7. Stanford
8. Rosebowl
9. PV
10. LB Shore

WaPoSaD
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2019 JO 16U Boys

Postby WaPoSaD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 pm

As an experiment in crowdsourcing, I took the last six top 10 ratings, dropped the high and low predicted finish for each team, and averaged the rest (giving a 12 rank if a team is off someone’s list). Here’s the resulting consensus, with average rank after the team name:

1. CCU (1)
2. SoCal (2)
3. Vanguard (3.25)
4. Trojan (4.25)
5. SD Shores (5.25)
6. PV (8.25)
7. Rose Bowl (8.5)
8. La Jolla (9.25)
9. LB Shore (9.75)
10. OCWPC (11.5)

We will see soon enough whether the consensus or any individual got closest.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:As an experiment in crowdsourcing, I took the last six top 10 ratings, dropped the high and low predicted finish for each team, and averaged the rest (giving a 12 rank if a team is off someone’s list). Here’s the resulting consensus, with average rank after the team name:

1. CCU (1)
2. SoCal (2)
3. Vanguard (3.25)
4. Trojan (4.25)
5. SD Shores (5.25)
6. PV (8.25)
7. Rose Bowl (8.5)
8. La Jolla (9.25)
9. LB Shore (9.75)
10. OCWPC (11.5)

What seed is La Jolla? I’m a little skeptical of that one but what do I Know

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:30 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:As an experiment in crowdsourcing, I took the last six top 10 ratings, dropped the high and low predicted finish for each team, and averaged the rest (giving a 12 rank if a team is off someone’s list). Here’s the resulting consensus, with average rank after the team name:

1. CCU (1)
2. SoCal (2)
3. Vanguard (3.25)
4. Trojan (4.25)
5. SD Shores (5.25)
6. PV (8.25)
7. Rose Bowl (8.5)
8. La Jolla (9.25)
9. LB Shore (9.75)
10. OCWPC (11.5)

I think CCU, SoCal, and Vanguard are the likely medalists, but Stanford, even with Griffen Price playing up, is better than most of the teams on this list. I will be surprised if they don't finish in the top 4 or 5. I will also be surprised if Lamorinda doesn't finish in the top 10.

IpayBar

Postby IpayBar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:51 am

jeff wrote:

1. CCU (1)
2. SoCal (2)
3. Vanguard (3.25)
4. Trojan (4.25)
5. SD Shores (5.25)
6. PV (8.25)
7. Rose Bowl (8.5)
8. La Jolla (9.25)
9. LB Shore (9.75)
10. OCWPC (11.5)

I think CCU, SoCal, and Vanguard are the likely medalists, but Stanford, even with Griffen Price playing up, is better than most of the teams on this list. I will be surprised if they don't finish in the top 4 or 5. I will also be surprised if Lamorinda doesn't finish in the top 10.

Your first 5 are pretty rock solid. The 6th to 10th is shaky. PV at 6th is a little high. No LAMO, no Stanford and no LA Premier. Didn't Stanford play CCU really close at quals? I think PV, LA Premier, del mar, ocwpc, Patriots, and several others will be right on cusp for a 10th spot.

Stanford and Lamo have to figure into this listing

PoloNHB

Postby PoloNHB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 pm

jeff wrote:

1. CCU (1)
2. SoCal (2)
3. Vanguard (3.25)
4. Trojan (4.25)
5. SD Shores (5.25)
6. PV (8.25)
7. Rose Bowl (8.5)
8. La Jolla (9.25)
9. LB Shore (9.75)
10. OCWPC (11.5)

I think WaPoSaD's calculations are off as I don't recall seeing any top 10's that didn't include Stanford. Good point on LAMO as I think everyone has just forgot about them with how strong CCU and Stanford are expected to be.

PoloNHB

Postby PoloNHB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 pm

IpayBar wrote:Your first 5 are pretty rock solid. The 6th to 10th is shaky. PV at 6th is a little high. No LAMO, no Stanford and no LA Premier. Didn't Stanford play CCU really close at quals? I think PV, LA Premier, del mar, ocwpc, Patriots, and several others will be right on cusp for a 10th spot. Stanford and Lamo have to figure into this listing

I think everyone is dismissing LA Premier because we don't know who exactly will be playing on the 16u team at JO's. Saw them at USCC and the 16u team was mostly a combination of boys that were also rostered on either the 18u team or 14u team. They could be good, or they could decide to not even send a team. I guess we will see soon enough.

MattsDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of a water polo player.

Postby MattsDad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Last year, LA Premiere did not field a 16U team for JO's. It is likely that they will do that again. LA Premiere competed last year at 18U with essentially the HW varsity team. The club/school uses JO's to prepare for high school season.

P0L0
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby P0L0 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm

MattsDad wrote:Last year, LA Premiere did not field a 16U team for JO's. It is likely that they will do that again. LA Premiere competed last year at 18U with essentially the HW varsity team. The club/school uses JO's to prepare for high school season.

JO schedule just posted and LAP entered. Guess we will have to wait and see who they send.

BayBoy
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters player - longtime supporter - love the game.

Postby BayBoy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Agreed. Stanford will absolutely be in the mix from 4-10. SoCal and CCU are in a separate class, with Vanguard keeping them honest (traditionally).

After those three, assuming Vanguard fields a similar squad in this group since they were 12us, Stanford could place 4. So could Trojan, RB, etc...

An equally interesting debate is which team breaks through versus two years ago, with Redlands fielding Hungarians and SD Shores having another two years to play w their big center, and against improved competition
in Del Mar and La Jolla. 680 seems to be the big loss from this division.

wpfanatic
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby wpfanatic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:51 pm

My top ten list:
1. CCU (Very powerful team with great talent, majority of the 680 kids made the transition over).
2. Socal (Assuming that Guillermo will stay up at 18s due to the fact that they are ranked 1st in 18s).
3. Vanguard (Very strong team if they are working together, can be emotional and argue with each other and has conflicts with one another).
4. Trojan (Depth is what this team has, they push the counter with all 6 and they sub 6 for 6 so everyone is refreshed. If they don't sub that's when they breakdown and become vulnerable).
5. Rose Bowl (I was debating if this team deserved this spot but with review of this team, this is a very emotional squad and their emotions determine how they play. They have an incredible 45 side with two of the most dominant lefty's and a remarkable goalie. This team depending on how they react can rank anywhere, they are my wild card slot).
6. Stanford (a lot of talent on this team I have only seen them play once earlier in the season but with the near ending results they've had they seem to be a very strong team).
7. SD Shores (A very one-dimensional team with one dominant player while the rest of the team tries to feed him. Very emotional and can be broken down late in the game).
8. LB Shore (A phenomenal team, they push counter very hard with great speed with two big guys pushing the center lane with such force and speed).
9. PV (Very strong attacker with other pieces that work very well together, very fast team who pushes counter with a pretty good goalie, also heard they might move kids up to 18s? Very well disciplined team).
10. ORWP (One-dimensional, everybody on that team can shoot, very emotional, and not disciplined at all).

I would say the top three rankings are locked but anywhere from 4 and below is going to be a fight. With players returning to their teams from national team it is going to be a whole different ball game (Socal, Vanguard, Rose bowl, etc.). For other teams such as La Primer, Renegades, La Jolla United, Del Mar, etc. They have some harder paths to reach the top 10 that is why I believe they will fall under it. For La Primer I am assuming Flacks will move all of his kids up to 18s. Overall, this is my top 10 list for the 2019 Junior Olympics Session 1

IpayBar

Postby IpayBar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 am

wpfanatic wrote:My top ten list:
1. CCU (Very powerful team with great talent, majority of the 680 kids made the transition over).
2. Socal (Assuming that Guillermo will stay up at 18s due to the fact that they are ranked 1st in 18s).
3. Vanguard (Very strong team if they are working together, can be emotional and argue with each other and has conflicts with one another).
4. Trojan (Depth is what this team has, they push the counter with all 6 and they sub 6 for 6 so everyone is refreshed. If they don't sub that's when they breakdown and become vulnerable).
5. Rose Bowl (I was debating if this team deserved this spot but with review of this team, this is a very emotional squad and their emotions determine how they play. They have an incredible 45 side with two of the most dominant lefty's and a remarkable goalie. This team depending on how they react can rank anywhere, they are my wild card slot).
6. Stanford (a lot of talent on this team I have only seen them play once earlier in the season but with the near ending results they've had they seem to be a very strong team).
7. SD Shores (A very one-dimensional team with one dominant player while the rest of the team tries to feed him. Very emotional and can be broken down late in the game).
8. LB Shore (A phenomenal team, they push counter very hard with great speed with two big guys pushing the center lane with such force and speed).
9. PV (Very strong attacker with other pieces that work very well together, very fast team who pushes counter with a pretty good goalie, also heard they might move kids up to 18s? Very well disciplined team).
10. ORWP (One-dimensional, everybody on that team can shoot, very emotional, and not disciplined at all).

I would say the top three rankings are locked but anywhere from 4 and below is going to be a fight. With players returning to their teams from national team it is going to be a whole different ball game (Socal, Vanguard, Rose bowl, etc.). For other teams such as La Primer, Renegades, La Jolla United, Del Mar, etc. They have some harder paths to reach the top 10 that is why I believe they will fall under it. For La Primer I am assuming Flacks will move all of his kids up to 18s. Overall, this is my top 10 list for the 2019 Junior Olympics Session 1

Great list. Might flip 5 and 7 tho. I watched RB a couple times with everyone. They have been counter attacked by teams that can really swim well. So I'd put Stanford just above them. SD has size pretty much across the board. Very big team that gives most challenges matching up.

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Seems like everyone is sleeping on LAMO and Renegades in 16u. Expect both to cause some problems for the teams most have mentioned in their top 10. These teams came in 5th and 6th at Futures finals. LAMO's only loss at Futures was to PV by 1 goal. Renegades only losses at Futures was to Trojan (7-3) and to LAMO. Even more impressive is that Renegades only loss at SoPac quals was to Socal A in a shootout. I'm not saying they will medal, but they could surprise some teams.

canon
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, sons

Postby canon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Update

1.CCU
2.Socal
3.Vanguard
4.Shore Aquatic
5.San Diego Shore A
6.Rose Bowl
7.LA Premier
8.Stanford
9.PV
10.Tustin

If Guillermo plays 16 then Socal gold and CCU silver

MattsDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of a water polo player.

Postby MattsDad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 pm

McKlintock wrote:Seems like everyone is sleeping on LAMO and Renegades in 16u. Expect both to cause some problems for the teams most have mentioned in their top 10. These teams came in 5th and 6th at Futures finals. LAMO's only loss at Futures was to PV by 1 goal. Renegades only losses at Futures was to Trojan (7-3) and to LAMO. Even more impressive is that Renegades only loss at SoPac quals was to Socal A in a shootout. I'm not saying they will medal, but they could surprise some teams.

Renegades have 3 Hungarian imports that have definitely contributed to the team's recent success.

Return to “US Junior Olympics”