2018 NJO Qualification Tournaments

JO's
wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: 2018 NJO Qualification Tournaments

Postby wpolo93 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm

My understanding is that the 31st seed will probably move to the 30th position, etc. The 7th place from the Pacific JO Quals and a team from the Southeast zone will be probably seeded as 47th and 48th in the Championship. I assume that NSD will get one of the first seeds in Classic but I can only guess here.

BTW, SD Shores had no problem with NSD Stars at the USCC this Friday.

As for the fourth team from Midwest, I do not see a problem at all. They will probably have two tough losses on the first day and learn something from those looses. If a team has a couple of really talented kids those kids will be able to play on Friday in front of some college coaches- almost once a year opportunity for them.
On the second day, they are likely to go to the bottom half of the Gold division and will have theee days of competitive games.
Last edited by wpolo93 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Duplicate

Polo4ever
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach/fan

Postby Polo4ever » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm

wpolo93 wrote:My understanding is that the 31st seed will probably move to the 30th position, etc. The 7th place from the Pacific JO Quals and a team from the Southeast zone will be probably seeded as 47th and 48th in the Championship. I assume that NSD will get one of the first seeds in Classic but I can only guess here.

BTW, SD Shores had no problem with NSD Stars at the USCC this Friday.

As for the fourth team from Midwest, I do not see a problem at all. They will probably have two tough losses on the first day and learn something from those looses. If a team has a couple of really talented kids those kids will be able to play on Friday in front of some college coaches- almost once a year opportunity for them.
On the second day, they are likely to go to the bottom half of the Gold division and will have theee days of competitive games.

Thanks for the info.

I was at that Shores/NSD game today. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I noticed NSD had one sub so I asked a parent if that’s usual. I was told their starting center and center back were missing plus another bench player. Not sure if that’s why the game was one sided. Although it was 9-6 Shores at half. Shores is deep. The NSD lefty is solid.

McKlintock
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby McKlintock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:03 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:CCA: Looks like Trojan is the top seed in 18’s and LA Premier for 16’s. Is Premier playing all their Young guns in 16’s this year?

Looks like Flacks has a pretty good crop of 16's and 18's. If Flacks history* is an indicator (*which is similar in style to the former great "Segesman school of thought")...Flacks could care less about winning 16's, he tends to try and have his players always "play-up" (whenever possible). Last but certainly not least...Flacks primarily focuses on winning CIF-SS Div 1. Everything he does is geared towards that particular end-game...even if that means not getting 1st place in 16u at JO's.

Can someone explain why LA Premier 16s, a team that won the JO quals for their zone, is not entered in JOs?

And why didn't Pride even have an entry into JO quals for 18s in their zone? They have been playing 18s all year (Futures, etc).

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm

McKlintock wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:CCA: Looks like Trojan is the top seed in 18’s and LA Premier for 16’s. Is Premier playing all their Young guns in 16’s this year?

Looks like Flacks has a pretty good crop of 16's and 18's. If Flacks history* is an indicator (*which is similar in style to the former great "Segesman school of thought")...Flacks could care less about winning 16's, he tends to try and have his players always "play-up" (whenever possible). Last but certainly not least...Flacks primarily focuses on winning CIF-SS Div 1. Everything he does is geared towards that particular end-game...even if that means not getting 1st place in 16u at JO's.

Can someone explain why LA Premier 16s, a team that won the JO quals for their zone, is not entered in JOs?

And why didn't Pride even have an entry into JO quals for 18s in their zone? They have been playing 18s all year (Futures, etc).

My educated guess is LA Premier doesn't have enough players to field a deep 16's AND 18's team at JO's. Again, Flack's primary focus is having his best 16's players always play-up in 18's. Yet another educated guess; Flack's probably played his 16's eligible players in the coastal zone quals just for the practice AND for the heck of it.

As far as Pride is concerned, It appears Kocur gave up playing any graduating seniors in 18's. The Pride group that still remains that you are referring to,...is probably his non-graduating senior Oaks Christian HS group. Had he entered them into JO's 18u...they probably wouldn't have done very well. Just a guess on my part. However, Pride is seeded second in 16's JO's. Looks like Kocur decided to focus on a possible 16's win instead.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 pm

I’d say 2Ply nailed it. Their 16u team would have a great shot to win as they are a young group. I think most of their best players are gong to be juniors except for Bucur and Maloney. So they couldn’t really field both at JO’s. I suspect Flacks is just getting them as many games as they can. I remember last year at Futures finals they had guys playing on both the 16 and 18 team. As far as Oaks goes you have to wonder....no 18’s because Jake didn’t want to play for them or is he not playing for them because Kocur didn’t want to?

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote: As far as Oaks goes you have to wonder....no 18’s because Jake didn’t want to play for them or is he not playing for them because Kocur didn’t want to?

I think it's a little bit of both. Both Jake and Jack are tired of losing so Jake mosied on over to the Cozy Boys for a decent chance to win something...and Jack wants to try and win anything...anything at all. The long-term future of Oaks Christian water polo hangs in the balance and Jack needs a promotional win. His 16's team is the only real shot he has.

On a side note,...I still haven't found out why Kocur received a red-card at Futures and had to forfeit their game for the 7th/8th spot. I don't know if he received it during the game or if Jack and/or his team made the decision not to show up. After all, it was for 7th place...he was probably pretty mad by then.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm

I think Oaks Christian entered the elite circle of hs water polo programs at least as fast as Mater Dei did a decade ago. And actually they won CIF SS Div III Championship, if I remember correctly. As for their graduated CD, my guess is that he will probably win one or two National Championships at USC before he is done there.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29 pm

wpolo93 wrote:I think Oaks Christian entered the elite circle of hs water polo programs at least as fast as Mater Dei did a decade ago. And actually they won CIF SS Div III Championship, if I remember correctly.

That's not good enough for Kocur.

wpolo93 wrote:As for their graduated CD, my guess is that he will probably win one or two National Championships at USC before he is done there.

Which has nothing to do with what's going on now.

Irvbeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, informed observer

Postby Irvbeck » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:23 pm

What are you talking about with Kocur? Is there something behind the scenes? I’m confused or not interpreting what you’re saying. “Tired of losing”?

OCS was 2-22 the year prior to “Jack & Jake” arriving. Then I think they made it to the 2nd Round of CIF playoffs, the next year won CIF DIII, then made the DI Finals this past year. I doubt they would have beaten Mater Dei if they’d played 10x, but quite a turnaround. We’ll see if they can sustain that level. They have a Junior that’s very very good now; Alika (so) from Hawaii.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Irvbeck wrote:What are you talking about with Kocur? Is there something behind the scenes? I’m confused or not interpreting what you’re saying. “Tired of losing”?

OCS was 2-22 the year prior to “Jack & Jake” arriving. Then I think they made it to the 2nd Round of CIF playoffs, the next year won CIF DIII, then made the DI Finals this past year. I doubt they would have beaten Mater Dei if they’d played 10x, but quite a turnaround. We’ll see if they can sustain that level. They have a Junior that’s very very good now; Alika (so) from Hawaii.

I'm well aware of what Oaks was "before Jack". I'm also well aware of MD "before Chris". But I also don't put these two coaches in the same category. Just a guess, but I don't see Jack being able to sustain anything close to the manufactured team he had last year.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Irvbeck wrote:What are you talking about with Kocur? Is there something behind the scenes? I’m confused or not interpreting what you’re saying. “Tired of losing”?

I'm well aware of what Oaks was "before Jack". I'm also well aware of MD "before Chris". But I also don't put these two coaches in the same category. Just a guess, but I don't see Jack being able to sustain anything close to the manufactured team he had last year.

We'll see. They are going to have on campus dorms in 2019. I could see Oaks being the San Jose State of high school water polo.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

We'll see. They are going to have on campus dorms in 2019. I could see Oaks being the San Jose State of high school water polo.

Well, it's possible Oaks has a very a large endowment fund. Not sure if they want to spend it on water polo players though. If Kocur can tap into that he could buy new recruits on a yearly basis since the cost of going to that school is prohibited to most...especially foreigners. As far as Jack himself "being a draw" for players to attend Oaks...I'll leave that up for debate. But I think you know my opinion about him already.

poloredux
How are you connected to water polo?: fan and observer

Postby poloredux » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
SwimCoach wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
waterballer wrote:I don’t think the sophomore to be at Harvard has any business playing though. That is taking it too far in my opinion.

On the surface, I agree with you , but why? It is an age group tournament. Maybe his parents should have held him back a year (or two) to make it even.

He is in college. I’m surprised his coach is letting him. Could you imagine Jovan or Adam letting one of their players do this?

USC had a womens team member, who was of age for the USAWP event, play for her previous club team last summer at JO'S. So not that hard to imagine.

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Postby jlweath » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Mistake

Return to “US Junior Olympics”