2017 NJO Session 2 - All girls and 10U Coed (July 27-30)

JO's
SouthCounty
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan/Dad/Played in HS.

Re: 2017 NJO Session 2 - All girls and 10U Coed (July 27-30)

Postby SouthCounty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:41 am

You got a lot of hate there SonofStone. The job was there for the taking which he applied for, interviewed and excepted. That's how it works right? This traitorous booster club (not the club but a member) you speak so highly of was also the financial backing of Vanguard Aquatics prior to switching to MD so you can at least thank them for that. As far as a long time assistant 3 to 4 years isn't really that long. Just look at some of the Bio's from older established clubs. Stop being such a Big Bully and look into getting some professional help.

SonofStone
How are you connected to water polo?: parent of players

Postby SonofStone » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:40 am

SouthCounty you don't know much about HBHS aquatics. Brian was forced to resign from his position as the BOYS water polo coach at HBHS. Everyone was grateful Mr. Canner did not replace him. And while I don't anything about water polo club finances, I do know that the booster board members to which I referred, were loyal members of HBWPC.

SouthCounty
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan/Dad/Played in HS.

Postby SouthCounty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:41 am

What were you the Booster President or something? Here's an idea? Someone start a new subject and call it Beat On HBWPC/HBHS so we can get back to reading posts about JOs.

ltoddnelson
How are you connected to water polo?: Photographer

Postby ltoddnelson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:01 am

SouthCounty wrote:Here's an idea? Someone start a new subject and call it Beat On HBWPC/HBHS so we can get back to reading posts about JOs.

{ LOUD APPLAUSE }

I too want to read more about positive experiences directly related to this year's JOs. We had a first year player and the experience was beyond our expectations. Can't wait for next year.

I, for one, don't see this as an appropriate forum for bashing, calling out or perpetuating issues as it isn't productive or positive. I am sure, there are a lot of youth that look at these posts and wonder why adults are so mean.

Anyone can choose to report the posts as being off topic as well by clicking on the "!" in the top right corner of the offending post. Hopefully that will help to quiet any off topic discussions.

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

I agree, let's get back to the Topic of the 2017 NJO. This was my grand daughters 1st NJO with the 10U girls and she was initially scared, but she got excited when she saw all the kids and got to play in her 1st NJO. Her team did not place very high but that did not matter, it was her experience of participating in the NJO and she was very excited and proud for the opportunity. I have attended dozens of NJO's starting in 1989 so it is not as new for me, but for her it was such a positive experience. I hope other parents and kids get the same feeling and continue in water polo and become champions of the sport in their regions, so we can continue to grow this sport.
Last edited by jlweath on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Postby JackBurton » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Well said.

Had a blast this JOs. This was my daughter's first 12u JOs playing with a squad that didn't even exsist last season. She spent most of the fall worrying about the club putting a team together. So this JOs became even more special for her.

Overall, I found the pool sites to be well ran with most of the games on time. For the most part the officiating at the 12u level was consistent from game to game. Definitely one of the better JOs I've been too.

BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - longtime supporter - love the game.

Postby BayBoy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 pm

I was also impressed at both sessions by the quality of the refereeing, the conduct of the parents and coaching, and the overall organization. Can't be easy running a dozen sites and thousands...

Well done USA polo

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 pm

I did not get out to as many games as I have been able to past, but, from what I saw, everything seemed to run fairly smoothly and I did not see too many problems with the reffing. For the most part, the venues were great. Woollett is a superb complex for the athletes, I just wish that it offered some sort of shade for the spectators. Having easy-ups haphazardly set up in the stands is not ideal.

Congratulations to all of the teams who participated. There was a lot of great polo being played out there.

DavisWP
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby DavisWP » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:41 am

I concur, the officiating this year was of the most consistently good quality of my six JOs attended. The site operations were also of high quality. Kudos SoCal.

PoloEagle22
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, former coach, former player

Postby PoloEagle22 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:02 am

SwimCoach wrote:I did not get out to as many games as I have been able to past, but, from what I saw, everything seemed to run fairly smoothly and I did not see too many problems with the reffing. For the most part, the venues were great. Woollett is a superb complex for the athletes, I just wish that it offered some sort of shade for the spectators.

Great observation. Many of the venues have done a great job with shade; Wollett was severely lacking. It was hot to the point of dangerous - saw several people deal with heat stroke because of the intensity of the heat. If USA water polo wants to keep using that venue, I would like to encourage them and the city if Irvine to look into some options.

Grande Norte
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of player

Postby Grande Norte » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:53 am

Now that JO's has ended and most families are either on or have completed the one or two week's left to vacation, I wanted to congratulate Northwood 16U's Girls team on third place and top SoPac finish. They entered JO's as the sixth seed (third seed in SoPac):
10-4 over Greenwich #11
8-6 over Set #3
6.3-6.1 shootout win over 680 #2
5-4 loss to Diablo #9 in Semi's (NW was up 4-1, Diablo scored the go ahead goal with 20 sec. left)
6.6-6.5 shootout win over SB 805 #4 in bronze game. SB was up 3-0 in the first quarter. Great comeback win with three goalie saves during the ten player shootout win.

Northwood was minus two Olu starters that will be seniors this year (18U). The team was made up of 10 OLu 16U players plus two field players from (Northwood HS & Beckman) and back-up goalie (Beckman). In an age division that usually has all-star teams dominate, it's nice to see a small club do well and out perform Set and SoCal.
Grande Norte

Return to “US Junior Olympics”