Distance of pools

JO's
kennedypolocoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Player and Coach

Distance of pools

Postby kennedypolocoach » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Why does it seem like this year there are pools further and further away from each other ? Is it cheaper to make all the parents and coaches and players drive further away then to secure pools around San Jose and Palo Alto ?

OCPoloDad

Re: Distance of pools

Postby OCPoloDad » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Pool space is always a problem, especially as you get outside of Socal. Its why you don't see JO's in other parts of the country. There are many pools but some pools don't meet the requirements necessary to hold the event whether its pool size, depth, or spectator viewing. Add to this that many pools are taken over by the local Recreation Dpt for swim lessons/misc so those pools are off limits. Plus, the event has grown tremendously over the years. We have many more teams participating now and different brackets whereas in the "old days", JO's was limited to those who qualified. Everyone else sat home. I have driven from La Jolla to El Cajon (25 miles) for games within the same age bracket an gender.

CPR

Postby CPR » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:37 pm

From what I can tell, the same pools are being used this year as were used the last two times JO's was up here.

As for number of teams, it's been a while since USWP went to the regional qualifying process, but I seem to remember a significantly larger tournament back in the days when all you had to do was enter and pay, and anyone could participate. There were definitely more CA teams playing back then.
Coach/Player/Ref

kennedypolocoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Player and Coach

Postby kennedypolocoach » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:44 pm

San Jose st, homestead, Los gatos, Saratoga, Lynwood what happened with those pools? I remember those being used 2 or 4 years ago...campolindo to aptos is a long ways away and only 1 week notice as to where you will play?

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 pm

My son's team had games on day one at Independence (San Jose), then games on day two at Acalanes (50 miles away), then day three at West Valley College (again, 50 miles from Acalanes). Not all pools were 'spectator friendly' (Acalanes parking lot was being redone, so parking was bad). I heard of some other pools where there was no spectator seating.

Not complaining - with 48 teams in Championship, up to 48 teams in Classic in each age group (12U thru 18U), plus the Invitational brackets for 16/18U... and 10U girls - there were over 400 teams. There were as many as 60 games a day for each age group - about 250 games a day in total. That's about 5 courses for each age group (20-25 courses each day). Given how summer is often maintenance time for high school pools, and as stated many swim clubs and recreation departments have summer learn-to-swim and recreational swims, it is no wonder that the event is spread all over the place no matter where it is held.

I do not envy those who have to organize the event. Hopefully it results in a lot of revenue for their club/organization.

Return to “US Junior Olympics”