Things to consider after a JO’s as expected

JO's
AJBDieHardFan
How are you connected to water polo?: Son is a player.

Re: Things to consider after a JO’s as expected

Postby AJBDieHardFan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:32 am

SkipShot101 wrote:
FrozenDad wrote:
SkipShot101 wrote:
FrozenDad wrote:As the father of one of "pale boys" teams from Greenwich, one thing that folks constantly asked me was, 'how is Greenwich doing so well?" Objectively speaking, we shouldn't be competitive given how small the pool (pun intended) of athletes our club is able to draw from. While there are a number of obvious reasons, including a wonderful coaching staff and children that are trying as hard as they possibly could, one thing that folks might consider is listening to a Tony Azevedo's pod cast where he talks about how in Europe children's teams don't play so many games. As a result, coaches have a lot more time to work on fundamentals and to fix things that the children are doing wrong; his point being that it when you are playing a game you are trying to win and therefore it is hard to take a step back and focus on doing it the right way rather than on winning the game. Greenwich plays very few competitive games in a season--something that I had previously thought was a disadvantage--but perhaps it is just the opposite. In any case, it is always a joy to be able to leave the indoor pool and have our children play against such outstanding competition.

Ummm...Doesn't Greenwich basically pool kids from the entire eastern seaboard, excluding Florida?!?

Nope. The kids are very much home grown and I would guess that 90% or more live in town.

Oh. I talked to a Greenwich parent at length in 2018 at jos and they told a different story. He said that they pull kids from all over the northeastern states. He said they will usually all get together once or twice to meet each other and train. And sometimes they have a couple of kids that live really far away that only show up with the team at quals or jos and they meet them for the first time there.

The way he was describing it sounded a lot like the old Annapolis team that wolf wigo and his friends played on.

So I'm not sure if I was getting bad information from that parent or from you now.

Greenwich does not pick players and assemble its teams from the entire east coast. Local kids interested in water polo, along with dedicated parents and coaching staff, made the teams.

FrozenDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Confused father

Postby FrozenDad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:24 pm

SkipShot101 wrote:
FrozenDad wrote:
SkipShot101 wrote:
FrozenDad wrote:As the father of one of "pale boys" teams from Greenwich, one thing that folks constantly asked me was, 'how is Greenwich doing so well?" Objectively speaking, we shouldn't be competitive given how small the pool (pun intended) of athletes our club is able to draw from. While there are a number of obvious reasons, including a wonderful coaching staff and children that are trying as hard as they possibly could, one thing that folks might consider is listening to a Tony Azevedo's pod cast where he talks about how in Europe children's teams don't play so many games. As a result, coaches have a lot more time to work on fundamentals and to fix things that the children are doing wrong; his point being that it when you are playing a game you are trying to win and therefore it is hard to take a step back and focus on doing it the right way rather than on winning the game. Greenwich plays very few competitive games in a season--something that I had previously thought was a disadvantage--but perhaps it is just the opposite. In any case, it is always a joy to be able to leave the indoor pool and have our children play against such outstanding competition.

Ummm...Doesn't Greenwich basically pool kids from the entire eastern seaboard, excluding Florida?!?

Nope. The kids are very much home grown and I would guess that 90% or more live in town.

Oh. I talked to a Greenwich parent at length in 2018 at jos and they told a different story. He said that they pull kids from all over the northeastern states. He said they will usually all get together once or twice to meet each other and train. And sometimes they have a couple of kids that live really far away that only show up with the team at quals or jos and they meet them for the first time there.

The way he was describing it sounded a lot like the old Annapolis team that wolf wigo and his friends played on.

So I'm not sure if I was getting bad information from that parent or from you now.

Sorry to say that you got some bad information from the other Greenwich parent last year—I mean it is a real head scratcher. If you look at the rosters from years back, you will see the same kids over and over again going back to when they were ten. We have a few parents who live in NYC and are willing to deal with the commute, but as I wrote earlier 90% or more live in town and they have all been playing together for years. So while we don’t get the benefit of pulling kids from other programs in the area, we do get teams of children that know each other very well and that helps.

FrozenDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Confused father

Postby FrozenDad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:09 am

mwb2001 wrote:At least looking at Greenwich’s 16 and 18u roster seems like all those kids pretty much go to either Brunswick or Greenwich high so I believe it when I hear they’re mostly home grown

You are correct, and you can include the younger teams as well. There are a very few children who come from as far away as NYC, but they still are managing to make nearly all of the practices through the year. So I would guess 95%+ from Greenwich and adjacent towns. If you were to look at the rosters of the teams from years back, you would see essentially all the same players. Sorry that you got some bad information. I think last year we had some older kids added to the 18u team from other clubs, so perhaps that was where the information came from. But I'm certain that the 10s, 12s, 14s and 16s have all been with us for years and years.

SkipShot101
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, fan

Postby SkipShot101 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

FrozenDad wrote:
mwb2001 wrote:At least looking at Greenwich’s 16 and 18u roster seems like all those kids pretty much go to either Brunswick or Greenwich high so I believe it when I hear they’re mostly home grown

You are correct, and you can include the younger teams as well. There are a very few children who come from as far away as NYC, but they still are managing to make nearly all of the practices through the year. So I would guess 95%+ from Greenwich and adjacent towns. If you were to look at the rosters of the teams from years back, you would see essentially all the same players. Sorry that you got some bad information. I think last year we had some older kids added to the 18u team from other clubs, so perhaps that was where the information came from. But I'm certain that the 10s, 12s, 14s and 16s have all been with us for years and years.

Understood. Thanks for clearing it up.
They are definitely a solid team.

Return to “US Junior Olympics”