todd Clapper stepped down or was forced to step down from the ASU position?

NoSoloPolo

Postby NoSoloPolo » Thu May 12, 2022 9:56 am

jeff wrote:As our colleague, retiredguy, noted in another thread on this website, Natalie Benson should be at the top of the list for every college that needs a new head coach. If she is willing to leave Fresno State for the ASU position, ASU should jump at the chance. With Benson as the head coach, ASU would be in the NCAA semifinals or finals within four years. And speaking of ASU, does anyone know why Todd Clapper stepped down or was forced to step down from the ASU position?

Benson has proven herself as an excellent coach and program builder. She could certainly help ASU rise. I imagine Petra Pardi, who was the assistant and is currently the interim head coach has an opportunity to become the head coach there as well.

With that said, does anyone know the current term on Benson's contract at Fresno? Irrespective of her interest in moving (which involves family and club-business decisions as well) I imagine those contract terms play into whether this speculation has merit.

Rational

Postby Rational » Thu May 12, 2022 4:03 pm

jeff wrote:With Benson as the head coach, ASU would be in the NCAA semifinals or finals within four years

Genuine question - why do you think this? What advantage does ASU have over say a UCI? Klatt is an excellent coach, an Olympian, and Nat'l team assistant and he hasn't been able to accomplish this; in part because the top kids domestically thumb their nose at anything not big-3. Also Arizona doesn't have HS polo and their path to NCAA's through the MPSF is exponentially harder.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 pm

Rational wrote: What advantage does ASU have over say a UCI? Klatt is an excellent coach, an Olympian, and Nat'l team assistant and he hasn't been able to accomplish this; in part because the top kids domestically thumb their nose at anything not big-3. Also Arizona doesn't have HS polo and their path to NCAA's through the MPSF is exponentially harder.

Not to mention that UCI is a significantly better school academically than ASU. Could it be the case that it is easier to recruit top international talent to ASU (similar, say, to UOP for men)?

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:48 pm

wpolo93 wrote:
Rational wrote: What advantage does ASU have over say a UCI? Klatt is an excellent coach, an Olympian, and Nat'l team assistant and he hasn't been able to accomplish this; in part because the top kids domestically thumb their nose at anything not big-3. Also Arizona doesn't have HS polo and their path to NCAA's through the MPSF is exponentially harder.

Not to mention that UCI is a significantly better school academically than ASU. Could it be the case that it is easier to recruit top international talent to ASU (similar, say, to UOP for men)?

ASU is a very popular school for SoCal kids and provides a big college experience. That’s hard to get outside the Big 4. Doesn’t solve the non-big 4 problem, but ASU has high potential.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Thu May 12, 2022 6:00 pm

Rational wrote:
jeff wrote:With Benson as the head coach, ASU would be in the NCAA semifinals or finals within four years

Genuine question - why do you think this? What advantage does ASU have over say a UCI? Klatt is an excellent coach, an Olympian, and Nat'l team assistant and he hasn't been able to accomplish this; in part because the top kids domestically thumb their nose at anything not big-3. Also Arizona doesn't have HS polo and their path to NCAA's through the MPSF is exponentially harder.

Nearly every top US recruit has gone to one of the big 3 or 4 in the recent past. As good of a coach as Benson is, I doubt that she would be able land those recruits.

I think that in order for ASU to make an NCAA Finals, that she and ASU would have to attract even more of the top foreign talent than they already do.

jeff

Postby jeff » Thu May 12, 2022 6:31 pm

Rational wrote:

That's a fair question, Rational. It's easier to be admitted to ASU than U.C. Irvine, Michigan, UCLA, and Cal. For non-athletes it's easier to be admitted to Irvine than UCLA. However, I suspect Adam Wright can get any water polo player admitted to UCLA who could be admitted to Irvine. I haven't met many good water polo players (male or female) who would prefer to play for Irvine than UCLA. The top California players will choose UCLA, Cal, or USC over Irvine almost every time. This is one of Dan Katt's dilemmas and he hasn't been able to solve it. Moreover, gone are the days when a Ted Newland could find diamonds in the rough and turn them into 1st team All-Americans and Olympians. With the advent of year-round water polo and the Olympic Development Program, even I can tell you which high school athletes are the best players in any particular year. As one "Big 4" coach told me, "we know who all the good players are even if they don't play for a strong high school program."

The all-time ASU women's water polo team is significantly better than the all-time U.C. Irvine team. This is because ASU has been able to recruit far more top-notch international players than Irvine. With all due respect to Klatt, he has not excelled in this area.

Natalie Benson is one of America's greatest water polo players and has an excellent reputation domestically and internationally. In Fresno State's fifth year of women's water polo, Benson took her team to the NCAA tournament after winning the Golden Gate Conference (admittedly not a strong conference) for the second consecutive year. Benson has already demonstrated the ability to recruit international players. Fresno State's 2022 team had eight international players: one from Spain, one from Australia, two from New Zealand, two from Canada, and two from Hungary. U.C. Irvine had one international player, a freshman who scored 14 goals. One of Fresno's State freshman international players scored 70 goals and was named to the NCAA all-tournament second team.

I don't know whether Benson would leave Fresno State for ASU. However, if she is offered the ASU position and accepts it, her new position would enhance her ability to recruit talented international players as well as American players who cannot be admitted to Stanford, UCLA, Cal, Michigan, or U.C. Irvine. It wouldn't take her long at ASU to surpass Irvine and to compete with Cal for the No. 4 spot in the country.

PoloNoNoz
How are you connected to water polo?: administrator, fan and sometimes coach

Postby PoloNoNoz » Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 pm

Ah Jeff, perhaps you should talk to Dan prior to saying "He doesn't excel at recruiting international players". I believe he philosophically doesn't believe in recruiting internationally. He has had a couple of players come to UCI from outside the US but the players initiated the contact not vise versa.

jeff

Postby jeff » Fri May 13, 2022 12:04 am

PoloNoNoz wrote:Ah Jeff, perhaps you should talk to Dan prior to saying "He doesn't excel at recruiting international players". I believe he philosophically doesn't believe in recruiting internationally. He has had a couple of players come to UCI from outside the US but the players initiated the contact not vise versa.

Regardless of the reason, PoloNoNoz, Dan Klatt's record at Irvine demonstrates that he doesn't excel at recruiting international players. Although you appear to see it differently, I don't see a meaningful distinction between a coach who accepts international players who "initiate the contact" and a coach who is not philosophically opposed to recruiting international players. In any event, without better international players, Irvine will have to be satisfied with an occasional top 5 or 6 water polo team because the best American players are not choosing Irvine and, unlike the men's program at Cal, elite international players aren't calling Klatt.

Schoolyards
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player, High School Coach

Postby Schoolyards » Fri May 13, 2022 3:38 pm

Polononoz,

You are absolutely correct, I believe Dan prefers to recruit American athletes. As a US Olympic coach, he maintains his integrity in developing a team from within. A super team from all over the world will win, but that's says more about the players then the coach. If you can win with local talent, especially with the kids who don't make it to the big 3, that's coaching. UCI scared a few teams this year without a single foreign player too (their Australian didn't play the second half of the season) just ask Hawaii, Cal & UCLA. Sure maybe they finish an occasional season as a top 4 team, but for Jeff to claim Klatt can't recruit is not the proper direction for the reason for UCI's final rankings each year.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Fri May 13, 2022 6:10 pm

Schoolyards wrote:Polononoz,

You are absolutely correct, I believe Dan prefers to recruit American athletes. As a US Olympic coach, he maintains his integrity in developing a team from within. A super team from all over the world will win, but that's says more about the players then the coach. If you can win with local talent, especially with the kids who don't make it to the big 3, that's coaching. UCI scared a few teams this year without a single foreign player too (their Australian didn't play the second half of the season) just ask Hawaii, Cal & UCLA. Sure maybe they finish an occasional season as a top 4 team, but for Jeff to claim Klatt can't recruit is not the proper direction for the reason for UCI's final rankings each year.

Exactly, goes to show you how much better at 'coaching' and developing, Dan Klatt is, over any of the "top 4' coaches. He also knows how to treat players right, unlike other D1 coaches out there

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Fri May 13, 2022 6:33 pm

Justafan22 wrote:Exactly, goes to show you how much better at 'coaching' and developing, Dan Klatt is, over any of the "top 4' coaches.

I think that Klatt is a very good coach, but how, exactly, is he better at “coaching” and developing over any of the other “top 4” coaches?

Neither Stanford nor UCLA had a single foreigner on their teams either.

cbarrot
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby cbarrot » Sat May 14, 2022 10:56 am

SwimCoach wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:Exactly, goes to show you how much better at 'coaching' and developing, Dan Klatt is, over any of the "top 4' coaches.

I think that Klatt is a very good coach, but how, exactly, is he better at “coaching” and developing over any of the other “top 4” coaches?

Neither Stanford nor UCLA had a single foreigner on their teams either.

I think what was meant, is that in spite of UCI not getting the top American prospects, and not relying on foreigners, look at the job that Dan Klatt and Andrew Rowe do at UCI.

The top 4 get most of the top American talent and can sometimes go 2 or 3 deep at each position. They can handle the loss of players to injuries better, by being so deep.

You could say “well they have Tara Prentice” When Tara transferred to UCI she was not the same player she is today. We have seen her grow into one of the best players in the nation at UCI

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”