Number of Participating Teams by Age

JO's
TwoFoulsSwitch
How are you connected to water polo?: Former Player, Dad of player

Number of Participating Teams by Age

Postby TwoFoulsSwitch » Mon May 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Curious if this has ever come up but I don't understand the logic of having the number of teams that qualify for JOs decrease from 16U to 18U - If we wanted to keep growing our sport, why wouldn't we give as many kids playing the opportunity to continue playing?

I know I come from one of the larger regions (Coastal) where the number of teams trying to qualify exceed the regional allocations. If we wanted to continue to grow the sport wouldn't we want kids that have played up to their junior and senior years of high school to have the opportunity to experience JOs versus not make the cut likely fall out of playing the sport?

I can't think of a faster way to have kids quit playing then not have the opportunity to go to JOs in their last years of high school. Perhaps I am missing something.....

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Re: Number of Participating Teams by Age

Postby oldtimer » Mon May 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm not totally sure, but I believe that any player going to a D1 or D2 school will be training for their college team (possibly even out of state) when JOs is held - so they would likely not participate. Therefore, fewer teams entering.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Re: Number of Participating Teams by Age

Postby retiredguy » Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 pm

My guess would be that a lot of 16U teams are kids going into their Soph or Junior years of high school. Obviously, these kids are the most likely group to play all summer long since they are preparing to be on their Varsity squads. The 18U teams would be comprised of kids going into their Senior year of high school or headed to college. The number of HS graduating seniors continuing to play is going to be much lower because we need more NCAA teams!

Seems unfortunate to me that some good teams get left out in the more competitive regions. Wouldn't it make sense to either create another region in Southern California (or send some to San Diego or Central Cal)?

Return to “US Junior Olympics”