2019 NJO Qualification Tournaments

JO's
jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

2019 NJO Qualification Tournaments

Postby jlweath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

Just to start this thread.

Of Note there has been some re-alignment between the Coastal Zone and the Central Zone, read below:

USA Water Polo

USA Water Polo Announces Realignment Between Coastal California & Central California Zones

Aug. 14, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA - August 14, 2018 - On the heels of changes made to California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) section alignment, USA Water Polo has announced zone realignment for the Coastal California and Central California Zones. The realignment mirrors changes made to the CIF sections allowing athletes living in each area to pursue high school and Olympic Development Program water polo without overlap or disruption.

The move will see all clubs and athletes based in San Luis Obispo County and parts of north Santa Barbara County (Santa Maria, Orcutt, Guadalupe and Casmalia) move from the Coastal California Zone to the Central California Zone. The majority of the high schools corresponding to these areas are moving from the CIF-Southern Section to the CIF-Central Section. Girl's high school water polo is played in the winter in the Southern Section and in the fall in the Central Section. This move will allow athletes to avoid an overlap of high school competition and ODP training camps.

"With endorsement of both USA Water Polo Central and Coastal zone boards and in an effort to better serve our members, we are pleased to expand the Central Zone boundary to ensure the members in these areas can maximize their participation opportunities consistent with the new CIF season," said Christy Sicard, USA Water Polo Senior Director, Membership & Development.

This change comes recommended by the San Luis Obispo county and North Santa Barbara county water polo clubs in addition to the Central California Zone board and USA Water Polo staff. Athletes remain free as always to play with their club of choice. For information on the change, click here. For more details on how the high schools in the area are affected, click here for a news story from KSBY.

San Luis Obispo County Zip Codes Moving To Central California Zone
93446, 93420, 93421, 93422, 93423, 93424, 93402, 93407, 93410, 93428,
93451, 93430, 93461, 93432, 93433, 93483, 93435, 93443, 93444, 93448,
93449, 93452, 93403, 93405, 93406, 93409, 93453, 93461, 93446, 93412,
93442, 93445, 93475, 93447, 93401, 93408, 93465

North Santa Barbara County Zip Codes Moving To Central California Zone
SANTA MARIA - 93454, 93455, 93456, 93457, 93458
ORCUTT - 93455, 93456, 93457
GUADALUPE - 93434
CASMALIA - 93429

jlweath
How are you connected to water polo?: Was a player, age group coach, two sons played through college, and I am a fan

Re: 2019 NJO Qualification Tournaments

Postby jlweath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

Allocations and Seeding

2019 Preliminary Allocations

SESSION ONE QUALIFIED TEAMS - will be announced after Zone Qualification Tournaments have concluded

SESSION TWO QUALIFIED TEAMS - will be announced after Zone Qualification Tournaments have concluded

Rules on Allocations & Seeding from the Conduct of Championships:

Allocations
6.3(c) National Junior Olympics. The maximum number of teams in each age group and gender division (each age group and gender division is a distinct Championship) of the National Junior Olympics shall be determined by the USA Water Polo national office. The USA Water Polo national office shall allocate the maximum number of team entries for each USA Water Polo Zone based on the number of USA Water Polo athlete members in each age group and gender in each Zone as of December 31 of the year prior to the year in which the Championship is held; provided, however, that each Zone shall have at least one entry allocated to it for each age/gender group. The teams eligible to compete in the National Junior Olympic Championship Finals shall be determined in Zone Qualifying Tournaments as set forth in this Conduct of Championships.

6.3(e) If application of the rules set forth above fail to provide for the teams required to complete the field for a Championship Finals, the remaining teams required to complete the field for a Championship Finals shall be selected by the CFMC by allocating the remaining entries to the Zones based on USA Water Polo Zone membership size as of December 31 of the previous year for the age group and gender group of the Championship Finals for which additional teams are required, beginning with the largest Zone (based on membership for the respective age group and gender as of December 31 of the prior year) in accordance with the following: (a) each Zone will be allocated entries equal to a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of members in that Zone (as specified above) and the denominator of which is the total number of USA Water Polo members (as specified above) times the number of teams needed to complete the field for the Championship Finals, (b) in the event that the entries allocated to a Zone in accordance with the foregoing provision do not equal a whole number, the number of entries shall be rounded to the nearest whole number, (c) in the event that the foregoing rounding produces a result allocating more entries than are available, entries shall be allocated to Zones based upon the size of the unrounded fraction as determined above, and (d) in the event that a Zone is allocated entries pursuant to this provision that exceed the number of teams entered in the Championships (or a team entered in the Championships decline to participate in the Championship Finals), the additional vacant entries so created shall be reallocated to other Zones as provided herein.

Seeding
6.4(d) The Championship Finals for National Junior Olympics and the Champions Cup shall be seeded based upon the results of the prior year's National Junior Olympics and Champions Cup, respectively, in each age/gender bracket as follows:

Each Zone shall submit the final standings for all teams participating in its Zone Qualifying Tournament to USA Water Polo within 48 hours of the completion of the tournament.
The team placing first in the Zone Qualifying Tournament from the Zone of the team that placed first in the prior year's Championship in each age/gender group shall be the first seeded team in the current year's Championship Finals. The highest unseeded team from the Zone of the team that placed second in the prior year's Championship in each age/gender group shall be the second seeded team in the current year's Championship Finals, and so forth until all teams from Zones having teams that participated in the prior year's Championship Finals have been seeded. After each of the foregoing teams has been seeded, the CFMC shall seed any remaining teams using the Random Draw Method.

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am

Some more boilerplate info on Qualification from USAWP

Qualification

Process of qualifying
Teams must qualify through their particular zone. Your team must register for your division's zone qualifier prior to registering for the Junior Olympics tournament. After completion of your zone tournament, your placement will determine your qualification in the JOs based on the FINAL allocations posted online. Please visit the JO allocations tab (above) to see how this is determined.

Regional Qualifier Quarter Length
For Regional Qualifiers, please follow NJO RULES (see rules tab below) inline with per day quarter lengths, HOWEVER, you should not change to a new quarter length until a "round" or "format type" has been completed as to not give an unfair advantage to a team or group of teams. Ex: In the 12&U division, quarter lengths are 5-6-6-6, if pool play begins on Day 1 and continues into Day 2, the same quarter length (5min) shall be used to complete pool play on Day 2; before advancing to 6 minute quarters for the remainder of tournament play

Championship Division
The Championship Division is an elite tournament with the top teams from each zone qualifying. This division will offer big courses, longer quarters and a competitive National Championship atmosphere. As the tournament progresses, teams will be divided into two sub-divisions, platinum and gold.

Classic Division
The Classic Division is for teams who participated in their Zone Qualifying tournaments but do not qualify for the Junior Olympic Championship Division. Its purpose is to create a tier of competition offering players and programs a national end-of-summer tournament with the excitement and atmosphere found only at the Junior Olympics. As the tournament progresses, teams will be divided into two sub-divisions silver and bronze.

Invitational Division
The Invitational Division was created in order to give developing teams and clubs an opportunity competition with teams of similar skill level while still being involved in the intense atmosphere that encompasses the National Junior Olympics. The goal is to provide teams with a competitive end-of-summer tournament. As the tournament progresses, teams will be divided into two sub-divisions, nickel and copper.

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Here is the information I finally found that was buried in a text statement that includes dates and Zone Qualification activities.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MI_5pOCSVzP2gqlGC04A__DjRZwhWxV1_Jsx-oxpBA4/edit#gid=0

Link to the 2019 NJO page

https://usawaterpolo.org/sports/2018/12/19/junior-olympics.aspx#tourn-info

I am adding an attachment for defining boundaries for the 11 different zones. There have been changes to the Central and Coastal

2019 Water Polo Zones.pdf
(26.6 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Here is my start of the 2019 NJO top 12 seeds by zone from the results of the 2018 NJO's

Session 1 (Boys)

2018 Boys Session 1 Top 12 Finishes.pdf
(34.46 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

Session 2 (Mixed and Girls)

2018 Girls Session 2 Top 12 Finishes.pdf
(38.55 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

kernsting
How are you connected to water polo?: Daughter plays in Pacific zone. Involved dad and photographer.

Postby kernsting » Fri May 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks, this is helpful. I usually sort this year's seeds from last year's results and this years qualification tournaments to get an early idea of where our team may be placed and whom they may play - the structure is predicable (only for the division my kid is in). I am dreading the re-alignment of zones for this year's process.

Also having trouble finding the Coastal Ca zone page, it appears to have been taken over by a design studio.
Last edited by kernsting on Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

kernsting
How are you connected to water polo?: Daughter plays in Pacific zone. Involved dad and photographer.

Postby kernsting » Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Is there any idea of how USAWP and clubs will handle the new 12U Coed division? My daughter plays with her club's 14U girls (no 12U girls team), but is also available for the 12U Coed team. I am concerned that since the boys are in a separate session, clubs could put their A-boys with a few "token" (or talented) girls and overpower the division. I am hoping the division will be for clubs that don't have enough players (or too many players - overflows) for both a 12U boys and girls (like ours), but have my concerns about how this will work out. She did play in the coed 10U and had a great experience, but the boys have gotten bigger and stronger now, and being in a different session there seems to be nothing from USAWP to prevent this happening. I can see the other side that it gives the 12U girls from clubs without a 12U girls team a place to play, but perhaps fielding both a 12U Boys and Coed team with the same players should not be allowed?

The more I think about this the more I can see the Coed becoming a second boys tournament with the top teams dominating both. It seems the best solution would be to limit players to only one 12U team.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 am

USAWP has stated that teams will only be able to have players to play on a 12U Coed, 12U Boys, or 12U Girls but will not be allowed to do two of these. You could def play 2 teams if they are different age brackets (I.e. a 12 year old boy could play 12U Coed and 14U boys), but they will not be able to do 12U Boys and 12U Coed.

The 12U Coed Division has been pretty mellow at most tourneys so far this year (6 teams or so), so I’d imagine it’s going to be one of the smaller brackets at JOs but I’m so glad they are giving clubs the opportunity to build these coed teams.

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Sun May 05, 2019 6:12 pm

retiredguy wrote:USAWP has stated that teams will only be able to have players to play on a 12U Coed, 12U Boys, or 12U Girls but will not be allowed to do two of these. You could def play 2 teams if they are different age brackets (I.e. a 12 year old boy could play 12U Coed and 14U boys), but they will not be able to do 12U Boys and 12U Coed.

The 12U Coed Division has been pretty mellow at most tourneys so far this year (6 teams or so), so I’d imagine it’s going to be one of the smaller brackets at JOs but I’m so glad they are giving clubs the opportunity to build these coed teams.

Thanks for the update on this. Below is a link to the USAWP changes for the 2019 NJO

https://usawaterpolo.org/news/2019/2/26/events-changes-announced-for-2019-junior-olympics.aspx

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 am

Here are the Zone Qualification dates. Quals start end of May

Central CA
- 10, 12, 14, 16, 18U Boys June 21-23
- 10, 12, 14, 16, 18U, 10UM, 12UM Girls/Mixed June 28-30

Coastal CA
- 10U ALL 12U ALL, 14U All May 31 - June 2
- 16, 18U Boys June 7-9
- 16, 18U Girls June 14-16

Midwest
- All June 14-16

Mountain
- All June 21-23 *seeding TBD by conference call

Northeast
- All May 31 - June 2

Pacific
- 16U All June 8-9 & June 14-16
- 12U Girls & Mixed, 14U, 18U June 14-16 (& June 21-23 for 14U Boys and 18U)
- 10U ALL, 12U Boys June 21-23

PNW&H
- 16U, 18UBoys June 27-28
- 10U, 12U, 14U- ALL, 16U Girls, 18U Girls June 29-30

Pacific Southwest
- 10U, 12U, 14U All May 28- June 2
- 16U, 18U All June 17-23

Southeast
- All June 7-9

Southern Pacific
- 10U, 12U, 14U All May 31- June 2
- 16U, 18U All June 21-23

Southwest
- 14U, 12U, 10U All June 7-9
- 16U, 18U All June 14-16

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Below is my projected Zone Seeds for the top 24 slots for the 2019 NJO's for Session 1 and Session 2. If you see any errors let me know. I have filled in the Zone Seeds with the Zone identifier and a numeric (their Zone Qualification Placement) in each cell (SOPAC1 is SOPAC top qualifier)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ap8sgCkTa2tOgf_hJ_V44hdy48jgFeK7a3xxSlfeTvY/edit?usp=sharing

Once the quals start, hopefully, I will get enough results to fill in the seed teams for the top 24.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 pm

jlweath,

Thank you. BTW, Preliminary allocation gives SoPac zone 7 teams in 18u boys Championship Div, not 8. However, it is quite possible that the final allocation number for SoPac will be indeed 8 taking into account the new rule that allows zones ( clubes?) to choose to play in Classic instead of Championship.

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Sun May 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Some Qualifications start up next week:

Coastal CA
- 10U ALL 12U ALL, 14U All - May 31 - June 2

Northeast
- All May 31 - June 2

Pacific Southwest
- 10U, 12U, 14U All -May 28- June 2

Southern Pacific
- 10U, 12U, 14U All -May 31- June 2

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Sun May 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Link to the Southern Pacific (SOPAC) Younger Qualifications brackets and Schedules for May 31- June 2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WJ8rMZCRX1cRvg32ckdSRX3k2t_yzD-bDXluHFSeyWY/edit#gid=76967814

jlweath

Postby jlweath » Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Here is the link to the Coastal NJO website with the page for their 2019 JO Qualifier page with brackets and schedules. The coastal zone usually does a good job of getting their schedules up and results posted.

https://www.coastalcazone.com/josquals2019
Last edited by jlweath on Tue May 28, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “US Junior Olympics”