2018 NJO Tournament Discussion - Session 1 - July 21-24

JO's
Irvbeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, informed observer

Re: 2018 NJO Tournament Discussion - Session 1 - July 21-24

Postby Irvbeck » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:19 pm

It would be interesting and likely irritating/entertaining to get 2Ply's perspective.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:20 pm

wplover wrote:I watched the game, but didn't stay for the medals - honestly nobody was cheering for the Cozy Boys from what I saw. If that is true, I wish we had. That is true class and sportsmanship, and I am very impressed. Wish all the boys watching had stayed to see that too.

It's a lesson to us all, congrats to Cozy Boys!

I'm not really interested in feel-good stories at this age. For the 12's, sure.

My takeaway here was that Cozy Boys got played a lot closer than most expected. They should have been far more dominating and should be taking a look at why they weren't.

Bigger story to me on the boys' side is Vanguard. The 12's were a mile better than any other team there, and the 14's were tough as nails. That should be what people are talking about.

glowinthedark
How are you connected to water polo?: Bird Dog observer

Postby glowinthedark » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:24 pm

wplover wrote:I watched the game, but didn't stay for the medals - honestly nobody was cheering for the Cozy Boys from what I saw. If that is true, I wish we had. That is true class and sportsmanship, and I am very impressed. Wish all the boys watching had stayed to see that too.

It's a lesson to us all, congrats to Cozy Boys!

Agreed.
:idea:

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:10 pm

badboy wrote:
My takeaway here was that Cozy Boys got played a lot closer than most expected. They should have been far more dominating and should be taking a look at why they weren't.

Really? Stanford is a very good team and those boys played together forever. Yes, United were the favorites and they won. Congratulations to the best two teams of the tournament.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:16 pm

badboy wrote:My takeaway here was that Cozy Boys got played a lot closer than most expected. They should have been far more dominating and should be taking a look at why they weren't.

The most individual talent does not always equate to the best team, especially with little time to practice together and gel. The Stanford kids are very skilled, have played together for a long time and make up a heck of a team.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Irvbeck wrote:It would be interesting and likely irritating/entertaining to get 2Ply's perspective.

Unfortunately for me I was unable to witness the unfolding of the classy feel-good story that happened between the Dynamo and CB teams. I wasn't in a position to see what was going on. It sounds like it was a very nice gesture, though. However, I was in a great position to see what happened in the game between CB vs 680. Not a whole lotta love or class going' on there. All I can say is thank goodness the Dynamo boy's didn't see what happened in that game.

I find it interesting that no one has really talked about how the final between Stanford vs CB played out (by those who actually saw it). Sounds like it was a tough battle and great game. I would have an opinion about it...but my opinion about a game I didn't see would be purely speculative. One last thing, all this talk about running up scores though is pretty bogus...it's JO's. Everyone who's there knows what to expect...and what not to.

Irvbeck

Postby Irvbeck » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:31 pm

The 680 game brutality penalty called on the UCB player was overturned by USAWP once they saw the video and who initiated the fracas. To my knowledge it was not overturned for the 680 player, but I could be wrong.

FastBreak
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby FastBreak » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 am

Irvbeck wrote:The 680 game brutality penalty called on the UCB player was overturned by USAWP once they saw the video and who initiated the fracas. To my knowledge it was not overturned for the 680 player, but I could be wrong.

The 680 player didn’t receive a brutality call. A 680 player and a CB player were both ejected from the game but a different CB player received a brutality call when he swam over and CB were 2 on 1 punching the 680 player. There was no brutality call on the 680 player, only on the CB player who swam over; 680 got a penalty shot and played up a man for 4 min.

You can say what you want about a blowout early game but going 2 on 1 is low class in my book.

Gobama
How are you connected to water polo?: Yes

Postby Gobama » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:41 am

FastBreak wrote:You can say what you want about a blowout early game but going 2 on 1 is low class in my book.

F that. Somebody is going after my teammate and you best believe I am getting in there, its not about class at that point its protecting your teammate.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 am

FastBreak wrote:
Irvbeck wrote:The 680 game brutality penalty called on the UCB player was overturned by USAWP once they saw the video and who initiated the fracas. To my knowledge it was not overturned for the 680 player, but I could be wrong.

The 680 player didn’t receive a brutality call. A 680 player and a CB player were both ejected from the game but a different CB player received a brutality call when he swam over and CB were 2 on 1 punching the 680 player. There was no brutality call on the 680 player, only on the CB player who swam over; 680 got a penalty shot and played up a man for 4 min.

You can say what you want about a blowout early game but going 2 on 1 is low class in my book.

Yea...the "third man in"...will usually argue that he only did this to protect his teammate from the brutish and thuggish aggressor...I watch a lot of hockey, so I know exactly what the thought process is. However, in this particular instance, there was absolutely no reason to "pile on". So yes, file this particular incident under the category of "low class". But, as we are we are told by several here, the CB's redeemed themselves in the end with a simple gesture towards those who are less fortunate. As the old saying goes: Remember to be nice to people on your way up because you'll also meet them on your way down.

Irvbeck

Postby Irvbeck » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 am

The "third man in" wasn't the one who was called for the brutality then overturned; he received a misconduct and had to miss the next game.

The gesture as you put it, came FROM the Dynamo team and coaches. Meaning, they sought-out the UCB team to take part because they'd had such a good experience. Should I assume the 2 less fortunate teams Vanguard ran-up the score against had the same admiration as the Dynamo kids expressed for UCB and followed them to games they could attend including the 3rd Place game, then joined them on-deck at Stanford?

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Irvbeck wrote:The "third man in" wasn't the one who was called for the brutality then overturned; he received a misconduct and had to miss the next game.

The gesture as you put it, came FROM the Dynamo team and coaches. Meaning, they sought-out the UCB team to take part because they'd had such a good experience. Should I assume the 2 less fortunate teams Vanguard ran-up the score against had the same admiration as the Dynamo kids expressed for UCB and followed them to games they could attend including the 3rd Place game, then joined them on-deck at Stanford?

You still haven't indicated why you are so defensive about this team. It's a little weird.

Irvbeck

Postby Irvbeck » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Not defensive, just get tired of seeing the myopic and one-sided opinions expressed by the "experts" from OC.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Irvbeck wrote:The "third man in" wasn't the one who was called for the brutality then overturned; he received a misconduct and had to miss the next game.

Look Irv...yet again you're "missing the point altogether". This seems to be your modus operandi. Do you do this on purpose? "Intent" was clearly evident, he was the third man in and thus the misconduct call, game exclusion and subsequent red-card. Whether he connected or was closed fisted in his attempt "to protect his teammate" is irrelevant. I rest my case.

Shall we talk about who the "original combatants" were...and who the "instigator" was? And please spare me the argument that it "was the other guy". I seem to recall this particular CB individual getting rolled for the same thing not that long ago...and many times before that. How 'bout this,...let's not talk about it because I'm not going to name names,...and neither should you. But rest assured, most people know who I'm talking about. My point being, there is a reason why I'm here,...because you invited and challenged me to be "irritating/entertaining" and I think I've done what you've asked me to do. Also, my other point is not everybody is buying what you and others trying to sell here...that the CB were "classy". I also don't have the same "admiration" for the CB team that Dynamo has. That's all. Did the CB team deserve to win? Yes, because they beat everybody else they played. That's it.

I will tell you this, the team I have the most respect for was Stanford...they actually function "as a team". Let's hope Dejan was taking notes...but I doubt it.

Irvbeck

Postby Irvbeck » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:47 pm

You mention Dejan. Did he make an appearance anywhere during the tournament? Seems like it would have been nice to have a show of face by the guy in-charge of our entire Men's National Team program. You'd think USAWP would have him present, visit some games, shake a few hands, maybe hold a seminar or give a speech, be at the Final games... there seems to be a disconnect.

How about this? Tony recently retired, went to Stanford, etc etc. Why wouldn't they ask him to be involved? The SoCal kids know who he his, but the "out of CA" kids may not or have a chance to meet him. Have him give a speech, talk to the crowd, host an autograph signing, something.

Lastly, who chose the cover photo of the program?

Return to “US Junior Olympics”